PDA

View Full Version : chainsaw sawbuck update

tom martin
10-20-2009, 8:56 PM
A few months ago I posted a link for a heavy duty sawbuck. There was some good discussion on what works and what features were important to incorporate. I was at a shop crawl this month and saw this simple version.
One of the issues was lifting and another was portability. This one didn't accommodate either. I thought -what is it had wheels on one end and an extension on the other-you could stand it up on end, strap your log to it with a ratchet strap and then using the wheel for a fulcrum lower the handle to raise it up to cutting height!!!
I got to work on the box-2x6 frame with 2x6 angled uprights. I started looking around the shop for some wheels and thought the ones on my 2 wheel cart would be about the right size.................Hey! forget the wheels and handle. I strapped the box to the hand truck and I was in business. Works great. I cut til dark and was able to raise a 200# maple log without lifting! (This was the same log that sent me to the chiropractor last week when I lifted it into the truck!)
I like the fact that the 2x6's are easily replaced- they all fit in slots with no fasteners, and I can easily wheel it wherever I want. The fact that my el-cheapo hand truck is one of those convertible ones with a second set of wheels near the handle was a plus. I may shorten the 2x's a little to bring the log closer to the wheels to increase leverage, but aside from that I'm a happy camper!

Kyle Iwamoto
10-20-2009, 9:02 PM
Sweet idea! I may have to make one of those..... I just made a sawhorse type design, which works well enough, but not for a back breaking log like that one.

Gary Conklin
10-20-2009, 9:06 PM
That is slick, I like it!

Bernie Weishapl
10-20-2009, 9:12 PM
Great looking piece. Looks like it works well.

Scott Conners
10-20-2009, 9:49 PM
Consider your great idea stolen. I needed to make one now that I'm finally getting my own saw, and this is by far the best design for a shop built sawbuck yet. They say imitation is the finest form of flattery, right?

alex carey
10-20-2009, 9:52 PM
love the idea, i too might have to steal that one day.

George Morris
10-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Also will borrow this idea! Great ! G

Brian Effinger
10-20-2009, 10:08 PM
That's a great idea Tom! :)

I like the fact that the 2x6's are easily replaced- they all fit in slots with no fasteners,

Would you be able to explain how they fit in without fasteners a little bit more (I'm a little slow today, well actually most days :D ) or maybe a photo or two?

Steve Schlumpf
10-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Wow - what a great modification! Way to think things through!

tom martin
10-20-2009, 10:23 PM
Brian,
It's dark and drizzling out right now. I'll post a picture tomorrow when it's light enough to cut the log that's on it and show the detail.
It's really simple though. I started with a rectangular frame, placed two uprights against the inside of one end, then placed a 2x6 next to that going from side to side, which was then nailed into the edge, and repeated that process till the other end. I was fortunate that a 2x4 fits exactly in between the two uprights to wedge them in. (not planned, just dumb luck!).To replace the uprights when they get too cut up, you just remove the 2x4 and the uprights slide out.
Total cost of this was about 4000 btu's and a few nails as they were all cut offs from another project and destined for the kindling pile.

Jon Lanier
10-21-2009, 1:40 PM
Way to think outside the box!

Dave Schell
10-21-2009, 2:32 PM
Sweet idea!. Here is a cheap handtruck for others interested in making one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96324

Chris Stolicky
10-21-2009, 3:44 PM
Good idea. I think I also have that same hand truck....

Brian Brown
10-21-2009, 4:27 PM
Brilliant!!!
A real back saver too.

Ron Lynch
10-21-2009, 7:42 PM
Apparently necessity isn't the mother of invention after all. The sore back is the mother of invention. That's a great solution, though your chiropractor might not think so.

Skip Spaulding
10-21-2009, 7:52 PM
That is agreat idea, my wife will love it, she sure gets tired of lifting!

Ryan Baker
10-21-2009, 9:33 PM
Nice idea!