PDA

View Full Version : Woodtek No. 1 Woodlathe

Dave Lehnert
10-19-2009, 4:54 PM
Just looking around at all the wood lathes available. I have read a lot about most of the popular lathes available but just today ran across the Woodtek No. 1 lathe. http://woodworker.com/no-1-wood-lathe-basic-package-mssu-961-983.asp
Looks impressive to the non-expert (that's me) but wonder why I don't read much about this unit. Have to say it's expensive.
Anyone know if this lathe is good or what the story is with it.
Just gathering some lathe info just in case one pops up on Craigslist an need to jump quick.

http://woodworker.com/images/ss/961-983.jpg

David Walser
10-19-2009, 6:26 PM
Before dropping that much money, I'd have a lot of questions -- like where is it made (it says the lathe is imported, but it doesn't say from where), what kind of bearings does it use, etc. But, from the limited description, it looks like a solid possibility.

Dave Schell
10-19-2009, 6:41 PM
I've seen this lathe in person a couple of times at a Woodworker Supply store and at their booth this year at the AAW Symposium. It's a brute of a lathe that looks well made with some interesting configurations. It has all of the right specs as far as I can tell.

I think the reason so few people have heard of it though is just poor marketing on the part of Woodworker Supply. This is true of their whole line of woodworking machinery as well. If I were their Director of Marketing, the first thing I would do is give a few away to some of the professional well-known woodturners that frequently demonstrate at symposiums and host classes in their studios. Names like Mahoney, Grumbine, Bosch, etc. I'd make sure craft schools like Arrowmount and John C Campbell had a few. I'd donate a few to the major symposiums around the country. They just need to get them out there!

In other words, they are in desperate need of a few celebrity endorsements right about now.

Dave Lehnert
10-19-2009, 8:53 PM
It does look solid. Just funny that it's almost impossible to find anyone with experience with it.
Now if we could get Grizzly to come up with something to compete with the big boys like Powermatic or Oneway.

Dave Schell
10-19-2009, 9:03 PM
Grizzly did come up with a pretty good big lathe - they just forgot to drill a hole through the spindle for vacuum chucking.

Dave Lehnert
10-19-2009, 9:22 PM
HOLY COW! I just downloaded the video. Take a look at what they turn on that thing.

WARNING!
The file is 59MB

http://www.woodworker.com/pdf/no1lathe.wmv

alex carey
10-19-2009, 9:58 PM
thats a great video, sure is a massive piece of wood they are turning. I have no big doubts about the lathe but it does seem to still be a step down compared to Oneway.

Jake Helmboldt
10-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Dave, my neighbor has one (I believe it is that model; if so it is the basic configuration). He loves it, though I have never seen it in action and I haven't talked to him in any detail about it. He is known to turn some very nice stuff, so he is an experienced turner. I looked into prices and thought it didn't make sense to spend top dollar on an unknown when there are so many good established lathes out there.

I agree with Dave S; they seem to do a really lousy job with marketing their tools and pricing them against competitors that are better known. I think if you stumbled across one used it would be worthy of consideration.

John Shuk
10-20-2009, 12:58 PM
I've seen that lathe in the catalog and always thought it would be a great machine based on specs. It really is no more expensive than other machines in it's claimed class. I agree about the marketing seeming to be the weak point to it's popularity.
No reason not to at least look into it as an option.

Chris Haas
10-21-2009, 8:04 AM
if i ever win the lottery, i'll get the whole enchelota. then you guys will know someone with the machine, until that lucky ticket, i'm holding out for a pm4224 on craigslist.

curtis rosche
10-21-2009, 10:22 AM
you could just go with the lathe from http://www.serioustoolworks.com/wood-lathes.php

Bob Hamilton
10-21-2009, 11:18 AM
Interesting. I wonder why the remote is only ON/OFF with no provision for speed control when so much of the video shows the turner standing on the opposite side of the lathe from the fixed controls. There also does not seem to be any mention of a "Reverse" capability, which may be why the turner is standing on the opposite side for outboard turning. What is the purpose of the "Inboard/Outboard" switch since it is all the same motor and headstock spindle?

Puzzled.
Bob

David Colafranceschi
10-21-2009, 12:36 PM
Let's keep on buying "Made in China" until there are no more jobs for anyone. It took 50 years to build North America after the war and only 10 for corporate America to bring it to it's knees. Congratulations-job well done!!

Dave Schell
10-21-2009, 12:56 PM
Let's keep on buying "Made in China" until there are no more jobs for anyone.

Hmmm. Oneways are made in Canada. Vicmarcs are made in Australia. Nova's are from New Zealand. VB36s are from England. Powermatic/Jets are made in ??? Are you suggesting we only buy a Robust? :-)

Woodworker Supply sells the Woodtek lathe for around $7k. How much of that goes back to China you think? Whatever it is, the bulk likely stays right here employing Woodworker Supply employees and building more Woodworker Supply stores.

It's almost 2010 - it's a world economy - we have to face that or really lose out.

David Colafranceschi
10-21-2009, 1:11 PM
You're dreaming if it is staying in your economy. When all of you wake up one day and ask who is the biggest purchaser of US issued goverment debt. Find out, all of you should know and then ask your self why all of this is leaving N.A. Is it because of the world economy? There is something called a 'Trade agreement', how much of that trade is for a finished product or just a bare commodity?? Then I hear all about our carbon blueprint. Then we buy goods that are made in China and shipped across the ocean-how many barrels of oil does that take? Go to your Home Depots and Sears and look on the shelves and find out where all the goods you are buying are made-not in N.A.. Funny, are the Chinese going to buy your furniture or bowls or platters that you are making on their machinery?

Jeff Nicol
10-21-2009, 1:24 PM
O.K. Guys we need to keep the political stuff out of this forum! We all know what is what and at this point any bickering about where it comes from is not what the question was about. No matter where it comes from it is a pretty respectable machine no matter what. It has a 3hp DC motor so it can be reversed and that is not the problem, most guys get used to having the headstock to their left so that is why when he is using the outboard side he is standing to the back of the machine which would make the spindle going in reverse if you were standing in the front by the controls, correct?

No more POLITICS!

Jeff

Dave Schell
10-21-2009, 2:11 PM
Funny, are the Chinese going to buy your furniture or bowls or platters that you are making on their machinery?

Funny you should ask that! Actually I did just recently send a bowl to China: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=120039&highlight=china

Although they didn't buy it and that bowl wasn't made on a machine from China - I have a Vicmarc from Australia. :)

Agree with Jeff too - let's spare each other the political views - sorry I get tempted into the fray.