PDA

View Full Version : Blade for Cutting 1/4" MDF with a saber saw?

Dan Mitchell
10-18-2009, 11:14 PM
I'm making a large template out of 1/4" MDF to use to guide my router for shaping a table top. The shape has several curves, which I'm planning to execute with a saber saw. Is there any particular blade best suited for this, in terms of TPI?

TIA

Dan

Wayne Cannon
10-19-2009, 5:33 AM
I can't speak specifically for MDF, but I have found the relatively-new Bosch blades make a significantly smoother cut than any of hundreds I've tried in the past. They are labeled with black-on-gray that says "Clean for Wood", "Clean for HardWood", "XtraClean for Wood", or "XtraClean for HardWood" -- the "Clean" is the key. They have shaped, ground, teeth.

It's too late to run out to the shop, but I think T101AO, T101B, T101BF, and T308B are among the model numbers for this style of blade.

Fine Woodworking review: http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuideProduct.aspx?id=31900

Larry Edgerton
10-19-2009, 6:10 AM
I will second the Bosch blades. Don't remember the number but look for the thin ones with teeth set on both sides of the blade in a staggered arrangment. They are somewhat fragile so slow your cut, but they cut clean and turn well.

glenn bradley
10-19-2009, 2:15 PM
As Wayne and Larry mention, your saw will play as much into your success as your blade. With the variable speed dialed down on my Bosch 1590 and running the T101B or T308B blades, I get me very nice results on the 1/4" and the 1/2" MDF I use for patterns.

Dan Mitchell
10-19-2009, 3:47 PM
Thanks for the replies, I'll check out the Bosch blades.

Dan