PDA

View Full Version : Phenolic Baltic Birch

Drew Pavlak
10-19-2009, 3:26 PM
Hey all -

Has anyone used any of the Phenolic Russian Birch 3/4" 13 Ply 4X8 before for cross cut sleds and other jigs?

I was recently at my local Drooling store, I mean Woodcraft, and they were selling this for around $70 a sheet, normally is $87 and the European was around $123. So I picked up a sheet. It seems like pretty good stuff, but the Phenolic is pretty thin and I was wondering how it would stand up when used for a Crosscut sled. I think it would be fine for fixed tops like router table drill press table and others.

Also any words of wisdom on cutting this? Tape the Cut?

Thanks and any comments are welcome.
Drew :D

glenn bradley
10-20-2009, 1:11 AM
My sleds do fine with just a half dozen coats of shellac and occasional paste wax. I have one I have been running for years with that finish. The phenolic should do well. I have a DP table made from this (the one Woodpecker decided to stop offering).

As to cutting tips, very high tooth count and possibly score the line with a razor(?).

Brian Walter
10-20-2009, 9:07 AM
I used the phenolic BB to replace the UHMW on my table saw fence and it seems to be holding up well, but I just replaced it early summer, so time will tell. It works great for a fence and seems to be even slipperier (if that's a word) than the UHMW. I plan on using it when I rebuild my router table fence as well.

As far as cutting it goes, I think I just used whatever 40 tooth blade I had in at the time and it cut very well, but I really wasn't concerned about a little chip out on a fence, so I don't recall if that was noticeable or not.

Brian Walter

Robert Parrish
10-20-2009, 9:30 AM
I have made several sleds and jigs with it and haven't any problems. The stuff I used had a slick side and a rough side.

Drew Pavlak
10-21-2009, 7:01 AM
Thanks for all the reply's. I really need to get a Crosscut sled built soon. I think it would make my life much easier.

Thank again.
Drew :D