PDA

View Full Version : How do I repair my saw handle?

Adam Woznicki
10-20-2009, 10:25 AM
I finely found my first hand saw that was in good enought shape to be worth restoring. Most I see have heavy rust, this one only had a little and its getting electrolysis as I speak.

Its a Disston 24" crosscut. The medallion dates it from 1896-1917 but the etching is gone and the handle doesn't match any on the disstonian institute site.

Anyhow when I was removing the bolts I had some tear-out around 2 of the bolt holes. I know it only cost me $2, but damaging my first 100 year old saw really sucks:(.

Should I just use yellow glue, or 2 part epoxy to fix these chips? (these are the only glues I have on hand.)

Also it has a very thin crack on the right side from the front and joining the two lower bolt holes, about as wide as 2 sheets of paper at the mouth of the crack.

How do I handle this? just leave it alone? I don't know how I would get and glue in there without messing up the finish.

Michael Faurot
10-20-2009, 10:47 AM
Use the original handle as a template and then make a new one out your favorite hardwood.

Richard Kee
10-20-2009, 1:45 PM
Tutorial for making a saw handle:

http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58&Itemid=102

Richard

Adam Woznicki
10-26-2009, 2:11 PM
Thanks, but I don't want to replace the handle. I just want to fix the chips that came off around the screws.

Rob Paul
10-26-2009, 2:50 PM
For repair, I have successfully glued things together with a litttle 5 minute epoxy and then sanded down the excess, (and you can easily slice off some of the excess glue after the initial set, but before 24hr hard, to minimize filing/sanding).
You might also want to add sawdust to the glue to match the existing handle color.
I don't see why yellow glue wouldn't work too if that's your preferred glue.

Since you're concerned about buggering up your old handle, I'd suggest you do a practice run on a scrap piece of wood (peferably one with an existing finish, so you can test your repair/sanding effects on that)

See also www.norsewoodsmith.com/content/restoring-old-handsaw (http://www.norsewoodsmith.com/content/restoring-old-handsaw)

Good luck,
Rob