PDA

View Full Version : How Much Does a Hobby Cost?

Brian Kent
10-18-2009, 1:06 PM
I admit it. I am helping myself and everyone else justify the costs of woodworking. If you have another hobby besides woodworking, how much does it cost?

Golfing: Include green fees 2-3 times per week, clubs, new clubs, and better clubs, cart, belonging to a golf club, drinks and food, and even moving to a home alongside a golf course.

Fishing: Include the bass boat or ocean boat, the tackle collection, lost lures, bait, new boat gadgets, a truck to pull the boat or a place on the lake or bay to store it, gas to go to your boat and to put into your boat, an updated fish-finder, boat repairs, more boat repairs.

Musician: Include instrument, lessons, sheet music, better instrument, replacement for stolen instrument, van for big instruments, amps, tuners, gas to get to gigs.

Insert other hobby here: Include not only the minimum start up costs, but what it really costs for a full-blown hobby addiction.

Brian

Rick Moyer
10-18-2009, 1:18 PM
I learned a long time ago that whatever you choose as a hobby is gonna cost ya money!

Interesting thing you posted about golf: I have now done every one of the things you mentioned, except now it's only cart fees as the greens fees are included in the membership, except the occasional golf trip. This is my most expensive hobby, but the one I would probably give up last.

Motorcycle: initial cost of bike, gas, maintenance, customization (which can be in the thousands), trip expenses, medical costs (but hopefully not!), insurance, etc.

I don't want to add up the money spent on tools over the years:eek:.

Al Wasser
10-18-2009, 1:59 PM
The alternative to a fun but costly hobby is to set at home and watch TV and read free library books --- No Thanks!!

Stephen Tashiro
10-18-2009, 2:07 PM
Another question is: How much does lack of a hobby cost? Probably not much if you already have hobbies. Possibly a lot in mental health related costs if you don't have any.

I think if you make a accurate accounting of the cost of an activity, then you can't call that activity a hobby. In order to be a hobby, it must, in some respects, resemble a vice.

Mitchell Andrus
10-18-2009, 2:18 PM
How about $3,200.00 for a tenor, $3,800.00 for a baritone and $8,400.00 for a bass saxophone?

Brian Kent
10-18-2009, 2:28 PM
Stephen: "In order to be a hobby, it must, in some respects, resemble a vice."

Do they call it a "vice" when it gets a grip on you?

Mitchell: "How about $3,200.00 for a tenor, $3,800.00 for a baritone and $8,400.00 for a bass saxophone?"

That's what I'm talking about. I just talked to a professional violinist who leases her violin because she couldn't possibly afford to buy it.:eek:

Rick: How much does a golf club membership cost?

Al: We got rid of cable because it was absorbing too much time that could be spent on our own real lives (instead of watching other people's imaginary lives).

glenn bradley
10-18-2009, 2:56 PM
Try scuba diving the Caribbean. I spend less days doing that than I spend in the shop but the annual cost is about the same ;-)

Brian Kent
10-18-2009, 4:20 PM
I haven't done any diving for decades. I'm guessing $2,500 - $3,000 for full gear per person now?

Rick Moyer
10-18-2009, 5:20 PM
Rick: How much does a golf club membership cost?

Well, almost everywhere else it would be prohibitively unaffordable, but here in economically-depressed central PA it is about the cost of a SawStop. In many parts of the country it is ten to twenty times that, at least. If it was much more than it is for me I'm afraid I'd have to give it up, but I guess this is somewhat of a golf gloat. I don't have the time (or $$$) for three hobbies so I am considering giving up the motorcycle. It competes with golf in the nicer weather; woodworking is mainly a winter hobby for me.

Dave Johnson29
10-18-2009, 5:38 PM
...and the average US Male keeps a hobby for about two years and then gets a new one. Money makes the world go round. :D:D Sing it with me. :D

Brent Leonard
10-18-2009, 6:43 PM
I like to fish.

Boat: 20k for a reliable, newer boat with nice electronics. (This is for a decent boat, not a cadillac pro boat)

Maintenence: $200-$500/year. This may be high some years, low in other years. Figures are a good average IMO.

Tackle: Initial investment - $1k - $2k. 2 grand would cover a small variety of good rods/reels, a good variety of tackle and all the stuff like a net, etc...

Cost per outing: $30 - $50 for bait, and lures (to replace the ones you lost last trip). $50 - $80 fuel for truck. $10 - $80 fuel for boat. Food & beverages cost depending on if you bring your own or buy at a marina/resturant.

Licensing: $30 - $100 annual pass for lakes. $30 - $500 annually for boat registration & property taxes (depending where you live). Insurance $100 - $500 annually.

Boat staorage may be an extra expense if you don't keep the boat at home.

Some states may be cheaper to own a boat and fish. I have lived in Colorado and Kansas. In Kansas I have several good lakes within 30 miles or less, so truck fuel is not a huge issue. In Colorado, you gotta pull the mountains and drive quite a ways more, so truck fuel could be $200 or more per trip. Kansas has yearly personal property taxes (few huundred $$ per year), Colorado had no personal property tax.

Some people fish for very little $$, with a small boat (or no boat), close to home. It can be done for a lot less than what I spend. Then again, it can be done for a LOT MORE too!

ROY DICK
10-18-2009, 6:51 PM
A bunch.

Roy

dennis thompson
10-18-2009, 6:57 PM
Well I have one that's cheap, but probably not considered a "vice". When I first retired I took up painting, I'll bet it didn't cost over $200, some paints, brushes & canvases & you're in business. In fact one of the first pictures I painted was out of a "tool" issue of FWW, it was a picture of 3 different type of planes, it's still hanging in my office & is one of my favorite paintings. It's a lot cheaper to paint planes than to buy them.In one way painting is like woodworking, I probably have 50 different brushes & use maybe 3 or 4 of them when I paint, I also have a few woodworking tools I've bought & don't use & I'll bet I'm not alone here.
Dennis

Dennis McGarry
10-18-2009, 7:25 PM
Lets see..

Dinners (12 a year, at 100-150 each) 1800.00
Thinking of you gifts.... 1000.00
Clothing NOT inc shoes 3000.00
Nails and hair 1500.00
Hallmark holidays 500.00

Total 7800.00 a year
Discount for for allowing me to play with wood. - 10000.00 *est

So i would say the hobby for me completly justifies the cost!

Dave Johnson29
10-18-2009, 8:51 PM
I also have a few woodworking tools I've bought & don't use & I'll bet I'm not alone here.

Sshhhhhhhh Dennis!
Tig Welder 2-years
Plasma cutter 2-years
Toolbit grinder with angle table 6-years
Pressure sand blaster 5-years
Tow hitch luggage rack 3-years
1200lb Motorcycle lift 1-year
52" pan brake 3-years
5 ton x 2hp power punch press 7-years
the list could go on but I am scaring myself already.

All NIB (New In Box)

Jim Becker
10-18-2009, 9:47 PM
Equestrian activities...probably in the neighborhood of, oh...$1000 a month including Elvis's board, lessons, shows, farrier, vet, insurance, etc. Now this is a whole family activity, however, not something I do individually. That doesn't include what we paid for Elvis, the massive amount of carrots consumed weekly and, um...occasional shopping for tack and clothing.

And then there are books (I'm a voracious reader). Digital photography. And materials for projects in the shop as well as an occasional tool purchase when something becomes a deal that can't be refused. And the big orange power tool (Kubota) that enjoys nice implements. (sometimes bought cheap and restored to good-as-new)

I don't golf anymore...it's been over six years, in fact, since I've been on a course other than miniature golf on vacations with my kids. I have a lot of pro-grade musical instruments and sound reinforcement gear that I don't put into use much, but keep available for my kids and occasional mellowing out. I haven't skiied since I was in college. That's good...it's major expensive, too.

Denny Rice
10-18-2009, 11:38 PM
One of the MOST expensive hobbies in my home is not even mine, but my sons, he plays ice hockey. Close to a 1,000 dollars a year just to sign up and play another 3-4 hundred a year in hockey sticks, tape, not including the other gear he seems to be out growing on a yearly basis. Then the wear and tear on family vechiles and gasoline probably add up close to another couple grand a year. Hockey is too expensive!

Paul Atkins
10-19-2009, 3:29 AM
When I get done working in the shop on a job, I go back to the shop and work on one of my own -- hobby/job/hobby/job---priceless.

Chris Damm
10-19-2009, 8:22 AM
Muscle cars - tens of thousands if you really have it bad.
Hot rods - as much or more than muscle cars.

Ben West
10-19-2009, 11:19 AM
I've thought about this for some time, and I really believe woodworking is one of the cheapest hobbies one can engage in, if you really take an honest accounting of the true costs and benefits.

Imagine you were starting from scratch today. One could put together an awfully good collection of machinery and tools for, say, $25,000. You could engage in the hobby of woodworking for 20 years with this $25,000 investment, plus material costs. Over those 20 years, you would produce things worth well in excess of the $25,000 initial investment and the material costs combined; tangible things that you and your family and friends would enjoy and use on a daily basis. If you tire of the hobby after 20 years and assuming you have invested in quality machines/tools and maintained them well, you could sell them and probably get back 50% of your initial investment.

In all seriousness, I think woodworking is one of the cheapest hobbies one can get into, although the upfront costs are high.

curtis rosche
10-19-2009, 11:30 AM
wood turning. lathe, tools, better tools, tools you use once. grinder, better grinder, buffer, wet grinder, carbide tools, diamond tools, bigger lathe, wood, more wood, chainsaw, truck/trailer rental, bandsaw, hospital bill, vacuum pump. multiple chucks, faceplates, toolrests, hollowing systems, .... theres more, but i think this is a good start.

i wonder which part of this forum is the most exspencive? some need an exspencive machine, like cnc or laser, but carving needs tons of tools like carving that go from cheap to exspencive.

Eric Larsen
10-20-2009, 2:44 AM
Gourmet cooking:

$2,000 for copper pots and pans (Cop-R-Chef used)
$1,000 on various other pots and pans -- like a roaster, pressure cooker, paella pan etc.
$1,000 for a good chefs knife (I use a Watanabe Deba, no complaints)
$2,000 for various other (Wustof) knives (and sharpening stones)

at least $3,000 in gadgets that I use regularly -- stand mixer, vacuum sealer, food processor, stick blender, blender, ricer, food mill, mandoline, espresso press, etc.

more than $10,000 in a range/oven combo and a BBQ grill

Adding up, about $20K. Worth every penny. LOML and I never eat boring bland food.

Rich Engelhardt
10-20-2009, 5:19 AM
Hello,
Well - @ > $110k a throw for my present "hobby", I think I'm near the top of the list of "expensive" pastimes. ;)
LOL!

The good news here is that my "hobby" will eventually pay for itself.
If not, then I'll be able to recoup most of what I have into it - given time and a healthier real estate market.

Here's a sample of what I spent a week of vacation doing.
The before and after.

Rick Moyer
10-20-2009, 6:30 AM
party at eric's house !!!!

gourmet cooking:

$2,000 for copper pots and pans (cop-r-chef used)
$1,000 on various other pots and pans -- like a roaster, pressure cooker, paella pan etc.
$1,000 for a good chefs knife (i use a watanabe deba, no complaints)
$2,000 for various other (wustof) knives (and sharpening stones)

at least $3,000 in gadgets that i use regularly -- stand mixer, vacuum sealer, food processor, stick blender, blender, ricer, food mill, mandoline, espresso press, etc.

More than $10,000 in a range/oven combo and a bbq grill

adding up, about $20k. Worth every penny. Loml and i never eat boring bland food.

John Shuk
10-20-2009, 1:10 PM
Woodshop News had an article which stated that pro woodworker's tend to spend less on tools than hobbyists.
The pro tends to buy just enough tool and the hobbyist feels that there is never enough "capacity".
Perhaps more a function of feeling that a hobby may evolve whereas a good business mind will have a better handle on it's niche.
I've spent alot on hobbies in the past and have settled down with the spending(had to). There is a larger personal cost to not having something other than work and family I think.

Anthony Whitesell
10-20-2009, 2:33 PM
I got into kart racing about 12 years ago.

pit pass/weekend $25
entry fee/race $75
race fuel $26/two gallons per race
tires $90/set per weekend (they may be small but they don't give them a discount)
engine rebuild $200-600/weekend
clutch rebuild $450 every 5 events or so

plus travel expenses, food, other incidentals (brake cleaner, carb cleaner, etc), and the cost of anything I broke. Then there's the cost of the tow vehicle, trailer, and other non-wear/non-disposal items.

The bright side to woodworking is that you can (almost) do it whenever and don't have to wait for an event to come up.

So for a weekend the maintenance costs are around $500 (I did without new tires and didn't damage the motor). This past weekend I got 2-to-2 1/2 hours of track time on a NASCAR sanctioned track. That was two plus hours of full throttle, all out, at racing speed of 60mph plus (85 at the end of the straights), pulling 1 1/2+G in the turns, flat on my back, 2" off the ground.

Brian Kent
10-20-2009, 2:58 PM
Woodshop News had an article which stated that pro woodworker's tend to spend less on tools than hobbyists.
The pro tends to buy just enough tool and the hobbyist feels that there is never enough "capacity"..

I have a carpenter friend who bought the best of everything first time around, but had all his tools ripped off by a so-called partner. Now he has just a couple of high quality personal tools that he keeps with him at all times and the rest is from Harbor Freight.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-20-2009, 4:29 PM
My farming has been reduced to a hobby venture this year, does that count? Crappy danged economy.

I used to drag race, and that can be very expensive. I did it on the cheap, but it would be easy to spend $50,000 to $150,000 per year doing that, depending how fast you'd like to go! Thats not even in the really fast catagories with the sponsors.

Dave Johnson29
10-20-2009, 9:07 PM
engine rebuild $200-600/weekend

Geeze, you got off light. I paid $600 for a new connecting rod for an Aprilia.
:D:D

Joe Mioux
10-20-2009, 9:35 PM
I don't think anyone has mentioned hunting.

I used to bow and gun hunt. Now it is pretty much just quail with a shotgun and a English Pointer.

Prior to me settling for just Quail, I was into Deer hunting. I probably have a few thousand dollars tied up in Archery equipment, climbing stands, clothing, etc.

Guns, I have a few of them but the most expensive ones are still under $1000. Although I wouldn't mind getting a nicer Beretta over and under. Overall my take to the field guns are rugged, durable and if they get scratched I don't care. those are Bakhail 12 and 20 ga o/u's. After I fell over some barbed wire with a nice Beretta 390 and scratched the wood, I feel more comfortable with the Bakhails.

Cost, I figure I got off pretty cheap, considering how much the really good guns cost. or considering what hunting trips cost.

Woodworking by far has been my most expensive hobby. ie Sawstop, Minimax j/p and band saw, 16/32 sander, Festool tools, Nova lathe which might get replaced with a really expensive new lathe, lathe tools and all the other small accessories.

joe

Rod Sheridan
10-21-2009, 8:54 AM
We set our hobby budget at 10% of my gross income.

That includes woodworking, gardening and motorcycling for the two of us.

Diann has a BMW, I have a BMW, a Norton and a James.

We also have some woodworking machinery:D

Regards, Rod.

Jim Becker
10-21-2009, 9:32 PM
wood turning....

Um Curtis...from the look of your avatar, you have a much more expensive hobby lined up... :D

Roger Bell
10-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Almost any hobby is cheaper and more life-affirming than drinking and womanizing. Our spouses should recognize our discretion and support whatever hobbies we might choose.

Tony Bilello
10-21-2009, 10:43 PM
Almost any hobby is cheaper and more life-affirming than drinking and womanizing. Our spouses should recognize our discretion and support whatever hobbies we might choose.

OK Roger, you care to share your costs of drinking and womanizing so we can make a fair comparison? :D