PDA

View Full Version : what kind of tree is this?

cody michael
10-18-2009, 5:55 PM
what kind of tree is this. i belive it is a maple but can you tell what variety?

Myk Rian
10-18-2009, 6:03 PM
What does the bark look like?
Off the top of my head, it might be a silver maple.

David Christopher
10-18-2009, 6:05 PM
thats not a tree its a leaf

Darrell Bottoms
10-18-2009, 6:10 PM
Am also thinking Silver Maple....but, yeah...a look at the bark would be very helpful.

Myk Rian
10-18-2009, 6:16 PM
This might help
http://www.massmaple.org/treeID.html

Dave Lehnert
10-18-2009, 6:24 PM
Am also thinking Silver Maple....but, yeah...a look at the bark would be very helpful.

It looks like maple but don't think it's silver maple. I have 3 in my front yard and the leaf is similar but different.
Just not sure.

Darrell Bottoms
10-18-2009, 6:34 PM
It looks like maple but don't think it's silver maple. I have 3 in my front yard and the leaf is similar but different.
Just not sure.

You may be right Dave....I've got a ton of silver maples and just went out to check....the stems on mine are a pale red color.....

With fall here, (in Oklahoma) the hard maple's are showing a lot of color, while my silver maples just dry up and fall off....

Lorne Steed
10-18-2009, 7:02 PM
It looks like sugar maple to me.

Gary Radice
10-18-2009, 7:26 PM
what kind of tree is this. i belive it is a maple but can you tell what variety?

Where do you live?

David G Baker
10-18-2009, 7:35 PM
I am with Lorne, "sugar maple". Sugar maple leaves have 5 tips on them. I have several on my property. They may be known by another name, if so I do not know what it is. I have several maples that have 3 tips on the leaves and the leaves are smaller than sugar maple. I have never tapped the sugar maple but if I park my vehicles under the trees in late winter I get syrup droplets all over them.

Pete Bradley
10-18-2009, 7:40 PM
I'm thinking silver maple or possibly an ornamental variety. If this is a mature tree and it's tall and somewhat gangly with bark in thin gray strips, it's almost certainly a silver maple.

It doesn't look like any sugar maple I've ever seen. Here are some quick pics of three common maples:
http://uptreeid.com/PICShardwoods/HMAP-header2.jpg

Tony Bilello
10-18-2009, 7:52 PM
Anyone know what this leaf is?

Bill Huber
10-18-2009, 8:04 PM

That one looks like Hemp to me.

Bill Huber
10-18-2009, 8:05 PM
+1 for sugar maple...

cody michael
10-18-2009, 9:46 PM
its in the woods behind my house, so i'll have to go look at bark tommorrow, i didn't pay any attention. its a mature tree. I live in Midland Michigan

Rick Moyer
10-18-2009, 9:46 PM

I believe that's Munchie Maple.

Pete Bradley
10-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Could be a silver maple hybrid. This one is 'Autumn Blaze', a siver maple/red maple hybrid:
http://www.midwestgardentips.com/a_Acer_freemanii_Autumn_Blaze_Maple_Leaf.gif

If it was growing in the open, the leaves should be turning bright red, but if it's in deep woods, not necessarily. Regular silver maples have a yellowish-green fall color that's short-lived.

David DeCristoforo
10-18-2009, 10:14 PM

I sure hope someone does because I've got a ton of that stuff growing all over my back yard. My wife thinks it's some kind of "weed" and that I should get rid of it but I haven't yet because it has this wonderful aroma...

Darrell Bottoms
10-18-2009, 11:35 PM
I sure hope someone does because I've got a ton of that stuff growing all over my back yard. My wife thinks it's some kind of "weed" and that I should get rid of it but I haven't yet because it has this wonderful aroma...

Around here, the silver maple is considered a weed. Good for fast shade, but no good fall color and very prone to breakage in high wind or big ice...

Duane Wilcox
10-19-2009, 7:08 AM
Looks like the silver maples here in Gladwin, about 30 miles north of Midland.

Duane

Myk Rian
10-19-2009, 7:20 AM
That one looks like Hemp to me.
Medical marijuana.

John Keeton
10-19-2009, 7:37 AM
...I've got a ton of that stuff growing all over my back yard.David, is that your retirement plan??

Mike Cruz
10-19-2009, 8:05 AM
I think that is Canadian Maple.

cody michael
10-19-2009, 8:11 PM
here are some more pics. its about 40 feet from edge of woods.

why i'm asking is i was wondering if it would make good furniture grade lumber and some lathe wood. is this variety good or not worth my time

the guys who lumbers it charges 56 cents to cut and dry. how is this maple for furniture work?

cody michael
10-20-2009, 6:24 PM
i tried researching this but can't find anything

Danny Hamsley
10-20-2009, 8:50 PM
It is definitely not sugar maple. With all the hard maples, like sugar maple, there are no teeth between the lobes. The leaf is a soft maple, either red maple or silver maple. If it is a wild tree versus an ornamental, then it is most likely silver maple. If it is a yard tree, it might be the red/silver hybrid. Red maple generally has 3 lobes and this leaf has more than three lobes and is not a hard maple, so that leaves silver maple.

Silver maple is not one of the best maples for lumber. Even so, there should be some nice boards there, and I would go for it. I like working with soft maple.

Mike Cruz
10-20-2009, 9:27 PM
We call that a swamp maple around here. I sold one about 30" at the base to one of my local mills. He wanted it cut into 8-10' lengths. I got 150 to 200 bucks out of it...don't remember exactly. I believe he was paying about .35 a board foot.

For any tree huggers out there, it had already fallen, and I am not one to love burning maple. I have plenty of Locust and Oak to burn, so it would have just rotted.

I got video of him cutting the tree up with his mill. It was really cool. I even helped him with the milling. He has one of those really big horizontal band saw type mills. Amazing how little waste there is with it. I won't be posting the video though. It is in HD, and the files are HUGE.

David DeCristoforo
10-20-2009, 9:59 PM
"David, is that your retirement plan??"

You mean it's worth something? For like a "potpourri" or something? It isn't going to produce much lumber, that much is certain...

cody michael
10-20-2009, 10:16 PM
I know its not oak or anything but for simple stuff end tables bookcases etc would silver maple be worthwhile? or should i wait and try to find a better tree? its pretty big at the base and probably get at least 3 logs to lumber. going off the last tree i had done i'm thinking 200-300 bd feet.

after it get to small to make lumbering worthwhile how is silver maple for lathe work?

Darrell Bottoms
10-20-2009, 11:38 PM
I've got some silver maple drying that came down in the ice storm last winter and am waiting to try something with it. At the best, it'll be something beautiful.

If not, should be good for carcass work.

If nothing else, might make a good sawhorse or sacrificial fence type material or???

At the very least, I've used it to get a good fast fire going...just doesn't last long.

I'm not sure yet if I would have paid someone to mill it for me though. Time will tell.

Brian Kent
10-21-2009, 12:28 AM

It's often used in simple jointery.

Tony Bilello
10-21-2009, 8:45 PM
It's often used in simple jointery.

Brian
Anyone that even knows such a word as anthropomorphized must be very familiar with jointery.

Mike Cruz
10-21-2009, 9:00 PM
You can also let the logs sit in the woods for a year or so to possibly get some spalting in it.

Dave Loebach
10-21-2009, 10:08 PM
perhaps sycamore. Sycamores have birch like bark, but it large patches of white. The seed balls are about 1 1/4 inch in diameter.

Darrell Bottoms
10-21-2009, 11:20 PM
You can also let the logs sit in the woods for a year or so to possibly get some spalting in tit.

Might want to edit that one....:o

Mike Cruz
10-22-2009, 8:26 AM
Thanks! Done. Glad you caught that before I got booted from the Creek. :rolleyes: Sorry to anyone that got offended. I hereby retract any statement that caused harm, mental or physical, but my typing error. :D

Kevin Barnett
10-22-2009, 10:49 AM
If you can get someone to cut it up, it might be of good use for secondary wood. It's pretty light if it has silver maple heritage. If it's red, it'll be more like cherry in density/strength.

It looks like a red and silver maple cross or a red maple variety. There's a 1 in ten chance it'll have some curly nature to it. You definitely want to check that out. Some red maples don't turn red. Sometimes it's the tree, sometimes it's the growing conditions. My neighbor has a beautiful red maple that has never turned red - always yellow.

Prashun Patel
10-22-2009, 11:06 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Muchie Maple!

I'm dyin!