PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmower recommendation

Tom Godley
10-19-2009, 7:32 PM
Less than three years ago I needed to purchase two lawn mowers - I bought a Honda HHR ($500 + from HD) for my larger lawn and a Troybilt 834 ($350 from Lowes) for a smaller one. The estimate to fix the self propel transmission in the Troybilt that was already fixed once under warranty is $225 and I just took the Honda in today and was told that it sounded like a bearing in the motor is going - If so not worth fixing.

The Troybilt I believe is an MTD unit - at least all of the plastic transmission and adjustment parts that have now broken twice are. The Honda had two recalls, one to fix the drive unit and another for the blade stop - both properly fixed. I never really liked the design of the bag -- unbelievably bad. The good news is that I bought them both with Visa and they look to be both covered. Already sending me the $225.00

I may be able to move the Honda engine from the Troybilt and save the Honda mower as they both use what looks to be the same engine -- but I still need to get at least one new mower.

Can anyone recommend a good self-propelled mower?? My previous Honda lasted more than twenty years -- so its not me. I also owned a Lawn-boy but the new ones look like junk!

Todd Willhoit
10-19-2009, 8:05 PM
Stay away from the Borgs. Most of the mowers sold there have plastic transmissions and cheap wheels.

I owned a push-type 21" Toro for seven years. It was at least five years old when it was given to me. Never a hiccup, even when mowing a 1/3 acre lot. I recently bought a Toro model 20092 from a Toro dealer. Always starts on one pull, and the Personal Pace system works well for a fast walker like me. The Personal Pace system on this model has metal gears. The ones on the mowers at the Borgs have plastic gears, or so I am told.

Todd

David Christopher
10-19-2009, 8:47 PM
exmark

http://www.exmark.com/walk.htm

Keith Outten
10-19-2009, 8:55 PM
My opinion on mowers:

Buy either the cheapest mower and plan to replace it frequently or buy the very best and keep it for a lifetime. The best machines are the least expensive in the long run and you can only buy them from a Commericial Dealer...shop where the lawn pros shop.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-19-2009, 8:57 PM
are you mowing a postage stamp front and back or are you mowing acreage?

Makes a big difference.

Joe Mioux
10-19-2009, 9:09 PM
I didn't know exmark made little walk behind mowers. Exmark makes really nice pro type mowers.

I have a scag ztr and a Honda walk behind. If the Honda dies I will go with an exmark walk behind, but there "ain't" no way I would trade my scag. ;)

joe

Larry Frank
10-19-2009, 9:13 PM
I agree about not buying at the big box stores. Go to a place that sells them and stands behind them. Yes, you will pay a little more but it will last longer. I also think they are really different models. I have a Lawnboy that I am very happy with and use for all of the trimming on a large yard. It takes a lot of start and stop and abuse doing the trimming but still has been good. I am religious about chaning oil, plugs and cleaning air filters and such. It makes a difference if you are going to keep them for years.

Von Bickley
10-19-2009, 9:27 PM
I like "Snapper"......... :)

Scott T Smith
10-19-2009, 9:29 PM
My opinion on mowers:

Buy either the cheapest mower and plan to replace it frequently or buy the very best and keep it for a lifetime. The best machines are the least expensive in the long run and you can only buy them from a Commericial Dealer...shop where the lawn pros shop.

+1. When we moved to the farm, I bought a Scag Turf Tiger. Cut my mowing time down by 75% and it should last me for the rest of my life.

Tom Godley
10-19-2009, 10:31 PM
Both of the lawns take me less than an hour to cut -- and that is taking my time. When I first moved in I used to do the one with a tractor but now with all the plantings the lawn has been reduced to a point that a tractor will not even fit.

Both of the properties have little hills - the self propelle makes a difference on a hot day with a now fifty year old operator. I would have put a new commercial motor on my old Honda if self propelled was not so desirable :)

I have a old Snapper from the 70's that I gave to a friend -- great mower but even with the magnesium deck its too heavy.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-20-2009, 1:42 AM
I have a Walker that I love, but it would be serious overkill on what you described. I saw a Hustler self propelled that looked good a while back. They make zero turns mostly, and you'll have to buy from a dealer, but the guys that I know that have their bigger machines really like them. Might be worth a look.

Jeff Sudmeier
10-20-2009, 6:43 AM
I would never buy anything but the toro personal pace again. You can adjust the sensitivity with it. If mine died today I would get a new one of the exact same thing today.

I LOVE it :) Does a great job cutting and when I let the grass get long it does a good job bagging.

Derek Gilmer
10-20-2009, 7:15 AM
I would never buy anything but the toro personal pace again. You can adjust the sensitivity with it. If mine died today I would get a new one of the exact same thing today.

I LOVE it :) Does a great job cutting and when I let the grass get long it does a good job bagging.

Exactly, I've got a toro personal pace from HD and have been nothing but happy. I starts on the first pull every time and does a great job matching your walking speed.

Perry Holbrook
10-20-2009, 7:36 AM
If you are in the market for a mower and near Louisville, KY, be sure to attend the Green Industries Expo at the Ky Expo Center late next week. Under one roof will be every brand you have ever heard of, with factory reps to answer all your questions. On Thursday and Friday you can even go outside and give them a test drive.

Of course, anything else that relates to lawn maintenance/landscaping can be seen there as well.

I'll be in the Volvo Construction Equipment booths with mini excavators, skid steers, loaders, etc.

Perry

dennis thompson
10-20-2009, 7:43 AM
I have had two self propelled Craftsman, they were reasonably priced & have provided excellent service
Dennis

Tom Godley
10-20-2009, 8:12 AM
I see that Toro owns Exmark -- Is the Toro professional line and the Exmark one in the same?? Did not see any prices -- but there is a dealer listed that is not far from me.

The original Honda mower became the professional line - They still make a version of it for around $1100.00. I see that lawnmowers are like washers/dryers -- you need to know who actually makes them.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Honda, Snapper any of the brands with a rep should do you fine for the next 10 or 15 years.

Dave Lehnert
10-20-2009, 5:29 PM
Yes Toro now owns Exmark. When I was looking for a Zero turn you could by a Toro with better spcs. for less money than the Exmark. So be sure to price around.

Be careful buying a Toro from Home Depot. I know a Toro rider was not a Toro at all. Just an MTD, American Yard Products or the like with a Toro name. Not sure about the Toro Push mowers.

I started to price dealers when shopping for equipment (always just shopped big box) I have been surprised to find their prices have been the same or better (in price or quality)

If you don't like plastic be sure to never open up an engine. You will find the gears inside made of plastic in some.

By the way- Don't be afraid to tackle an engine repair yourself. You will find the fix is often easy and the parts cheap. I bet the bearing problem you speak of is less than a $20 repair yourself.

Brian Elfert
10-29-2009, 12:47 PM
I have a Honda HRB216HXA mower I bought in 2001. Still works like new. I use non-oxygenated fuel and put Stabil in the fuel when I buy it.

Now, it did fail to start earlier this week. The carb was completely filthy on the outside. I removed the carb, sprayed it inside and outside with carb cleaner, and put it back together. It started on the first pull after that.

This week was the first time it ever failed to start. I did have to replace the clutch cable earlier this year. Repairs have cost about $30 total.

John Loftis
10-29-2009, 1:04 PM
+1 on the Toro personal pace. I got it six months ago and actually enjoy cutting the grass now. The dealer tried talking me into a Honda, but it was out of my price point and the Toro got great reviews on consumer reports.

FWIW, Consumer Reports gave the following mowers top marks listed in order:

Honda HRX2172HXA (score 85, price $800)
Toro 20333 (score 82, price $420)
Honda HRX2172VKA (score 81, price $700)
Honda HRR216K3VXA (score 80, price $580)
Toro 20332 (score 79, price $390)

Of course, there are lots of brands that CR didn't review. I think they mostly cover the best-selling brands.

Patrick Doody
10-29-2009, 1:22 PM
I may be in the minority, but the new breed of reel mowers work really well and are a fraction of the weight of the old ones. I really enjoy using mine, I do keep an old LawnBoy around, but I'll probably sell that lawnboy next spring time and reclaim some garage space, it only got used once this year and that's only because I loaned it out to a friend.

Thomas Canfield
10-29-2009, 9:00 PM
I recommend the Cub Cadet with swivel front wheels sold at Tractor Supply for about $400. It has a Honda engine, mulching, bagger, or side discharge. It is extremely easy steer with the swivel front wheels and does not require raising mower to make turns. The Honda engine is really reliable and easy start. In 3 years use, I don't think that I have had to pull the rope more than once more than 4 or 5 times.

Kevin Groenke
10-29-2009, 9:33 PM
I've got an old Lawn Boy that was ~10yrs old when I paid $20 for it. It's always started right up and I haven't done diddly to it in 12 years. If it ever quits I'm gonna get me one of these: Buy Toro, they're just down the street from me!

http://cdn.wn.com/ph//2009/05/06/10b364332cdeef1ff97e8e53dfdd6551-grande.jpg

Josiah Bartlett
11-02-2009, 6:35 PM
The Lawn Boy Platinum Insight series has the same drive system as the Toro Personal Pace but has a 5 year warranty and a Honda engine. I've had mine for 3 years and it works great- starts every time (I didn't bother with the electric start model), cuts well, the drive system works, and it never clogs up. I hate Tecumseh engines- the carburetors always seem to die on them if you don't use them every week. The Toro comes with a Tecumseh.

Mine has a gasoline shut off valve and a quick-store handle so its really easy to winterize- you just turn off the valve and run it until the engine stalls.

Scott T Smith
11-02-2009, 11:46 PM
I see that Toro owns Exmark -- Is the Toro professional line and the Exmark one in the same??

A few years ago theToro professional line was a lighter duty product than the Exmark. It may have changed since then.