PDA

View Full Version : need tree identification

alex carey
10-18-2009, 5:57 PM
my neighbor needs a tree removed and it looks like I'll be doing most of the work. Not really sure what it is, he says its a eucalyptus tree but I figured I'd get a second opinion. The leaves definitely had a distinct smell but I couldn't place it though I think it was pretty obvious.

Looks to have some pretty burly pieces, shouldn't be too tough to remove, I have a small mulcher up to 1", the rest Ill keep for turning and firewood.

Its only about 15 feet at its highest point.

charlie knighton
10-18-2009, 6:34 PM
the leaves look like what my mother had in her bathroom, my tree book show a more narrow leaf, i bet on your neighbor and mom :D

Greg Just
10-18-2009, 7:48 PM
looks like eucalyptus to me. Years ago I got some for firewood and it was a pain in the butt to split. The grain twisted and turning in every direction. I"ll be curious to hear how well it turns.

Good luck.

alex carey
10-18-2009, 7:51 PM
starting to think hes right, i looked up some pictures and it looks like a coin tree.

Steve Schlumpf
10-18-2009, 10:27 PM
Alex - sure looks like eucalyptus. I would think the smell would be proof! Just the same - sure looks like you will have some interesting wood to turn! Looking forward to seeing what you can create out of it!

Jarrod McGehee
10-21-2009, 1:18 PM
good luck turning it. euc is hard and twists and splits quickly.

robert baccus
10-28-2009, 9:26 PM
surely a euc. tree. there are over 500 species of euc. and this assures a huge variation of form and wood. most are hard and many are bueatiful.-----------------ol forester