PDA

View Full Version : Washing machine question

David Freed
10-18-2009, 3:01 PM
Does anyone know where I can find the specs on a 20 year old washing machine? I want to find out what the capacity is in cu ft. It is dying and my wife wants a larger machine when we buy. I need to know how big this one is so we can know how much bigger the machines are we will look at.

Frigidaire fws645rbt4

I tried Frigidaire's sight and a few others but no luck yet.

JohnT Fitzgerald
10-18-2009, 3:12 PM
I couldn't find anything, but seriously - other than super small models today, I would think any of the current/modern models would have a larger capacity!

I would highly recommend getting a front-loader....just my $.02

David Freed
10-18-2009, 3:57 PM
Thanks for looking. I found a couple sites where I could buy any part for it, but no specs. Our present machine says high capacity (or something like that) on the front, so it must have been a large size at the time.

This is the one I am seriously thinking about.
http://www.number1appliance.com/wf448aaw.aspx (http://www.number1appliance.com/wf448aaw.aspx)#

It is rated #1 or near that by several sources. It is also the largest I could find. I know it is bigger than our present one, but I would like to know how much bigger. Our present machine has done a great job, but it is about worn out. My wife has put up with its aggrevating quirks for a long time, and I want to get her something that will make washday a little easier. This one has a steam cycle that will eliminate a lot of stain pretreating.

Dave Johnson29
10-18-2009, 5:23 PM
I want to find out what the capacity is in cu ft.

David,

A measuring tape and a calculator.
Tub size = ?????
Tub height = ?????

3.14 (pi) x radius squared x height

Measure in feet and decimal feet. As in 26" diameter = 26/12 = 2.167ft
Divide that by two for radius = 1.08ft

Rick Moyer
10-18-2009, 5:30 PM
Dave beat me to it. Pi x r x r x (max ht of water level) minus the agitator volume. A lot of calculating but doable.

I wonder if the model number is indicative of the cu.ft.? 4.5?

Dave Johnson29
10-18-2009, 6:28 PM
minus the agitator volume.

Rick, I think David will find that it is the tub size and not the actual available cu-ft. :D It will also be the actual tub size and not the water level.

This is marketing hype remember. :)

David Freed
10-18-2009, 9:25 PM
Thanks for the formulas, but I already know how to do that. I am just not sure about the variables that were mentioned (agitator, how high up to measure on the tub, etc).

I wonder if the model number is indicative of the cu.ft.? 4.5?

I doubt that it is. I can tell just by the pictures that the new ones are larger than ours.

Tim Morton
10-18-2009, 9:52 PM
you might be over thinking it...

Dave Johnson29
10-19-2009, 6:46 PM
I am just not sure about the variables that were mentioned (agitator, how high up to measure on the tub, etc).

was my previous post invisible? :eek:

Denny Rice
10-19-2009, 9:13 PM
I purchase a lot of repair parts for washers and dryers from:

www.RepairClinic.com

David Freed
10-19-2009, 10:02 PM
was my previous post invisible? :eek:

No. I agree with the hype, but I am not 100% convinced that they would be allowed to state the tub size as capacity. You could be right though.

Paul Atkins
10-20-2009, 2:55 AM
Seems like our 'new' front loader has a lot less cu.ft. but a larger load wt. rating than the top loader we had. More clothes, less water and better spin. No agitator. We like it 'way more'.

Al Willits
10-20-2009, 8:07 AM
3.2 cubic ft

al

Randy Cohen
10-20-2009, 9:01 AM
heads up about the federal cash for clunkers appliance program which is supposed to take place in early november.

Dave Johnson29
10-20-2009, 11:22 AM
No. I agree with the hype, but I am not 100% convinced that they would be allowed to state the tub size as capacity. You could be right though.

Even so David,

Two issues I see.

1: Buy the biggest that is available and do not worry about the comparative sizes. Would you not buy a new one if it was no bigger?

2: Measure the tub of the biggest and the tub of your old one and pass those figures to the boss.

I spent 2 years in the UK working with a major white goods manufacturer as part of a design team on an upright washing machine. The marketing types were trained to expand the truth. :D:D

Ironically, this was to be the company's first upright as they had always made front loaders. And so the World turns. :)