PDA

View Full Version : This is the way it always goes......

Dennis McDonaugh
09-23-2004, 5:16 PM
I decided to replace my Jet 15" planer with a 20" model, but had to sell the Jet first or be killed by SWMBO. So I sold the Jet, and before I could scrape up enough cash to buy a 20 incher, Lowes puts the 13" Delta on sale. I decide that I can't pass it up for the price. I'll just keep saving for the 20" and get it later.

Today, I went to pick up some white oak for Christmas projects and they have lots of 15" and wider boards and now I don't have enough planer!

Oh well, I'll just have to store them until I can use them.

Steve Clardy
09-23-2004, 6:58 PM
Well. Not always, but sometimes that happens around here.

Steve

Mike Cutler
09-23-2004, 8:17 PM
Dang Dennis! Everybodies luck should be so bad. Ya' get a new planer( The Pic's Police are going to get ya') You got a lot of nice wide oak for future projects and you still get to buy the 20" incher someday. Now my luck. I'd have sold the planer and before I could have ordered the new one, the car would've needed repairs that equaled exactly the price of the new planer. :D Seriously though, the Delta is getting good reviews here, and I've thought about buying one to go with my Jet 15" planer. If the finish is as nice as I've heard posted here on the Delta and the Dewalt, they would make a nice compliment to the Jet, and save me some time. No matter how it works out in the end, have fun now. Nice score on the wood though ;)

Dennis McDonaugh
09-24-2004, 8:39 AM
Mike, that'd be a good idea. The Delta puts on a better finish than my Jet could do, especially on oak. I always had a problem with white oak--got lots of tearout where the grain changed. I tried everything, sharpening the knives, back beveling the edge, wetting the wood. Nothing seemed to work. I'll definitely keep the 13".