PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments.....

Dennis Peacock
10-19-2009, 9:19 AM
19 Oct 2009
Good Morning,

Well, the rain finally left, the clouds finally left, and we now see beautiful bright sunshine here in The Natural State!! I love it when the nice weather breaks out and the temps are just great. 40's at night and 60's during the day. Enough on how nice it is to have nice weather. :)

I took some much needed time off of work last week and spent that time doing stuff around the house and shop that I hadn't done in almost a year.
We split and stacked 2 chords or firewood and we still have about a face chord left laying on the ground that still needs to be staked, but I'll have to make a place for it. Some of the wood was hand split by splitting maul but the majority of it was split with a hydraulic splitter that I borrowed from a guy at work.

The LOML and I spent 2 days working in my shop getting it cleaned up, organized, and put up stuff that I was just too busy to find the time to put it all back up. It was really nice to get out in the shop again and I also spent some of that time last week to make 3 shadow boxes. I made 2 but the later warped, found some better wood and made another shadow box and so far, it is nice, straight, and clean. I'll get it finished and delivered today I hope. The other two, I'll simply rework them to some degree and give them away.

Maybe....just maybe I'll have time to take a casual ride on my motorcycle before I have to go back to work. BTW, I'm still riding my motorcycle as my daily commuter type transportation to/from work. I even ride during the winter when the weather conditions permit. I really, really enjoy motorcycling.

The only other thing (besides the day job) is I'm playing bass guitar at church most every week now and doing some "session" playing for a few local folks that are recording their own stuff and need a bass player for their songs. I am truly thankful for the talent I have been given.

Well, that's it for me....so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all!

BOB OLINGER
10-19-2009, 9:37 AM
I went duck hunting Sat. morning as it was opener for Southern IA; a nap in the afternoon, football game Sat. night; church Sun. morning. Finally got a couple of plantation shutters glued up on Sunday afternoon. It's been a long haul on the various aspects of making plantation shutters but fruitful in the end. Still, a long haul with many, many more on the way.

Brett Clark
10-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Finally figured out how to properly sharpen my card scrapers and finished smoothing the new kitchen table top.

Anthony Whitesell
10-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Nothing WWing wise, my other hobby had an event this weekend, kart racing. I had a couple of really good runs. On Saturday, I finshed 2nd but got moved up to 1st by an unfortunate DQ by the leader. On Sunday, I took home all the marbles on Sunday race leading from flag to flag.

There's nothing like laying down flat on your back, 2 inches off the ground, not strapped in, going 85mph...in 34-40 degree weather. Yee haw!

Joe Mioux
10-19-2009, 5:39 PM
continued with a china cabinet. i have the legs and frame of the lower section almost complete.

also, i checked out a friend's new wood burning - outdoor - pizza oven. That think is really pretty cool.

joe

Fred Voorhees
10-19-2009, 8:41 PM
Spent a number of hours Friday night, Saturday and some of Sunday working on a grand total of 31 walnut tissue boxes. Around a dozen of them are spoken for by people spread out over the country and even a guy up in Canada. They want them either for themselves or are ordering them for Christmas gifts. Today (Mon) after work, I finally began to bring in the walnut I had milled up into lumber last year and has been stacked outside my garage since then.

Keith Christopher
10-19-2009, 10:13 PM
Saturday I began re-finishing an old edison phonograph which was damaged in fire (heat only no direct flames/burning) so the finish is all black and crystalized- think dark colored sugar crystals) Made the frame and panel doors to my hanging toolchest project. fixed a 'too wide' gap on a linen press which is almost finished.

Then on sunday, gave the tablesaw an overhaul, re-aligned and tightened things up, hit the top with a abrasive pad and some mineral spirits and put a nice couple of layers of wax on it and the fence. :)

Oh and in between, went to the butcher shop, dropped off my dry cleaning, finished the laundry, and straightened up the shop some.

John McCaskill
10-20-2009, 9:28 AM
Got the bulding of the lathe stand far enough along that I could mount the new Nova DVR XP on it. Loaded it with 6 bags of sand for ballast, shouldn't move too much. I plan to put a face frame on it, then 2 removable cabinets with drawers for storage. Haven't turned anything on the new lathe just yet (still have the old Delta Midi 10X20) but I turned it on and ran it through the speeds. Boy is it quiet!

John
the pictures are at "Turning Group Members and their lathes".

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1239737#poststop

Pat Stewart
10-20-2009, 6:58 PM
Kind of busy. Finally got a DeWalt Dado blade and made zero clearance inserts out of some scrap ash for the dado blade. A minor gloat on the ash: 108 bd. ft. for $20. It was 3/4 T&G paneling 6"-8" wide with stain on one side. I got it from a co-worker that was making room.

Also made some inserts for my DeWalt CMS. Resawed and planed the 3/4" down to fit using the new bandsaw for the resawing. Grizzly G0513X2, very nice.

Made a taper sled to cut the odd angles for the Adirondack chair I'm working on. Finished the cut list and ready to assemble the chair.

Brian Penning
10-20-2009, 7:56 PM
Had the best woodworking weekend I've ever had.
Was in one of the better artisan shows over the weekend in Knowlton/Lac Brome, Quebec and amongst a few other things I sold both of my Maloof style rockers.
Was really great to deliver them to the owners after the show and see them just as happy to have them as I was sell them.
Now I gotta scramble and get more items made for the remaining 2 shows next month. Hoboy!

NICK BARBOZA
10-21-2009, 8:50 AM
Worked with my dad on the center console of is 1963 Boston Whaler Nauset. He came up and visited for a week so we could work on it. We got a fair amount done but i've still got to do the windshield, which has various obscure angles and curves... we'll see. The domino has been proving it self very useful on this project too!

-NWB

http://mikesphototsite.shutterfly.com/572
http://mikesphototsite.shutterfly.com/572

Derek Gilmer
10-22-2009, 9:19 AM
Made a wood storage rack for the garage. Then while taking some stuff out to the dump I met a nice old gentleman who was throwing away an old reel mower. Not being one to let an old tool go to waste I took it home and have begun researching. I'd like to get it back to new condition and use it to cut the grass next season :D