PDA

View Full Version : Green wood sealer

Ron Bontz
10-18-2009, 8:19 PM
Well, I have been cutting up some blanks out of the white oak tree that fell about 3 years ago. Lifting them into my little cart was rough on the back. The wood ranges from good and hard to just plain rotten. I have been using anchorseal from Highland Hardware. But I was wondering what everyone else uses. I bought a couple of blanks a year or so ago that came with a wax on them. I like the wax. Is it available to John Q public?
Just a side note if someone from around Edwardsville/ Holiday Shores area is looking for a blank or two to turn I might be able to hook you up. Just bring your own saw. It would be one of those "cut your own deals". I still have some large chunks anywhere from 16" to 24" thick. 30" to 42" dia. I have to cut them up to be able to lift them into my little cart anyway. :)

Steve Schlumpf
10-18-2009, 9:36 PM
Ron - been using anchorseal for a few years now and have been real happy with it. I have seen the wax on turning blanks from some of the wood retail outfits and they all look they were dipped in a vat. As expensive as wax is - I never even considered going that route.

Bernie Weishapl
10-18-2009, 9:46 PM
I also use anchorseal for 3 or 4 yrs now with no problems. I probably would not use wax unless it was a last resort for me anyway.

Norm Zax
10-19-2009, 4:20 AM
Im a wax guy. Been doing it for a couple of years now. Melt in a dedicated pan over low heat, make sure wax is much lower than edge of container as fumes may catch fire, use natural bristle (dedicated) brush as synthetic melts or better yet dip about half an inch deep. If wax is not hot enough, it dries cloudy and may adhere slightly less. I use paraffin wax which I buy in pellets. Old candles work fine as well.

robert baccus
10-19-2009, 4:41 AM
i've been using wax for 20 years. made my on initially but found the various endseals more effective and far easier. it is wax in a water-latex base that dries to a paraffin wax. it was developed for the lumber ind. for preventing cracking on board ends. great for preventing cracks in roughed-out bowl blanks----------ol forester

David Pearson
10-19-2009, 3:31 PM
If it's been down for 3 years it's probably pretty dry. Might not even have to worry about sealing it. Anyone agree/disagree??

Kyle Iwamoto
10-19-2009, 5:18 PM
I agree if it's been down 3 years, save your money. Everything that will check is already checked. Not going to get any worse. Unless you cut the log in half, then I'd think about sealing it again.

Ron Bontz
10-19-2009, 7:49 PM
Well it's definitely not dry. The smaller limbs have cracked here and there. The main trunk stayed elevated off the ground due to the larger limbs when it was blown over. Tornado/ high winds. What a sight that was. :eek: One limb was about 3 ft. in the ground. I took a pic when it first fell. Anyway thanks for the info.