PDA

View Full Version : Electric Chainsaw

Rick Hutcheson
10-20-2009, 1:59 PM
I was wondering how many use an electric saw for use inside the shop. I use this one at the wood pile too, just because it is easy to start and does one heck of a job of cutting.
After burning up 2 smaller electric chain saw I finally bought the big one. My first electric saw was a Poulan Pro 18" model, it lasted about 3 months. Then I bought the more powerfull McCulloch 16" electric and it lasted about 82 days. So I now have the Stihl 220 with a 20" bar. Here is a crotch I just cut with it today. Seemed to have power left even with the bar fully buried while ripping this crotch. Next to see how long it can take this type of use.
http://www.scrollsaws.com/images/Lathe/ElecSaw.JPG
http://www.scrollsaws.com/images/Lathe/CrotchHalf2.JPG

David Walser
10-20-2009, 2:07 PM
Rick,

Like you, I like to use an electric saw around home. Much fewer worries about bothering the neighbors if I'm sawing late at night! However, my 18" Poulan Pro just bit the dust after ripping through a grand total of, what was it, five logs? So, if your Stihl's up to the task, be sure to let us know! (Let us know if it's not, too.)

Alan Trout
10-20-2009, 2:16 PM
I have the same Stihl saw. It is a great saw and should last many many years. However they are pretty pricey. I bought mine used and still paid a little over $200. But I love it. To me it has about the same power as a 50CC saw.

Good Luck

Alan

Bill Bulloch
10-20-2009, 2:30 PM
I, too use an Electric Chainsaw around the house. I had a WIN 16" that lasted 16 years. Now I have the Poulan 18". I believe the trick to making an Electric Chainsaw last is not to rush it, let the saw do the work. A good sharp chain will cut through most wood without a lot of pressure.

I like that Stihl and wish I had bought one of those when I got this Poulan, although so far I am happy with the Poulan.

Paul Engle
10-20-2009, 2:37 PM
I have an older McCullough (?) electric i bought in '84 and it is really handy in the shop and out doors ( i have a generator to chase it with out in the yard if i get too far from the house ) . paid 69$ new in
Boise ID at a big box something or other...

Charles Henderson
10-20-2009, 3:11 PM
I bought an 18" Craftsman electric chain saw about three years ago. I abused it to no end when my gas saw was a Poulan, but use it much less since I bought my BFF Stihl MS290.

I can't quite remember what I paid for it, but I think it was around $150 with an extended service agreement. I only had to replace it once in the two years under that agreement, and as I said I did abuse it.

It does not cut like a 50cc saw like that Stihl, though. It does the job with a sharp chain, but it's no powerhouse. Still, I don't regret the purchase at all, and the one I have now is still holding up okay.

Mark Burge
10-20-2009, 3:31 PM
I have been thinking about an electric chain saw. Do y'all use it in the shop, or is it too loud?

Rick Hutcheson
10-20-2009, 3:50 PM
I would say it is a lot quieter than a skill saw. Yes I do use it in the shop too, sure not the noise and smoke of the gas model.

Scott Lux
10-20-2009, 4:12 PM
I am so glad to see this topic now. I borrowed a neighbor's electric chain saw. It's great, although small. It's designed for use on a pole.

So now I have an idea what to look for when I go to get my own.

Thanks!

Bernie Weishapl
10-20-2009, 5:21 PM
I bought a Poulan and it died 3 weeks after I got it and cut the second log with it. Took it back and they gave me another one. It last 81 days to be exact and neither was abused. So got my money back and waiting on a stihl.

alex carey
10-20-2009, 5:38 PM
I use my electric more than my gas, I have 2 electrics, a 14" and a 16". The 16" is a homelite which has served me really well and the 14" was recently given to me, its about 15 years old and cuts even better than the 16".

Ted Calver
10-20-2009, 7:43 PM
Stihl MSE220 here..20" bar. No regrets.

alex carey
10-20-2009, 8:11 PM
Both my electric chainsaws are not loud at all, if I was in my garage at 2:00 in the morning I would have no reservation about using it, not a single neighbor would hear.

Jon Lanier
10-20-2009, 8:49 PM
Beautiful wood. Don't know nuttin about electric chain saws... just the gas ones.

Mark Levitski
10-20-2009, 9:37 PM
Don't forget the Husky. Have had their electric for a couple years, use it a lot in the shop for turning blanks and misc. stuff. Great saw. Also have a Husky 372 and a Stihl 026.

Reed Gray
10-21-2009, 1:08 AM
I went with a Husky several years ago. I went to the dealer, not the big box store, and asked for an industrial grade one. Burned the first one up pretty quick. Burned up the next one pretty quick also. They changed the saw a bit with some sort of kill switch which I have never triggered. I did learn that you have to let the saw cut at its own pace, you can't push/load it or you will burn it up. Don't use it much in the shop any more, got a Laguna 16HD bandsaw. Much better, but too heavy to carry out into the yard for logs.

robo hippy

Richard Bell CA
10-21-2009, 10:24 AM
A good comparison article on electric chainsaws -

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/industry-news.asp?sectionID=1492&articleID=494387&artnum=1

Richard Madison
10-21-2009, 10:35 AM
Had a super cheap Remington electric (mostly plastic) some years ago and was amazed at how long it lasted. The flexible cap manual oil pump system was about worthless, and I used a pressurized oil can to frequently squirt the chain with used motor oil. Used it for several years, made the mistake of loaning it out and it came back in a basket.