PDA

View Full Version : Harbor Freight HSS chisels

Alan Zenreich
10-19-2009, 7:06 PM
I know that many people recommend Harbor Freight chisels to new turners. Fair quality, decent price, and you don't mind learning how to sharpen on these while you gain experience and later purchase more formidable tools.

HF sells two 8 piece sets of high speed steel turning chisels.

Disregarding price, which set is considered the better chisels?

They don't match chisel for chisel in function, but aside from that is there much benefit of one set over the other.

For example, the "red" handled set has thicker steel (.25 vs .20 for the 1" skew for example). Does heavier steel equate to less chatter, and more control, or does a thinner chisel offer greater maneuverability.

Here are the two sets in question.

Red handled set: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=35444

Windsor design set: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=47066 (note that photo only shows 5 of the 8 chisels in the set)

Thanks for your thoughts

Radek Kowalski
10-19-2009, 7:19 PM
I purchased the set with the ash handles because they looked better made and the steel had a better finish on it. I personally did not know there was a slight difference between the sets.

Alan Zenreich
10-19-2009, 7:55 PM
I like the finish and shape on the ash handle set (Windsor) better than the red handles.

I didn't notice much difference in the finish of the steel. The profiles of the gouges are quite different... the Windsor set has a more concave curve to it.

cody michael
10-19-2009, 7:59 PM
i have the red handled ones and they seem ok. but no bowl gouge :( now looking back i would have made a different pick because bowls are what i do most

Alan Zenreich
10-19-2009, 8:08 PM
Neither set has a bowl gouge

Fortunately I acquired a Sorby bowl gouge, round flat scraper and multi-tool.

So I'm looking for the HF set for spindle work. The Windsor set has a thinner spindle gouge than the red handle set.

Kyle Iwamoto
10-19-2009, 9:44 PM
Neither set is outstanding, they look different and have different handles, so go with what you think looks better. I got the non red ones, because I think they looked better. And cheaper.

Buy a GOOD bowl gouge.

Mike Peace
10-19-2009, 10:16 PM
I have both sets. The cheaper set skews and scrapers are made from slightly thinner steel than the red handled ones, .215 vs. .24. The red handled 3/8 spindle is close to 0.4" in diameter compared to 0.315 for the ash. The ash set has a more traditional (better shape) for the two spindle roughing gouges than the red which does not come with two true spindle roughing gouges. The two equivalent tools are more of a continental spindle grind.

So there are tradeoffs. The red handled ones cost $25 more but some of the tools are slightly thicker and that set has a better sized spindle gouge. I believe the ash handle ones are the better value since you should probably buy a better spindle gouge anyway when you get more experience and money. If you buy the red handled ones, I would take the 1" spindle gouge and regrind it straight across so it will better do the job as your spindle roughing gouge. But you will really need to get a real spindle roughing gouge sooner if you buy the red handled set.

For the price of the red handled set unless you get on sale, I think the Benjamin Best 8 piece lathe set is a better value at the same price.

Scott Conners
10-19-2009, 10:56 PM
I voted by buying the Windsor set. I use every tool still, except the spindle gouge, which I don't care for at all. I use a 3/8" spindle gouge from a big name instead. If I were in your situation I'd buy the Windsors, and add a Doug Thompson or (insert major manufacturer) 3/8" spindle gouge. The scrapers and skews and especially parting tool have proven to be quite useful. I don't use the roughing (continental) gouges a lot, but they are quite adequate.

Dan Forman
10-20-2009, 12:07 AM
When I first started, I got the red handled set on recommendation from another forum, and used them to make handles for my Thompson tools. I continue to use the skew, and have reground some of the other flat tools for special purpose use, so I feel I got my moneys worth.

Dan

Steve Schlumpf
10-20-2009, 8:35 AM
I started off with the Windsor set and still use the roughing gouges and parting tool all the time. For the money - considering I am still using them 5 years later - it is a good deal!

David Hostetler
10-20-2009, 2:39 PM
I have been told that the ash handled ones are the same as the Benjamin's Best 8pc set from PSI. This is NOT true. I own the BB chisels. The tools themselves appear identical except for the name on the handle. The difference is the case. Believe it or not, the HF case appears better made... The BB case, well they don't even bother gluing up their box joints...

A fellow local turner has the Windsor Design ash handled set, I have used his, and my BBs, they seem to work the same. Good feel to them. Cut well, hone up real nice. Cheap enough you don't mind learning to sharpen with them, good enough quality you will find yourself using them for years to come.

JerHall
10-20-2009, 11:47 PM
and get this set. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LXWM1007.html?mybuyscid=6425366343
Every tool is a basic useful tool, including the bowl gouge. Harbor Freight is missing some pretty basic tools, like a bowl gouge, and needlessly repeats others.
Also this article suggests that import (Asia) HSS tools differ in steel quality. See:
http://www.woodcentral.com/cgi-bin/readarticle.pl?dir=turning&file=articles_801.shtml

I can tell no difference in edge longevity, taking a sharp edge, from BB tools and Sorby or Hamlet. They have long tool shafts, and good handles. You also can buy all tools singly. I have several of the same gouges shaped to different bevels for special cases. At the price you can afford to do this.

The BB Best tools do stain more easily from green wood tho, but they still cut fine. I don't like their oval skew, but that is just a judgement call and and an old argument.