PDA

View Full Version : John Deere tractor dimensions

Andrew Schlosser
10-19-2009, 1:55 PM
I am making a small wooden model of this old tractor for my dad for Christmas. The neat part about it is that you will be able to take apart the tractor into major components- engine, transmission, wheels, driveshaft/PTO, etc. I don't have any plans, just working from some photographs and pencil sketching up what I think looks right.

I will be using a few methods of interfacing parts together- locating pins, wooden threads, sliding dovetails, magnets, etc. I've attached some of these basic design sketches

I am looking for someone who has access to a John Deere Model M tractor. I am missing some defining dimensions and would need you to measure them for me.

I need:
1. overall width from outside of tires
2. width of body sheet metal around radiator
3. width of dash (where the gages and steering wheel are)

Anyone got a Model M in the barn?

Tom Veatch
10-19-2009, 2:15 PM
Andrew, if you don't get a nibble here in the creek, try making the request over in the Tractor By Net forum at www . tractorbynet . org. There's a John Deere subforum on that site. Probably be a higher percentage of folks with access to JD tractors over there.

Andrew Schlosser
10-19-2009, 2:32 PM
I'll hit the tractor forums if nothing turns up here. Still, i'll update here, as I think people here will find the little craft project interesting. It's not bookcases and dining room tables, but the toymakers will find it fun!

Thomas S Stockton
10-19-2009, 2:42 PM
since you can't link to other message boards google yesterdays tractor and go to the JD board probably more active than tractor by net on the old stuff
Tom

Leigh Betsch
10-19-2009, 7:46 PM
3520 here, but no M

Steve Rozmiarek
10-20-2009, 1:37 AM
An "M"? That must be a pretty scarce one, I don't think I've ever even seen one. Sounds like a fun project!

Richard Blaine
10-21-2009, 12:20 AM
This site http://johnnypopper.com/cgi-bin/jdstatsf.cgi?M has some specs on the M.

Another site http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/3/31-john-deere-m.html

Don't forget to share your drawings and a photo of the finished project when you're done.

Sparky Norton
10-21-2009, 9:41 AM
Hello Andrew,
I think I can help you out. My brother has a real nice John Deere M that's locked up in his barn. Let me get in touch with and try to work out a time to meet him there. Hopefully this week.

Are there any other dimensions you might want? Pictures?

Sparky

Andrew Schlosser
10-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Richard-
I just found the tractordata.com website last night- that helped. So has google images- that's really an incredible tool. That helps me get things so they are proportional.

Sparky-
I found some more images online yesterday that I think give me some of the missing proportions. Seems like everyone likes the 3/4 front shot of their tractor. I'm going to need a little more detail of the gearbox/axle housing and the sheet metal across the top. I'll mark up a drawing today and get it out to you. thanks for your help!

Andrew

Mike Heidrick
10-21-2009, 1:10 PM
3520 here, but no M

I am a 3320 open station owner here Leigh. Hope you like yours as much as I do. I added front and rear ROPS lights, rear 12V receptical for my Fimco sprayer, hard lines down the loader for my snow plow, and a Optima yellow top battery. Have a few attachments.