PDA

View Full Version : Plane Identification

Jim Rimmer
10-20-2009, 10:41 PM
What can you tell me about the planes below? I got them from my Father years ago. How/where do you find the brand name on a plane? (Obviously not a neander here).

I talked with my Mother and will be getting 3 more plus some Disston saws.

Roger Benton
10-20-2009, 11:02 PM
big one looks very much like a stanley defiance no 5 jack plane with an iron that looks to have seen an extreme amount of sharpening...
the defiance line was the 'homeowner' line, while the bailey line was the 'pro' line. i have a defiance no 4 and while it's not as ergonomic or well made as my bailey no 4 it does take nice thin shavings when properly set up.

small one is a block plane of some make... hard to tell exactly what from the one photo. is the mouth adjustable on it?

Roger Benton
10-20-2009, 11:13 PM
How/where do you find the brand name on a plane? (Obviously not a neander here).

I talked with my Mother and will be getting 3 more plus some Disston saws.

look for the brand name stamped somewhere on the blade or cap iron, and look for castings in the body (like where it says 'No. 5').

defiance planes (well, the three i've ever seen) only have the defiance name stamped on the blade, and the model # cast on the front toe.

a stanley bailey bench plane will have 'bailey' cast on the toe with the model #.

miller's falls bench planes will have the logo cast into the cap iron.

not too sure about record tools.

post photos of the next batch of tools!

ps- for more info than you could possibly ever need on stanley planes google 'patrick's blood and gore'.