PDA

View Full Version : bad spellers

James Jaragosky
10-20-2009, 3:53 PM
If you have difficulty spelling like I do, you may find some interest in reading the following web page. Some of the descriptions fit me dead on. some missed the mark completely. The list of other challenged spellers at the end was enlightening. http://www.dys-add.com/symptoms.html

Dennis McGarry
10-20-2009, 4:20 PM
If you have difficulty spelling like I do, you may find some interest in reading the following web page. Some of the descriptions fit me dead on. some missed the mark completely. The list of other challenged spellers at the end was enlightening.

What about poor posters? No link... :) :) :)

Dave Lehnert
10-20-2009, 5:16 PM
What about poor posters? No link... :) :) :)

Guess he can't spell "Link" :D

Rod Sheridan
10-20-2009, 8:58 PM
James, thanks for the link to the interesting articles regarding dyslexia.

In the other thread, you stated that people who judge others, based upon their spelling are prejudiced.

I agree in part, and I must be prejudiced because I do judge an unknown person, based upon their spelling skills. I also make first impression judgements based upon their manners, and verbal skills.

First impressions, for good or bad, are occasionally the only impressions we are able to make.

Now that I know you slightly better, I know that in your case it isn't a lack of education or lack of care and I know to ignore the occasional error and focus on the content.

Regards, Rod.

James Jaragosky
10-20-2009, 11:56 PM
James, thanks for the link to the interesting articles regarding dyslexia.

In the other thread, you stated that people who judge others, based upon their spelling are prejudiced.

I agree in part, and I must be prejudiced because I do judge an unknown person, based upon their spelling skills. I also make first impression judgements based upon their manners, and verbal skills.

First impressions, for good or bad, are occasionally the only impressions we are able to make.

Now that I know you slightly better, I know that in your case it isn't a lack of education or lack of care and I know to ignore the occasional error and focus on the content.

Regards, Rod.
Rod, we all have prejudices, it is in our nature. The trick is to use the good ones and recognize the bad ones, not to use our prejudices to pass judgment upon others, without using a little empathy to discern the other person’s position. Some people do not even see the arrogance that their prejudices are based in. You seem to be an emphatic soul thank you for trying to understand.
I am sure that many people do not post on forums due to the fear of being judged. What a loss for all of us. I am sure that there are a lot of fine Ideas and opinions that I have missed because of that reason.
Now that I have spell check I can at least communicate in an adequate manner. In the past, before spell check I was too embarrassed to write my opinion. I was afraid to write even a simple note in a birthday card. For me even a simple one syllable word like “does” is a daily challenge. The people that say try harder have no idea what it is like to sit in an doctors office trying to fill out the forms (no spell check there) so the doctor can see you or your kids. Or the feeling of dread that comes at a corporate meeting when the boss singles you out for having an outstanding idea, and then asks you to step up to the whiteboard and write a few notes and diagrams to explain your concept to the room. My whole life I have dealt with people that feel superior because that can spell, and I cannot. I am sorry that I hijacked that last thread. I quit posting there because I was losing prospective and letting my emotions get the better of me.
Thanks again for trying to understand.
Jim J.

James Jaragosky
10-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Dyslexics of the world.... Untie! Untie, I say. Untie!!

Mitchell I am sorry that I lost prospective in your thread please forgive me.
Your post here is offensive and in bad taste. However, maybe I deserve that.
It does say a lot about you and your frame of mind at the time you wrote it.
I cannot believe that you are that insensitive to a disability that affects so many people so profoundly.
I wish to apologize if I offended you in anyway.
I hope that we can have civil discourse on future topics.
Best Regards
James Jaragosky

Glenn Clabo
10-21-2009, 6:33 AM
You're a good man James. With all that goes on these days...it's nice to know there are still people like you.

Mitchell Andrus
10-21-2009, 8:43 AM
I cannot believe that you are that insensitive to a disability that affects so many people so profoundly.
Best Regards
James Jaragosky

Jim,

When I was in H.S. I was finally able to get help for my dyslexia. The rallying cry I posted was printed on our T shirts. We had a club. Jim, We didn't hide, we let it be known that there were plenty of us out here and we discussed it openly.

The post was deleted by Ken for being offensive. No such intent on my part. Sorry if I caused you any discomfort.

In my opinion, disabilities need to be seen, talked about, and yes... sometimes poked a bit of fun at. Ever see a one-legged skier fall? My cousin. No tears - usually a little self-deprecating humor to smooth the concerns of those nearby and to share a bit of the human experience with a smile rather than a grimace.

Smile rather than grimace. If you scowl as someone pokes you in the ribs, turn it around and swallow it whole. When I was no longer the victim, I became the victor.

I've never hidden my problem. If I can't discuss it with a wide range of people who are going to have an equally wide range of reactions and yes, prejudices, I'm hiding. As when I had testicular cancer 18 years ago, I didn't hide the fact - and I joined in on the 'gallows humor'. The jokes flew thick and heavy and it helped both me and those who felt a twinge of discomfort.

Is a purposeful misspelling in bad taste? Maybe. But I think shutting down a wider range of reaction is just as bad.

BTW, the joke in the offensive slogan that I posted is that 'dyslexics' is spelled correctly. There IS humor there if you stop for a second and look for it.

"Poor me, I've got a problem" has got to be followed with a way to defuse the thickness hanging in the air. A stupid slogan helps. Trust me, I've been there.

Dennis McGarry
10-21-2009, 9:00 AM
My whole life I have dealt with people that feel superior because that can spell, and I cannot.Jim J.

James,

There is only one way for another person to feel superior to another, You have to allow them the ability to do so. NEVER allow that to happen, No one has that ability on their own. This I realize is a large task to undertake for anyone that has suffered years of ridicule and persecution in any regard but it is such a rewarding experience when you finally are at that point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Andrus http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1240664#post1240664)
Dyslexics of the world.... Untie! Untie, I say. Untie!!

Best Regards
James Jaragosky

James,

I can completely understand your point on this one, but at the same time, I ask you to lighten up, see post above it applies again. When someone is born with a disability that they can not change nor help there will always be obstacles to their personal development. The biggest being overly sensitive to the world. Sometimes you have to be able to laugh at yourself.

Understand its you and thats how you are and move on. I personally found it a little funny, and before anyone says how insensitive I am there, I have a 12 year old daughter with a mentality of a 6 year old. She has epilepsy and mild dyslexia. We teach her to ignore other peoples rude comments and be happy with who she is. Now I am not saying that works all the time, there can be really insensitive and that can not be helped.

Its is better to show them how strong you are by looking past it and living like it doesn't bother them then to let it hinder your own growth..

Once again, just my thoughts, and James, i have never seen a bad post from you, but then again, Internet and Grammar, are two words I consider an oxymoron anyway, never expect it... :) :)

Bill Arnold
10-21-2009, 9:11 AM
That made for interesting reading, James.

Looking back several decades, I wish teachers and parents had been more aware of learning difficulties, dyslexia and ADD. I excelled in math courses but struggled with classes that required a lot of reading. In many cases, I'd read something, think it didn't make sense then re-read it and realize I had not read one or more words correctly. Curiously, I had no issue with spelling possibly because I was concentrating on the word at the time.

These days, I catch myself (rather, spell-check catches me) making an occasional typing error. Invariably, I'll strike a letter key with a finger on one hand when it should have been the same finger on the other hand. This especially bad when both letters are in a given word such as "s" and "l"; i.e., typing "lsick" rather than "slick".

Fortunately, when my kids were starting school their teachers were more aware of learning difficulties and how to recognize them. My middle daughter's first grade teacher brought up a few things in a conference and we were able to help our daughter with her concentration and focus.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-21-2009, 9:23 AM
To everyone in general and nobody in particular....

Please be aware that this site and these threads are open for the entire world population to read. You might be thickskinned enough to use an in-your-face attitude towards such disabilities as dyslexia but not everyone is that way. What you consider a joke or a jab at a disibility might be tremendously offensive to someone else with that disability or with a family member with that disability.

I am extemely lucky as I haven't had to deal with these types of disabilities in my own family. My wife, however, has had to deal with these types of learning disablities and worse for over 25 years at the elementary school level. Though I'm a foot taller and 100 lbs. heavier than the LOML, she's stronger in some ways. I couldn't deal with the daily emotional aspects of her job. Some of her students she has to feed with a stomach tube and they don't live to be adults. The LOML is stronger than I in some ways.

Mitchell Andrus
10-21-2009, 9:44 AM
This especially bad when both letters are in a given word such as "s" and "l"; i.e., typing "lsick" rather than "slick".

Me too, same thing. I've also got the 'left/right' problem... b/d but only when writing with a pencil and paper. I know a fellow with up/down... M/W.

It took a lot of work but I've gotten to the point that I can read upside down and backwards in a mirror. Training to do this (in my case) has made reading normally a breeze. I broke a sweat often.

However, I can still look at a 4 or 5 digit number and not 'get it'. I have to transfer ie: phone numbers two or 3 digits at a time. Funny how the mind works.

Funny as in odd, not Ha Ha funny. OK?

Alan Trout
10-21-2009, 10:06 AM
James,

Thanks for your link to the site. I to suffer from dyslexia which I have struggled my entire life with. I still remember in 4th grade I had a teacher that decided to punish me for my poor spelling. I had a word that I chronically misspelled on spelling test. She made me write the word 10,000 times. What is funny I don't remember what the word was and probably could not spell it correctly anyway. I always new something was not correct with my spelling skills but never figured it out until I was a freshman in college. I took an advanced college reading course (Speed Reading) because while I had good comprehension my reading speed was extremely slow. The instructor helped me discover what was really going on. That course significantly improved my study skills and probably made sure I did not flunk out.

I to have been criticized for spelling and punctuation errors in post that I have made in the past. I tend to be pretty sensitive about this. What people that don't suffer from this don't realize is the amount of time I and others spend trying to correct our own work. What takes the average person a couple of minutes to write takes me 15 or so minutes because I am continually trying to check my work.

Whats is ironic for me is in my daily job I write narrative inspection reports. I have forced myself to write in concise, descriptive, sentences. For me the computer has been a godsend. I could not do my job if it was not for spell check. It gets so bad there are many times that spell check does not ever recognize what I am trying to spell. However my spelling has gotten better over time. I have always informed my clients of my spelling and grammatical shortcomings and thankfully they have understood and have helped me build a successful business.

Alan

Roger Bell
10-21-2009, 10:24 PM
Thanks for the insight, Jim. Appreciate it. Really.