PDA

View Full Version : Edge gluing Melamine to wood

Edward P. Surowiec
10-18-2009, 5:09 PM
Please send your advise and recommendation for edge gluing Melamine to wood. What type of adhesive do you recommend. I plan to make a closet organizer system using Melamine sheet good for the vertical dividers and horizontal shelves. I would like to edge glue wood strips to the Melamine dividers and shelves.

Thanks Ed

Jamie Buxton
10-18-2009, 7:46 PM
When you buy a sheet of stuff commonly called melamine, it is usually particle board with a thin surface layer of melamine. If you look at the edge of the panel, you're looking at particle board. Good ol' yellow glue -- Titebond or Elmer's Carpenters -- glues to particle board.

Tony Bilello
10-18-2009, 8:01 PM
+1 for Jamie.

Any ole wood glue will work.

sean m. titmas
10-18-2009, 8:19 PM
on the vertical shelf dividers i would use 1.5mm wood veneer edge tape applied with heat or 3mm hardwood strips applied with contact adhesive.

for the shelf i would use a 1x2 hardwood strip with a tongue & groove joint to give the flexible PB core melamine some extra rigidity. you can join the 1x2 to the shelf with either an edge to edge joint or edge to face joint.

Ken Platt
10-18-2009, 10:35 PM
I use Roo Clear, which will bond both wood and melamine. Easy to use, water cleanup. I think I got it at Woodcraft. I used to to make some melamine boxes for closet organization, has held up fine over maybe 5 years.

Ken