PDA

View Full Version : Trip to Philly/Washington DC

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-23-2004, 7:07 PM
Going to be in Philly 10/29-10/31 and 11/5-11/7 and in DC 11/1-11/4.

Anyone know of something wood related going on that I might want to do or see.

I already know about the Penn State Ind. Turn-a-thon on the 6th but I'm tied up at a wedding that day.

Going into Philly on I74 through Ill to Indy, I70 from Indy to the Pennsylvania Turnpike at New Stanton. Taking the turnpike into NE Philly.

Thanks for any information you can offer.

Bruce

Bill Grumbine
09-23-2004, 7:53 PM
Hi Bruce

I don't know how much traveling you want to do, but I am about an hour north and a little west of Philly. I am also about 15 miles west of Allentown, and fairly close to the NE extension of the PA turnpike if you want to stop in and say hello.

edit in: I just read Stefan's post and realized that the show is the one weekend. I will be down there all Sunday afternoon polishing up my new Minimax CU300 Smart and waiting for the final bell so I can pack it up and bring it home! :D Just go to the Minimax booth and look for the big guy chasing droolers off with a custom turned stick!

Bill

Stefan Antwarg
09-23-2004, 8:01 PM
Your in luck Bruce, because the Woodworks show is at the Fort Washington Expo Center (outside Phili) November 5th through 7th. I have bought a number of tools there. A very good show with all the demos, seminars, and tool companies you would want.

http://www.fortwashingtonexpo.com/

Stefan

Joseph N. Myers
09-23-2004, 8:39 PM
Bruce,

In what part of NE Phila are you staying? It sounds like you'll be pretty well tied up the 2nd weekend, what about the 1st?

Regards, Joe

Jim Becker
09-23-2004, 9:00 PM
Bruce, I'm in Bucks County just north of Philadelphia in case you want to visit here, schedule permitting. In the city, the Woodturning Center on 5th street is a must. The Nakashima Studios outside of New Hope (and near me) are open on Saturday afternoons from 1-4. And yes, the Woodworks 2004 shop is that first weekend of November. I was thinking about planning a "meet" point for folks for that event, since it's a "must-go" thing for me at least one day.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-23-2004, 11:49 PM
Let's See----- The first weekend, we will be arriving. I can probably pawn SHMBO off on one of her sisters for a while on Saturday or Sunday.

It looks like we will be staying out by the Neshaminy Mall (sorry for the spelling) off RT1.

It sounds like the Wood Show on the 7th would be a good place to go and meet people. I'll be the OLD guy wearing the hat with the Peoria Area Woodworkers Logo!

WE won't be leaving Philly till Monday or Tuesday AM, so the show is a difinite!

Thanks guys for the info. Hope to see you there.

Now, if I can get something from DC, I'll be set. WE do plan on seeing part of the Smithsonian while we're there.

Thanks again guys.

Bruce

Dave Carey
09-24-2004, 1:48 PM
If you've got the time check out the exhibit on studio furniture at the Renwick Gallery. Examples from Sam Maloof and a bunch of others.