PDA

View Full Version : Peel-and-stick tile installation paper

Mitchell Andrus
10-18-2009, 5:02 PM
I saw something at the BORG that makes me wonder where we're headed.... I saw a tyvek-like sheet for installing tile. You peel the backing paper off of it and adhere it to the surface. You then remove the face paper which exposes another sticky surface and adhere the tiles. Then you grout.

If you have to grout anyway, why not also spread the mastic or thin-set too? Amazing. I guess we'll see this stuff on the next round of "house flip" shows.

Dennis McGarry
10-18-2009, 5:26 PM
I have had to repair a few tile jobs that i would have wished the original installers had used this instead of thin set!

How hard is it to know that your thinset needs to be uniform and all in the same direction!

Dave Johnson29
10-18-2009, 6:30 PM
You then remove the face paper which exposes another sticky surface and adhere the tiles. Then you grout.

Did they have lines on it for aligning the tiles? Sounds cool.

Dennis McGarry
10-18-2009, 6:48 PM
Would be great in a quick flip situation, BUT the subfloor would have to be perfecly flat.

If you are going to cheap out like that why not just get some contractor adhisvie and glue em down... :)

I will continue to do it the proper way...

sean m. titmas
10-18-2009, 7:31 PM
I will continue to do it the proper way...
and which way is that?

Dennis McGarry
10-18-2009, 7:39 PM
Pay the guy to come and do it?

No, Thin set and a trowel.

Mark P. Miller
10-18-2009, 10:42 PM
I tried the stuff a few weekends ago for a 3' x 3' backsplash. Works as advertised. Was able to jump to the grouting step immediately after getting tiles in place.

This product is designed specifically for backsplashes and counter tops. Not for floors.

It works just fine.