PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a table saw purchase

Lee Bidwell
10-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Can anyone give me any info on this saw?

Owner says it's a 1998 model with a 3 hp single phase motor, but knows nothing else about it. Clearly it's a Jet, and the fence is there. I'm not sure how long the rails are. Assuming it runs well and all the usual suspects check out (arbor runout, table flatness, etc), it seems like a good buy at $550. Anyone see any red flags?

thanks for your help

Lee

Rod Sheridan
10-20-2009, 11:40 AM
No red flags aside from no guard/splitter however you may have one that fits so I'd buy it if it checks out.

If it doesn't have a guard or splitter it's an ideal time to purchase an Excalibur overarm guard and splitter......Regards, Rod.

Lee Bidwell
10-20-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks Rod. I was definitely considering an overarm guard. This guy also has an 8" jointer, so there could be a major gloat in my future. Only problem is it's 3 hours away, so I won't be able to check them out until the weekend.

Lee

Heath Markovetz
10-20-2009, 12:11 PM
Maybe I'm blind, but a red flag to me would be that I don't see a front rail.

It looks to me like it's sitting right up against something but maybe the front rail is covered by something?

I wouldn't drive 3 hours unless I saw some pictures of the front of the saw.

Lee Bidwell
10-20-2009, 12:17 PM
Good point Heath. I'll email the guy and check that out.

Lee

scott spencer
10-20-2009, 2:21 PM
A friend of mine has had one like it for several years and has been very happy with it. I've used it on occasion and think it's a nice saw. Hopefully the front rail tube is included.

Lee Bidwell
10-20-2009, 2:59 PM
Just got an update from the seller. The front rail and all parts of the xacta fence are included, and the rails are 6' long. I think a trip to the crescent city may be in my near future. I think I'll open with "Hey, honey. How about a weekend in New Orleans.":)

Neal Clayton
10-21-2009, 11:34 AM
if the saw turns out to be a bust, at least you'll eat good ;).