PDA

View Full Version : I never thought it would work!

Mike Circo
10-20-2009, 5:22 PM
But it did.

My son's `96 Dodge Neon had the common problem of frosted/dull/oxidized headlight lenses. I don't exactly know what causes it, but it is very common in `90s era Chrysler products, others too I assume. At any rate, the headlights were so dim as to be dangerous at night. Using the brights helped somewhat, but generally just irritated other drivers.

So I tried something I had heard about. A 3M Lens Renewal Kit. There are other kits but this one had a head that attaches to a drill to do the majority of the work. Other kits available, and internet do-it-yourself methods, use hand sanding with just your hand or supplied sponges. I was afraid that I'd get tired, quit early, and not do a good job with the purely manual sanding.

ANYWAY. I followed the process of 500 grit to 800 grit to some sort of wet buffing pad to rubbing compound and a foam pad. The results....

Crystal clear. After the initial sanding the lens had the look of frosted glass, nearly opaque. By the end it was crystal clear. Seeing those lenses before I would have thought that the yellowing went deep into the plastic, but obviously it did not. I never expected that a surface sanding would create such a clear surface in old oxidized plastic.

Twenty bucks well spent.

Jason Beam
10-20-2009, 5:39 PM
I've done the same to my Wife's '97 Cirrus - but instead of buying the kit, I went into my lathe stand and pulled out a worn-out stack of MicroMesh pads. Started with 600grit and went all the way up to 20,000 grit. Took all of 5 minutes per light by hand with a little water to keep it from loading up. That's what MicroMesh was originally invented for: polishing airplane windshields. :D

Dave Johnson29
10-20-2009, 9:02 PM
I have been buffing visors on motorcycle helmets for 30+ years using an open cotton buffing wheel and white buffing compound. I could have saved you money. :D:D

The buffing compounds are graded in cut by color. White is traditionally the finest grade. Two minutes on the wheel and they are like new, just don't get them too hot in one spot.

Lee Schierer
10-21-2009, 8:01 AM
But it did.

My son's `96 Dodge Neon had the common problem of frosted/dull/oxidized headlight lenses. I don't exactly know what causes it, but it is very common in `90s era Chrysler products, others too I assume. At any rate, the headlights were so dim as to be dangerous at night. Using the brights helped somewhat, but generally just irritated other drivers.

The discoloration is caused by UV light in sunlight and it is a common problem with polycarbonates, particularly the early versions.

Steve Clardy
10-21-2009, 2:58 PM
Got some compound for our 96 Crown Vic from O'Reilly's, along with a sheet of 2000 grit wet/dry paper.
Took me about ten minutes to make them like new again.

John Shuk
10-22-2009, 8:32 PM
The Micro Mesh that Woodcraft sells was originally used for polishing aircraft windows back to clarity.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2009, 8:40 PM
If you 'd like to see what buffing can do, go to this site http://www.yoyospin.com/video/ and select his video on turning a EPR bottle stopper. It's a 30 minute video but at the end the acrylic bottle stopper is as ugly as home made sin.....then after buffing it looks like glass. I have made several and it works as advertised. Beall buffing that is.