PDA

View Full Version : High Angle Frog On Bedrock?

Jim Koepke
10-19-2009, 12:56 PM
My curiosity has been stimulated about the feasibility of using a Lie-Nielsen frog on a Stanley Bedrock plane.

I sent the question to Lie-Nielsen and they do not know, but are curios about the results if I want to try.

Is there anyone here who has tried?

Anyone with a LN and a Bedrock willing to give it a go?

My interests were about using the high angle frog on a Bedrock.

jim

Steve Clardy
10-19-2009, 1:10 PM
I have 2 frogs for my LN 4.5

I'll see if it will fit one of my round side bedrocks. [No flat sides to try]

Jim Koepke
10-19-2009, 1:39 PM
I have 2 frogs for my LN 4.5

I'll see if it will fit one of my round side bedrocks. [No flat sides to try]

They won't fit. The round side Bedrocks use screws to attach the frogs. The flat side Bedrocks use pins.

But thanks for the reply.

jim

Steve Clardy
10-19-2009, 2:38 PM
Oops. I forgot about the change from screws to pins.

Raney Nelson
10-19-2009, 2:45 PM
I will check this out tonight if no one has done so before then. I do know that the pins LN uses have a different thread pitch, but I'll try my HAF on my 606 and get back to you about it...

David Turner
10-19-2009, 3:24 PM
Jim:

It appears to me that it would work if the 2" wide LN 604 frog was machined with a 1/16" wide X 1/16" (+/-) deep rabbet along each edge. This would allow the frog to set flat on the Stanley 604 bed surface. The Stanley 604 frog is 2" wide but has this notch machined along each edge that allows the frog to set flat. The width at the machined surface is 1.895.

The pins and screws from the Stanley 604 do fit through the LN frog and the center line spacing of the pins is 1 1/8" on both frogs. The screws from the LN will not thread into the Stanley 604. They appear to be different threads.

Hope this helps and if you want more info/experimentation, let me know.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

Jim Koepke
10-19-2009, 3:56 PM
Jim:

It appears to me that it would work if the 2" wide LN 604 frog was machined with a 1/16" wide X 1/16" (+/-) deep rabbet along each edge. This would allow the frog to set flat on the Stanley 604 bed surface. The Stanley 604 frog is 2" wide but has this notch machined along each edge that allows the frog to set flat. The width at the machined surface is 2.895.

The pins and screws from the Stanley 604 do fit through the LN frog and the center line spacing of the pins is 1 1/8" on both frogs. The screws form the LN will not thread into the Stanley 604. They appear to be different threads.

Hope this helps and if you want more info/experimentation, let me know.

David Turner
Plymouth, MI.

David,
Thanks for your information. I suppose the width at the machined surface is actually 1.895 inches and the 2 is just a typo.

I guess you are also saying the LN frogs do not have the edges machined and the bottom is machined flat for the whole 2 inches?

The screws from one to the other should not matter as long as one has the original screws from the base being used. But it looks like it would not work without a little extra effort.

jim

Sam Takeuchi
10-19-2009, 4:01 PM
I don't know much about finer points of Bedrock, so I'm just shooting in the dark here. Can you use some kind of steel wedge between mating surfaces to alter the frog angle? I'm thinking if the frog is held tightly, it should be enough force to hold the frog and wedge together without chatter? Maybe longer pins have to be made and tapped, but if removable wedge works, there might be a good possibility there. At least definitely easier than trying to wedge standard Bailey (...who made that 50 degree angle frog? Someone from here). If I can swap wedges and go between 45 and 60 degrees with a Bedrock, that might be a good motivation to get one (but...I can do that with LV BU smoother already, but I still like the feel of Stanley).

Edit: Hm, maybe frog adjuster might not engage the screw if it's too high off the base mating surface, even if it did, it might not fit since it is not vertical.

Steve Clardy
10-19-2009, 4:21 PM
Bob Smalser did the article on the bailey plane.