PDA

View Full Version : Pen box Done

Jim Ketron
09-23-2004, 4:14 PM
I was trying to find a good way to personalize a pen box to hold a Bethlehem Olivewood pen that I made for the Preacher at Church.
Well Here it is Not the best job I've ever done! But it will have to do!:(
I haven't done any woodburning since I was 13. I used to do it all the time I still have some of my work somewhere? I guess I've lost my touch :o But I think He will enjoy it.
Jim
http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/Don_s_box.sized.jpg

Chris Padilla
09-23-2004, 4:23 PM
I think he'll love it, Jim! Very nice work...classy, too! I love the matching wood.

Michael Stafford
09-23-2004, 4:27 PM
I think it is great, Jim. Again I say both box and pen are beautiful. I would love to see a picture of the pen in the box. Did you use the little 5mm pivot hinges?

Jim Ketron
09-23-2004, 5:28 PM
I think it is great, Jim. Again I say both box and pen are beautiful. I would love to see a picture of the pen in the box. Did you use the little 5mm pivot hinges?
The box came with the Free pen blanks I won here from Bethlehem Olivewoods
I did have to do some work on the box I dont think it was made for a pen of this size I had to cut out a slot for the pen clip with a dremmel tool!
Thanks Guys I dont realy like the way the woodburning turned out but my wife says it looks good!
I'm too much of a perfectionist:rolleyes: I guess!
Jim

Dick Parr
09-23-2004, 5:34 PM
Very nice Jim. That New Shop is already putting out fine work. :D

Jim Ketron
09-23-2004, 5:50 PM
Thanks Dick I have 14 FPP done and going to finish the other 6 tonight try to ship them Sat. I'll post some pics

Michael here's a pic with it in the box. not a very good pic!
Jim

http://www.woodworkersweb.com/modules/gallery/albums/albuq78/Picture_001.sized.jpg

John M. Cioffi
09-23-2004, 8:28 PM
Hey! Nice job,as usual,Jim.

I'm quite sure He will love them both.The woodburning came out great. No need to worry;when we realize that nothing is "really" perfect, we can accept it as is.
Carry on! :D
John

Gary Max
09-23-2004, 8:45 PM
Shoot I think you done a fine job---I bet he will be very proud of your workmanship.
To tell you the truth I am glad you done the woodburning yourself instead of sending it out.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-23-2004, 9:21 PM
Jim....great job! I'm sure he'll like! How do you like working in that new shop?

Jim Ketron
09-23-2004, 11:52 PM
Jim....great job! I'm sure he'll like! How do you like working in that new shop?Thanks Ken
I love it!!!! Work in the cool A/C AHHHHHH! :D
It's almost like working in the garage right now! JUST A LOT MORE ROOM! I need to make some workstations for the CMS, Lathe, Planer, Grinder, to start then make a workbench! but Thats no biggie:D
Hows yours coming along?
are ya wiring up that baby!
Jim

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-24-2004, 12:05 AM
Jim:
When things are done with love and given from the heart, they bring joy to the receiver.

Obiviously, the wood is beautiful, but you brought out all that beauty in both the pen and the box. The "Free Hand" woodburning gives it more value than if it had been traced by a Laser.

As always, "Just one OLD man's opinion." I'm sure that they will be cherished.

Bruce

Michael Stafford
09-24-2004, 8:03 AM
Jim, thanks for the pic with the pen in the box. Are those slot hinges that they used to hinge the box? I am always interested in the hinging aspects of small boxes because they can be such an integral part of the design and can severely detract or enhance a small box.

Bob Hovde
09-24-2004, 8:42 AM
Jim,

I can't write that neatly on paper. :( He'll love the set.

Bob

Sparky Paessler
09-24-2004, 9:28 AM
Looks great Jim. That Olivewood is wonderful looking wood. I need to order some and try it!

Chris Padilla
09-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Sweet, Jim...now for your photography skills.... :p :rolleyes: ;) :D

Jim Ketron
09-24-2004, 3:33 PM
Thanks Men

Michael
Yes they are slot hinges there neat! I wonder what tool they use to make them? kinda like a biscut cutter?
Sparky
I will order some more when I use it all up It turns great and smells wonderfull!
Hey on the next visit I'll bring you a few to play with:D
Chris
Tell me about it!!!:D If I had a good cam it would make a big diff and a good background. The Cam I have is only a 2.1 MP it came with a printer

Jim

Michael Stafford
09-24-2004, 4:19 PM
Slot hinges are installed in slot cut by saw blade that is the same thickness as the hinge leaf. The saw blade is on an arbor that is used in a drill press. The hinges are available in at least two different sizes each requiring a different diameter blade. The hinges have little barbs and once inserted they are almost impossible to remove. Really only suitable for lightweight boxes. I used to use quite a few of them on boxes that I made bunches of that were the same size. Tedious to set up the saw but once in the groove repeatability was great. I think you can still buy them from Rockler. I have enough to last me a while.

John Olson
09-25-2004, 4:03 PM
The writing is fine. I some times write out in pencil then burn over my pencil lines. All my boxes are signed and dated with the woods I used listed on the bottom in woodburned letters. Makes for lots of practice.

Jason Tuinstra
09-25-2004, 4:27 PM
Jim, as a pastor myself, I'd be happy to get this gift any day of the week! Nice job and even better gesture.