PDA

View Full Version : what not to do in the shop... (long & rambling)

Ned Bulken
09-24-2004, 2:07 AM
No Injuries, but Man today was just NOT my day when it came to the shop. After putting on a second coat of Maloof mixture on the Mahogany and Quartersawn Maple jewelry box I'm working on, I decided to try my hand working up a template for some routered boxes, using a bushing and straight bit with a template to hog out the insides. I was doing 'ok' I made a template out of 1/2" mdf, clampted it down, put a test board under it and routed out the cavity. Then I decided to take another pass and make it a bit deeper. Well, measured using the mod 1 mach 0 eyeball system. Proceeded to make the test board see-through in several large spots thanks to some hefty Tear-out and about 1/16" left at the bottom of the board. OK, chalk it up to experience. Moving on, I am just about to route out another test board and I'm not sure exactly how I managed, but somehow I proceeded to drop the ROUTER, yes you guessed it, while it was ON. I have the presence of mind to keep hold of the motor, and get it shut off, not until it put a nice character gouge in the assembly table, break the router bit and a plastic cased utility knife. I thought I had tightened the motor in the plunge base, but evidently I hadn't. OK... after the nerves calm down, I get the D-handle router, cinch a different straight bit in it, with the Bushing, and finish the test cut. Still not what I'm looking to accomplish, so back to the drawing board.
I take another piece of MDF, and using the scrollsaw I cut a new template, get that screwed onto a jig, clamp it down and cut a hole in another piece of pine. Ok, it finally works, a little ragged around one edge, so... we try again. This time the Bushing comes loose. When it finally was cool enough to touch, there is Another broken bit, and a chunk taken out of the bushing! AAAARGH. Put routers away, vacuum up the shavings, metal pieces etc...
I then take a good look around the shop for something I can accomplish instead. I realize I have a honeydo project in the van; the LOML's cutting board which is in pieces. Take the ROS and clean up the ends, which are a bit ugly from living under the sink. (note to self make rack to hold board so it doesn't get damp).After sanding it down, take a good look at one end, realize that some judicial trimming is required. Get out panel jig and new CMT cabinetshop blade. and make cuts. Blade scoffs at the 1" Rock Maple, what a nice feeling that is. Joint the edges to glue up the two halves into one board again. Pretty nice maple, but the surface needs help. Ok... Couple of passes through the planer and we have nice maple cutting board halves again. A little water, some gorilla glue and three pipe clamps to set up overnight. Tomorrow I'll round over the freshly cut ends and bring it home.

After getting that accomplished I decided to scrollsaw some bowls. John and I put on the resaw blade for the bandsaw and I cut off some sections of an apple log I have in the loft. put a pattern (from scrollsaw workshop mag) on it and cut out a basket. Then I say, hmmmm, There is that white Birch log up in the loft too... test measurement and it will fit through the throat of the bandsaw. I manage to get a couple of slabs cut off, and set aside to dry out a bit more. Third cut, however the blade gets trapped in the log and I bend the blade. *sigh* just one of those days. Dissasemble saw, remove blade, and put it in pizza box for disposal. John quips, this just hasn't been your day.

I put on a wry grin, and wave all 8 fingers and both thumbs at him. I reply:

"I've still got all these, no injuries!"

so, Scorecard reads, two partially complete projects, two busted router bits, one bushing shot and one bandsaw blade to replace. I had one heckuva climb up that nasty old learning curve today, but I got out with no damage other than my pride and a few replaceable parts on tools.

For all of that chaos by the way, my 'little voice' was keeping me in check. I had my safety gearon: goggles, earmuffs etc... John even reminded me to use my panel jig. (who says the 'little voice' has to be internal?) Could have been much worse, come to think of it. Thank goodness it wasn't.

Mike Cutler
09-24-2004, 4:48 AM
Some days just go that way. I have the "Three Strikes Rule". After my third mistake I shut it all down. It doesn't matter if it's a mistake with measuring, setup, or messing up a cut, once you're on a roll, you're on a roll. Great to here no serious mishaps ocurred.

Frank Pellow
09-24-2004, 6:13 AM
Look on the bright side. You did accomplish something and you were not injured.

Thanks for providing me with a good early morning read before I start my day (in the workshop). I trust that my day today will be better than tour was yesterday (but somedays it is not).

Ned Bulken
09-24-2004, 7:26 AM
Thanks guys,
It was 'just one of those days'. The scariest time was the full tilt router without a firm grip on it. :eek: I think back to that and shudder in retrospect. It happened so fast that it took a few minutes to reconstruct what really occured. I thought I would share with my friends here, so that perhaps someone else could learn from my mistakes too. Other than the gouge in the plywood top to the assembly table, it was a relatively low impact day all in all.

The coolest thing was the way the grains of the two kinds of wood in the jewelry box POPPED when I put the 2nd coat of Sam Maloof's oil/poly blend on it. That and how good the old scuffed up cutting board came back to life.

John Miliunas
09-24-2004, 7:54 AM
Thanks guys,
It was 'just one of those days'. The scariest time was the full tilt router without a firm grip on it. :eek: I think back to that and shudder in retrospect. It happened so fast that it took a few minutes to reconstruct what really occured. I thought I would share with my friends here, so that perhaps someone else could learn from my mistakes too. Other than the gouge in the plywood top to the assembly table, it was a relatively low impact day all in all.

The coolest thing was the way the grains of the two kinds of wood in the jewelry box POPPED when I put the 2nd coat of Sam Maloof's oil/poly blend on it. That and how good the old scuffed up cutting board came back to life.

Ned...Many, MANY thanks for brightening my day! :D Oh no, I don't mean that to sound like I'm glad YOU had a bad day! It's just that for the last almost 50 years, I thought *I* was the ONLY one with luck like that! :eek: Glad you came out with all ten digits, no bandaids, stitches or otherwise! BUT, don't forget to post pics of the successful projects! :) :cool:

Dan Gill
09-24-2004, 8:48 AM
Wow, Ned. That beats my "stupid biscuit joiner trick" hands down! Some days you get the bear . . .

Ken Fitzgerald
09-24-2004, 10:10 AM
Ned.....it's nice to know I'm not the only one who has those days. Sometimes....I don't care how well you prepare and plan "stuff happens"! I am just glad it doesn't happen at work too ften! I've had a couple of incidents where my "days" were nothing compared to others. Tools can be replaced...fingers...toes...thumbs...eyes....heari ng...can't be! It was a good day! :D

Byron Trantham
09-24-2004, 10:27 AM
Ned, I would have shut down after the first broken bit! :eek: I don't think my nerves would have anything else. :rolleyes:

Glad it was a lesson and not an incident!

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the words and reminders, Ned. I now have my little 2 1/2 year old daughter alwasy following me around in the shop so I'm extry, extry careful now! Man, she loves to push buttons!

Scott Parks
09-24-2004, 3:00 PM
This reminds me of my worst day in the shop....

Shop safety lesson. Note: DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS! IT IS UNSAFE! (I know from experience)

My stupid lathe trick...... A couple years ago I was building an oak pedestal dining table. I glued up the octagonal pedestal out of 6/4 oak, and carefully made it as big as I could to fit the diameter of my Grandfather's antique "hand-me-down" lathe, so I could turn the bead details. Anyway, when I went to put the glue-up in the lathe, my measurements were off, and the diameter was 1/4" too big! No problem, being a McGyver, my solution was to screw the bowl mount to one end, and turn the lathe around so the bowl mount was bolted to the left side of the headstock spindle. Next, I took off the tail stock and bolted it to an old workbench. By turning the motor around, It spun the right direction. So now I had this contraption all bolted to the workbench!

So here's the tricky part. I mounted it all up and it was not quite centered. So, I loosened the screws on the bowl mount and eye-balled it to center. Next, I decided to flip the switch and see if it indeed was spinning on center. What happened next.... was nothing less than a miracle. As the poor little 1/4HP motor tried to spin up to speed (btw, too fast RPM for such a big thing, lesson #1), the belt was badly slipping, so the 25 lb. glue up wouldn't spin. I pushed down on the motor to add belt tension and instantly the thing spun up to a million RPM. Oh yeah, remember when I loosened the screws to center it? I forgot to tighten them down!!! I now had a 25 lb. cannonball spinning at 2000 rpm accross my garage!!! Instinctly I hit the ground as it flew over my head. The damage was incredible! When my wife heard the crash from in the house, she came running into the garage expecting to find me dead!

Luckily, I came out without a scratch! As I stood up in awe, the tail stock ripped right out of the becnhtop (3/4 Particle board and laminate). The lathe also came off the workbench. The oak blank hit my tablesaw extension table and put a 3" hole right throught the laminate covered 3/4 particle board, and pulled the rip fence off and on to the floor. It then spun accross my 24foot garage and 8 feet up the opposite wall, then bounced off the wall and put a 4" dent in my garage door before coming to a rest!

Amazingly the oak blank held together! It had a lot of scratches and dents so I just veneered over it. I learned a big lesson here! The way I finally turned this peice was to mount it up like before. Lesson #2, check all screws and bolts were tight at least 5 times. Lesson #3, spin it by hand until I knew it was on center. Lesson #4, I changed the pulleys so that it was barely spinning at about 200 rpm.

Anyway, the table turned out awesome. Even with that major set-back, the last coat of finish was barely dry for Thanksgiving turkey feast.

Wade Samuelson
09-24-2004, 4:06 PM
I'm still so brand new to all of this that I move around the shop in absolute fear of getting hurt. That makes me very careful. When I get comfortable with the tools and "know everything," that's when I'll end up typing "My Worst Day" and posting it here.

I now have my little 2 1/2 year old daughter alwasy following me around in the shop so I'm extry, extry careful now! Man, she loves to push buttons!
I have a 5 year old who is in the shop with me every minute that she can manage. To be safe, I unplug everything when I am not using it.

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 4:13 PM
My daughter turned on my table saw once...so much for that underwear! Thank GOD as a safety habit, I always lower the saw blade all the way down when I'm done.

Come to think of it, I think I had to change her diaper, too! :o

Dennis Peacock
09-24-2004, 4:24 PM
My daughter turned on my table saw once...so much for that underwear! Thank GOD as a safety habit, I always lower the saw blade all the way down when I'm done.

Come to think of it, I think I had to change her diaper, too! :o

LOL!!!!! Chris....that's exactly why I always lower my TS blade as low as it will go when I'm done using it. Kids will try anything without even knowing the end result. :eek: :D

Dan Gill
09-24-2004, 4:29 PM
This reminds me of my worst day in the shop....

Shop safety lesson. Note: DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS! IT IS UNSAFE! (I know from experience)

My stupid lathe trick......

Man, oh man, I wish I had seen that . . . from a safe distance.

"I soiled me armor, I was so scared."

Gredo Goldenstein
09-24-2004, 4:30 PM
I felt stupid in the shop a couple of days ago. I was holding a piece of 1x3 upright as I was predrilling a screw hole in the end of it. Wouldn't you know that the drill bit went right thru the 1x3 and into my finger behind it? Not smart. Ahh well lesson learned.

Keith Christopher
09-24-2004, 5:01 PM
Well I today totally trashed a piece of 8/4 maple. I was moving right along on this headboard I'm making for a client and I glance at my plan and I see 32" over length. So I measure up, square up and saw. (I actually measured twice LOL) and when I cut it I get the nagging feeling that something is wrong. so I hold the piece up and well it becomes apparent. I cut the length for a third footboard leg. *sigh* and as luck would have it- I have no more 8/4 maple. off to my lumber guy. Not as bad as yours but it's going around :)