PDA

View Full Version : Tools For Working WOOD - Visit

Jim Becker
09-23-2004, 8:53 PM
Robert Tarr and I were in NYC today on business and decided to stop by Tools for Working Wood in Manhattan. While not set up as an "ideal" retail environment, being in a "cubby hole" on the fifth floor of a non-descript city building in the middle of an un-exciting 20th street block, there was plenty of Neander goodies on display...just beckoning over and over again for you to pull out your wallet...racks of fine stuff, not to mention tools to play with and a workbench with wood to work. Sheesh! We did pull out our wallets.

Some most excellent Ashley Iles chisels and a new water stone ended up in my computer bag and Robert found a few goodies in the "sale box" as well as a nice water stone following him home. You can lead a woodworker to tools, but you can't make him return home empty handed!

Joel Moskowitz was an interesting and fun host for our visit. It was nice to meet him in person. If you like good hand tools...nice place to do business.

Pic: Joel in the middle, Robert on the right.

Herb Blair
09-23-2004, 9:15 PM
Thanks Jim for Posting the pic and info. I have bought stuff from Joel over the internet, nice to see a pic of the guy.
Hope you enjoy your Chisel..

Joel Moskowitz
09-23-2004, 9:57 PM
First of all let me say what a great pleasure it is to meet in person people who I have only met online. Jim, thanks for visiting and Robert thanks for being a repeat visitor. With most of our business on-line I also don't get much time to chat with anyone so it's great to shoot the breeze one in awhile.
However I do take issue with your statement: "un-exciting 20th street"
I would think it's pretty exciting. Well more or less. We have a strip club across the street, the former Limelight at the corner, 2 well respected resturants on the block, a shooting range across the street, and more importantly Talis has moved in too.

Talis, for those who don't know is the largest shop in the country devoted to bookbinding. All sorts of papers, leathers, tools, and stuff - anything you could want for professional bookbinders.

2 blocks away on 22nd street between 5th and 6th there is NY baking which is the largest shop, possibly in the US certainly in NY for serious bakers. EVerything a serious baker could want from a thousands of sugar flowers to all sorts of molds and bake pans, industrial sizes of chocolate (good stuff top quality), marzipan, frosting etc.
For the kids on 21street there is Abracabara a giant magic and costume emoprium that is a total trip to see, and they have free magic shows.

The reason I am mentioning all this is that NY and my little area of it is chock full of independant specialty stores within a very small walking radius. Blatt's billiard shop is on 4th ave and 11th or so - right near the Strand which is the best bookstore in the US - (kiehls is pretty close too) - I could go on but if you are visiting there are lots of things to do in the area - stop by and I'll be happy to try to find something special for your associates to do in the area if they don't want to want you play with tools.

note: as of now we are closed weekends m-f 10:30 - 6:00

thanks again,
joel

Jim Becker
09-23-2004, 10:03 PM
I stand "slapped up-side my head" for my inconsiderate description of the neighborhood, Joel!! :D I guess I was mentally gloating about those nice chisels in my bag, rather than paying attention, as I should have, to the clearly exciting things surrounding me...I guess that's what comes from living in the country for so long. (And thanks for a grand time while we were in the shop!) And I must visit that baking shop on the next trip...for sure.

Mark Singer
09-23-2004, 10:48 PM
Nice to see all you guys agreeing on everything....I was born in the Lower East Side...the alphabet streets...I love NY ...great place to visit and see my cousin Jerry Fishman , retired Lehigh professor. Goood guys , good tools what more could a fella want? :D :D

Bob Marino
09-24-2004, 8:17 AM
I had the pleasure of visiting Joel at his store a couple of years back, and to non New Yorkers taking an immediate look-see at that block (20th St) I can certainly understand that assessment, with those old, tall, grey buildings, but as Joel points out, there's much to see/do in that area (Chelsea). Like so much in the city, it just doesn't jump out at you (usually, anyhow). I worked in Greenwich Village (the next neighbord south) for 21 years and was always amazed at the rich history, the old, the new, the bizzare and the energy.

Bob

Alan Turner
09-24-2004, 11:50 AM
I do know Joel a bit, and am glad to see that NYC has been avoiding the business casual trend in dress codes.
:D
Alan

James Carmichael
09-24-2004, 3:11 PM
Looks like glimpse of Neander Heaven.

Which Ashley Isles chisles did you take home, Jim?

Jim Becker
09-24-2004, 5:53 PM
Which Ashley Isles chisles did you take home, Jim?
Set of 6, 1/8" through 1" with the longer bubinga handles. They have a little more heft and felt a lot better in my hand. The smaller set might be fine for detail work, but I needed something more "general" to replace the POS chisels I've owned for longer than I've been "woodworking". I also played with the Two Cherries, which were very nice, but not as nice as the Ashley Iles. Tools that "feel good" count for a lot...one of the reasons I bought the LN low angle adjustable throat block plane awhile back.

Jim Becker
09-25-2004, 10:13 AM
Those Ashley Iles chisels are wonderful, even in my extreme novice hands. While I'll certainly hone a little on the new stone, they were extremely sharp right out of the packages. Cutting smoothly on end grain for a change is a nice experience...:)