PDA

View Full Version : Dado for tenon cutting first, plywood second

Dan Karachio
10-20-2009, 5:10 PM
I realize there are many posts on dado blades, but I'm still torn between a Forrest Dado King and Freud Super Dado. Most posts I find talk about plywood and cabinet making and while I will be doing some of that, the main reason I want a nice new dado set is to cut tenons and rabbets in hardwood. So, any opinions. I guess the question is this - is the extra $100 for Forrest going to pay off?

glenn bradley
10-20-2009, 5:22 PM
They are both fine dado stacks. I don't know if this will help as I have not done a side by side comparison. In other words, take this for what it is worth. I do almost no sheet goods work and when I dado any, I generally use a handheld router to follow the inevitable variations in the material. I use an SD508 for solid wood work but do use a router there sometimes as well. The place the dado stack really excels for me is taking large or deep cuts in fewer passes than one might with a router bit. If I was going to spend the extra money and my arbor would support it, I would buy the SD608 for the adjustment feature.