PDA

View Full Version : Router and Router Table ??????

Paul Dell'Anno
09-23-2004, 4:44 PM
2 Questions:

1. Does the Porter Cable 892 Fixed Base Router (2 1/4 HP) have enough power to make raised panels? I will using MDF for the panels, since the cabinet will be painted.

2. As far as a router table, what are your recommendations. I would like to build one, but better half wants her new cabinet "yesterday", so she gave me the OK to purchase one.

Thanks for all the help.

Jerry Olexa
09-23-2004, 5:00 PM
Paul short answers:

1. Yes i've made raised panels in oak w PC's smaller router (690-693)1 1/2-1 3/4 HP.. Just try to take it off in several passes and maybe trim off bulk on table saw before you start. Also a slower speed on panel bit helps! I now have 2 bigger routers but old smaller one worked fine.

2. I was in a hurry too so I bought the Rockler top and fence and built the underpinnings. They furnish a plate to match your router.

Enjoy Jerry

Phil Phelps
09-23-2004, 5:20 PM
A sturdy table and the proper router base will work fine. Dust collection is appreciated, especially for MDF. Here is a tip on painting your MDF. Fill it first with joint compound. You'll find it, pre-mixed in a box, at any paint or big box store. Trowel it on with a broad knife and scrape it clean. It will turn cloudy white in a few minutes, then use your ROS with 220 grit. and sand it slick. Prime it, then finish it. The joint compound will save about three prime coatings. It'll be smooth as a masonite panel.

Paul Comi
09-23-2004, 11:59 PM
I bought the 893pk kit that has that router with both a fixed and plunge base and I've made raised panels with it. I like the kit because I mounted the fixed base in the router table and then slide out the motor and do the freehand routing with the plunge base. Eventually I'll buy a 3 hp router for the table exclusively but this is a good get by solution and its worked fine so far.

Ralph Morris
09-24-2004, 12:10 AM
If it has var. speed, use it on the large bits, slow it down...

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 11:27 AM
Paul,

Check out and drool over some of the pricey router table offerings at Woodpeckers (www.woodpeck.com (http://www.woodpeck.com)). They have a variety so check them all out. I have the blue legs, 27"x 43" table, and Twin Linear fence. I just love Incra stuff.

Byron Trantham
09-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Twin Linear fence. I just love Incra stuff.
Chris I have one also. I can't believe how much control there is. I rarely see any comments about Incra and like you, I love their products as well. Here's a pic of my setup.

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 12:18 PM
You and me, Byron, none of the others here have caught on yet! :D

JayStPeter
09-24-2004, 12:56 PM
You and me, Byron, none of the others here have caught on yet! :D

I'm with you guys. The woodpeck plates are equal or nicer to any on the market. I have a PlungeLift for my M12V and plate for my Bosch1617. But, I replaced my Incra Pro system with a Jointech. I still like the Incra stuff, there were just a couple of features of the Jointech I liked better. The Incra Pro was more of a joinery system than general purpose router table fence (even with Dizzy's mods). The current Incra offerings would probably make the decision more difficult.

Jay

Dennis Peacock
09-24-2004, 2:15 PM
I wonder who has the nicest router/routertable setup AND the most expensive!! :confused: :confused:

I know for a FACT.....it AIN'T ME!!!!!

Keith Christopher
09-24-2004, 5:21 PM
Speaking of router tables. Brown delivered my new mel router table top from Jointech today. so I mounted my jointech system to it and it is awesome. It's an offset style and my new fence should be here on monday. I need to buy a digital camera soon so I can post more pics. :)