PDA

View Full Version : color fill walnut plaques

George McGinnis
10-19-2009, 8:46 PM
Can someone tell me the easiest way to color fill on a walnut plaque. The laser engraving did not come out dark enough to stand out, so I would like to color fill it in white. If this is possible without ruining the plaque.
Thanks for the help.
George

Randy Walker
10-19-2009, 11:29 PM
Thats a tough one George
If you think that you can put the plaque back in exactly the same place... you could mask and re-burn it, then color fill it.

Good luck

Randy Walker

John Noell
10-20-2009, 1:19 AM
If you cannot re-burn it, be sure to apply a clear sealant (shellac?) before color-filling to avoid paint wicking into the grain.

Tim Bateson
10-20-2009, 7:36 AM
HF powder paint is only $3.99-$4.99 a quart. You'll only need a dusting. Since you already have it out of the laser, try letting it sit for a day or so - letting the natural oils absorb the powder paint. Then try very lightly applying several coats of top sealer.
I usually hit it with a low power pass of the laser first, but in your case, I wouldn't advise that.

Mike Null
10-20-2009, 8:51 AM
I would coat the area with a liquid floor wax (acts as a sealer) then use acrylic paint or black shoe polish.

This is also known as the "Laird method" for Nancy Laird. It works.

George M. Perzel
10-20-2009, 9:01 AM
Hi George;
Assuming the engraving is deep enough to take a colorfill I suggest using Elmer's Wood Filler (comes in white and a couple of other colors). Put some on your finger and rub it into the letters-let dry about 30 seconds and then card it off with apiece od cardboard or plastic and then polish any residue off with a clean cloth. This works best on a finished plaque but will also work on an unfinished one-not great on an open grain wood such as oak).
Good luck
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Bruce Volden
10-20-2009, 9:08 AM
Nobody mentioned TurtleWax color cure car wax in white??? This stuff comes in a variety of colors and is cheap (goes a long ways). It can be found just about anyplace that sells auto "stuff". ALWAYS shake it thouroughly.

Bruce

Bill Cunningham
10-20-2009, 8:23 PM
Nobody mentioned TurtleWax color cure car wax in white??? This stuff comes in a variety of colors and is cheap (goes a long ways). It can be found just about anyplace that sells auto "stuff". ALWAYS shake it thouroughly.

Bruce

Yup! I use the black all the time.. You can also mix it 50/50 with water, and brush it onto mask/transfer tape, wipe it off with a paper towel, then laser full speed low power to test your engraving position. Then either engrave through it, or peel it off and burn.. I have a bottle of white, but I've never needed a white wood fill.. Too bad they don't make the stuff in Gold..

James Stokes
10-20-2009, 10:58 PM
On any wood that I engrave I cover it with transfer tape, engrave, Then spray a clear finish on it and let dry for about 15 minutes. I then spray any color fill that I need. Never have any problems doing it that way.

George McGinnis
10-21-2009, 7:53 PM
I tried the shoe polish wax with a tooth brush and it worked GREAT. Customer loved it.
THANKS TO ALL
George