PDA

View Full Version : Aigner solution to cope and stick joints

Steve Rowe
10-20-2009, 9:35 PM
I used to use homemade jigs for cutting the sticking profile for doors but found it less than optimal given that I ended up redoing it for every project. There are a number of commercial jigs available but, many of these commercial jigs have a rather significant weakness IMO given that your hand passes relatively close to a cutterhead with nothing between your hand and that sharp swinging flesh (oops - wood) cutter.

Aigner makes a jig that solves this safety issue. The name of the jig is the Contermax which I am sure has more meaning in German than it does in English. So here is my sequence for cutting the sticking profile using the Aigner jig (Sequence is left to right, top to bottom):
1) Piece to be profiled
2) Aigner Contermax jig (note that I replaced the vendor supplied fence with my own shop made fence since my cutterhead would have been exposed and would have cut into the screws attaching the original fence)
3) Bottom of jig showing stick profile cut to minimize tearout. The jig is very versatile by user supplied stop blocks milled to the required thickness.
4) Piece to be profiled installed in jig. Note that the clamp knob to the right in the picture is to adjust position of stop block. The knob to the left engages the spring loaded aluminum clamp bar.
5) Sticking being cut. Note that hand is completely shielded from cutterhead and a lot of stable surfaces registering against the table and the fence.
6) Profile has been cut. Pine to the left in the picture is the fence that protected my hands. Note how deep the shaper cutter cut into the fence.
7) Cutting other side of rail. Note that I used the same stop block as before but with a scrap piece of stile inserted in the stopblock to prevent tearout.
8) Completed rail (it was a scrap piece for demonstration purposes only)

I purchased this jig from Simantech but it is also available from Martin USA and Felder. It is certainly more expensive than most other commercial jigs however, the increased safety is worth it and much much less than a trip to the emergency room.

Be safe,
Steve

J.R. Rutter
10-21-2009, 12:14 AM
That's a clever jig. How does the clamp bar function: Does the knob engage and retract it for each piece?

Joe Jensen
10-21-2009, 1:44 AM
On special now at Felder for less than anywhere else I could find.

Steve Rowe
10-21-2009, 5:56 PM
JR
The clamp bar is either engaged or disengaged by the knob at the front end. It is spring loaded. In some of the pictures you can see a gap between the aluminum pieces at the front. When you can see the gap, the clamp is engaged.
Steve

John Harden
10-21-2009, 6:02 PM
Nice use of the jig. I'm not one to do cope and stick very often, or I'd have bought that.

Aigner has spent years figuring out how to make very nice and safe shaper and saw accessories. Spendy, but the quality is right up there with the price.

Here's a link for those not familiar with them. Quite a lot of the Felder accessories are re-branded Aigner products. Nice thing is you then have two sources to buy from and it'll still work on your machine. A lot of the MM and Laguna buyers shop there too.

http://www.martin-usa.com/cms/_main/aigner/catalogue.html

Regards,

John

Roger Jensen
10-21-2009, 6:05 PM
I couldn't find it on the Felder site. Do you have a link or instructions to find it?

Thanks,

Roger

Peter Quinn
10-21-2009, 8:26 PM
Soooo, can you put a dollar amount on that jig? I often check out the Martin site for the Aigner products when I'm looking for answers on the safest way to do some shaper set up, but I have yet to buy anything from them because the price tags are huge and I can usually build at least the same level of functionality into shop made jigs and fences for pennies. Not necessarily the same level of convenience and flexibility mind you.

Thats a great pictorial on a fine jig. Thanks for that post.

John Harden
10-21-2009, 8:32 PM
$160 on sale at the Felder website as part of their Fall sale.

Felderusa.com

When the website opens, click to either download the personal or business promotions catalogue. I quoted the price out of the personal one.

Regards,

John

Steve Rowe
10-21-2009, 8:35 PM
I couldn't find it on the Felder site. Do you have a link or instructions to find it?

Thanks,

Roger

Go to http://www.felderusa.com/ and then click on the "Download Private Promotions" button. It will open up a flyer (takes a while because it is a big file). They have it on special for about $162. I recall paying about $150 for mine about 3 years ago so they haven't gone up a whole lot.

Felder needs to fix their website. These items used to be easy to find under Machine Accessories.
Steve

Wes Grass
10-21-2009, 8:42 PM
Or, 'shop, accessories, workshop accessories, safety accessories'.

Mike Gottlieb
10-21-2009, 9:23 PM
Out of curiosity, what are the advantages of a jig like this over, say, a Woodpecker coping sled?

Jeff Bratt
10-21-2009, 10:51 PM
Other possibilities of a coping sled you can purchase...
http://www.infinitytools.com/Coping_Crosscut-Sleds/products/1382/

Steve Rowe
10-21-2009, 11:05 PM
Out of curiosity, what are the advantages of a jig like this over, say, a Woodpecker coping sled?

At first glance I would say simplicity and speed. It looks like there are 6 adjustment knobs to fiddle with on the woodpecker including 2 thumbscrew type clamps to hold the workpiece. With the Aigner, a one time coarse adjustment for the stop block and a quick flip of the clamp knob and you are ready to go. I also like my workpiece to be on the shaper (or router table) directly and not suspended above. This keeps the cutterhead lower and less prone to contact with the user. Of course the Aigner does not have the 'advantage' of being an 8 lb jig - yikes!:eek:

J.R. Rutter
10-22-2009, 1:07 AM
Simplicity and speed are definitely good on the Aigner. As long as the sacrificial backer attached to the bottom sled is square on the end, you are good to go. Getting square (and staying that way) to a miter slot can be fussy.

I have a pneumatic Ritter TESA sled attached to a linear guide bolted onto a dedicated shaper for coping. But for a universal setup, a jig that registers on the fence is very handy. Thanks for sharing those pics.

Jeff Duncan
10-22-2009, 2:34 PM
I use a simple shop made jig for my coping. Reasons being that nothing I've ever seen as a manufactured offering looks as sturdy or easy to use as mine. Secondly none of them allow me to cope a short (as small as 2-1/2" long) rail as safely as mine. And lastly b/c it's an 8 lb (well in the neighborhood anyway) jig, I like mass when I'm using large cutters;)

I should note I didn't design mine, just took the features I liked best from what other guys have posted before me.

good luck,
JeffD

Joe Calhoon
10-22-2009, 2:52 PM
I have the Aigner device but hardly ever use it for coping because we have better systems for that. At one time we used it for the sticking cut on short rails. It worked good but now have a better technique for that also.
It’s great for one off type work we often do on architectural details. Especially when you are using one cutter in the shaper for both end and long cuts. Easy to set up and safe. Having the Aigner shaper fence as Steve shows or some other type bridging fence is a must with this.

Joe Calhoon

Wayne Sparkman
10-22-2009, 3:52 PM
Can we see some pictures of your coping sled, Mr. Duncan?