PDA

View Full Version : mission door shaper cutters

jim sauterer
10-18-2009, 4:32 PM
found mission door shaper cutter set at mlcs for $149 infinity is $290.has anyone used mlcs cutters.thoughts on other brands appreciated.thanks jim

Peter Quinn
10-18-2009, 9:35 PM
I have used the infinity sets, they work great. I have not used any MLCS cutters. I have also had god luck with Freeborne, Amana and Freud.

Sam Layton
10-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Jim, I am using the Infinity mission cutters now while building a door. The Infinity work great. Infinity are the only ones I have used.

Sam

Kevin Godshall
10-19-2009, 7:58 AM
I'm in the process now of "troubleshooting" the cutters I got from MLCS. Brand new out of the box the gap on both the tongue and profile was > 1/32. CSR told me I had to buy shims. Tech support said send em back for evaluation.

They rec'd them Wednesday of last week. Still waiting to hear of my fate..........

jim sauterer
10-19-2009, 3:30 PM
thanks.kevin that is exactly what i want to avoid.looks like i will have to save more money.thanks again jim.

David DeCristoforo
10-19-2009, 3:52 PM
For square edge doors, you don't need a "cutter set". Get two 3/4" straight cutters of the same diameter, a 1/4" straight cutter, a one quarter inch thick spacer and some shims. Not only will you be able to make "mission style" doors with these, you will find a plethora of other uses for them. FWIW, Freeborn's Tantung cutters are my favorite

J.R. Rutter
10-19-2009, 7:17 PM
For square edge doors, you don't need a "cutter set". Get two 3/4" straight cutters of the same diameter, a one 1/4" straight cutter, a one quarter inch thick spacer and some shims. Not only will you be able to make "mission style" doors with these, you will find a plethora of other uses for them. FWIW, Freeborn's Tantung cutters are my favorite

Just remember to sharpen both of the larger cutters at the same time to keep the inside edge square/coplanar.

David DeCristoforo
10-19-2009, 7:21 PM
"Just remember to sharpen both of the larger cutters at the same time..."

Good point!

jim sauterer
10-19-2009, 7:32 PM
david what is a good place to buy the cutters.

David DeCristoforo
10-19-2009, 7:47 PM
http://www.freeborntool.com/straight_top_groovers.htm

Hit the "Dealer Locater" link at the top of the page

Peter Quinn
10-19-2009, 8:09 PM
Jim, check your prices relative to the Infinity cutter sets. There most expensive cope and stick set is $180 right now, and they have a set for mission style (basic tongue and groove) doors with a 5.5MM groover for plywood panels for $129. Not sure where you arrived at $290, but I can't find anything that expensive from Infinity.

We have made "Mission" style doors at work as David describes, though it helps to have a dedicated set if you make a lot of these as they may not match well after several sharpenings unless you have them sharpened as a pair. We have also used Freeborn profile sets and simply put the profile to the interior, though this is on 1 1/16" thick doors where the full profile can be rendered on each side of the door. We had a customer last summer change her mind and go from a quarter round profile to a "Mission" style after the doors had been made but before hinge installation, and we simply mounted the doors backwards! She loved them and we didn't have to charge her to remake them. You could also make them with little more than a dado set on the TS.

jim sauterer
10-19-2009, 8:57 PM
peter it was a shaker 3 piece set.cost was 259.00 item 00-809.it has raised panel cutter also.

Scott Hildenbrand
10-19-2009, 9:11 PM
I'd asked a bit ago about Amana as a brand and their mission and shaker bits. Both adjustable.. Seemed that people liked the brand and had nothing bad to say about them. Cost is around $130-150, but does not come with the raised panel bit.

jim sauterer
10-19-2009, 9:53 PM
i have a delta 3 hp shaper with 3/4 spindle.is it wise to use 3/4 by 1 1/4 bushings.ebay has freeborn tongue and groove set that is 1 1/4 bore.bid is $149.00 now.ends tomorrow.thanks

Rod Sheridan
10-20-2009, 11:54 AM
I don't see a problem with the bushings on your application, the cutters are relatively small and not removing much stock.

You should be fine................Rod.

jim sauterer
10-20-2009, 5:13 PM
so if the diameter is not too large and amount of wood being removed is not that great it will do no harm.so style and rail bits would be no problem.thanks.guess you can tell i am new to using this shaper.

David DeCristoforo
10-20-2009, 5:30 PM
"...i am new to using this shaper..."

With that in mind, let me offer one piece of advice that may spare you from heart failure.

NEVER WALK AWAY FROM THE SHAPER WITHOUT TIGHTENING THE SPINDLE NUT!!!!!

This is one of the first things I learned and I learned it the hard way. I was just getting ready to snug the nut down when the phone rang. I went and answered the phone, talked a bit, went back to the shaper, moved the fence into position, snugged it down and fired up the machine. I will draw Mark Twain's "curtain of charity" over the rest of that scene but I will tell you this: I could have gone through my whole life without that experience and never missed it!

Peter Quinn
10-20-2009, 6:01 PM
I have a Delta 3HP with a 3/4" spindle, I spin 1 1/4" cutters bushed down to 3/4" all the time. I spin 6" panel raising donuts (freeborne), a 5 1/2" Freud insert panel raising cutter, an Amana profile pro with cutters for passage doors, all no problem. Cabinet sets are no problem and in fact the 1 1/4" sets work better given the larger diameter.

If it is the Shaker profile you seek, all the advice about the Mission style doors is off. You need a cutter set to make that profile.

jim sauterer
10-20-2009, 7:53 PM
THANKS EVERYONE seems ebay has more 1 1/4 cutters than 3/4.learned alot.dave and i will remember to tighten the nut.i did that in the router table one time and took the afternoon off.thanks to all.

Daryl Henderson
10-21-2009, 11:08 AM
So what is the difference in Mission style vs. Shaker style cabinets?

In looking at pictures from cabinet manufacturers they appear to be the same. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon6.gif