PDA

View Full Version : Ski Boat teak swim platform

Gary McNair
10-20-2009, 9:18 PM
New here to the Boat building site. This winter I need to build a teak swim platform for a vintage fiberglass ski boat I'm restoring. The alum transom brackets are already on the boat. Any threads, plans or ideas would be helpful? With teak at a $ky high price, I'm trying to be as frugal as possible.
Thks,
Gary

Bob Smalser
10-20-2009, 9:50 PM
Why not consider Honduras Mahogany instead? Ar 22 bucks a bf for Burmese Teak, Hondo is probably cheaper. It's it's softer than teak but lighter and easier to work. Or, if you want hardness, see if you can find a stack of Khaya (African Mahogany) to pick through. It's harder to work but cheaper still.

Otherwise I've never done one, nor do I have any plans. I'd probably just build a grate to parallel the transom curve out of a more expendible wood like Douglas Fir painted to match the hull, and try that out for a season to test the design..

Brett DeFalco
10-21-2009, 9:12 AM
I'd need to see a picture of the existing brackets and transom before offering a solution.
Swim platforms are not a difficult project, plenty of images on the web to work from.

Ben Hatcher
10-22-2009, 3:02 PM
Gary, I asked about using african mahogany a while back. There were two replies with photos that may help. My solution was to make the slats strait and uniform except for the first and last which were wider for shaping the edge and scribing to the transom.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=113482

randall rosenthal
10-23-2009, 9:37 PM
thanks ben...saved me the trouble of posting it again. still holding up fine and it gets a lot of use.

Gary McNair
10-30-2009, 9:50 PM
Thanks for the replies. Teak is what I'd like to use, it's a cult sorta thing!
I'll try to post some pics of my transom & brackets.
Gary