PDA

View Full Version : Rookie Question

Al Stramiello
10-18-2009, 12:54 PM
I'm pretty much a turner and slowly getting into making bandsaw boxes. I need to square up some small blocks of wood. Before getting myself hurt (which I am highly skilled at) I thought I'd ask for a little friendly advice. So, here goes . . .

I want to square up some blocks of wood that are around 5x5x4. I worry about running them across my jointer (especially since it's an old, old Craftsman that's missing a blade guard) and I worry about the accuracy of using my bs. Is the safest and best solution to set up a sanding disc on my lathe?

Thanks for the advice.

Walter Plummer
10-18-2009, 1:39 PM
Do Not attempt this on the jointer! Guard or no guard. How square do they need to be? From what I have seen of band saw boxes I thought all you need is a flat surface for the table and the rest is cut on the saw anyway? Can you post pics of the blocks? Maybe we can come up with something safe.

Paul Atkins
10-18-2009, 1:41 PM
Don't even think of running them across the jointer. You will not have fingers tomorrow if you do. I think the sanding method is best for small blocks like this. You can fix the accuracy of the bandsaw and then sand too. You could make the blocks from longer stock that has been run through the jointer first and then chop them off.

Jeff Willard
10-19-2009, 8:47 AM
Handplane.

Jon Prouty
10-19-2009, 1:02 PM
okay... not to hijack but I'm another rookie who hasn't taken the planner out of the box yet. What is the minimum length board to run across the jointer? or through a planner for that matter? Obviously push blocks, etc to be used. Thanks!

JP

Tony Bilello
10-19-2009, 1:08 PM
They all vary slightly as to what the manufacturer recommends. I would follow the manufacturers recommendations for the joiner/planer you have.

Michael Schwartz
10-19-2009, 1:35 PM
okay... not to hijack but I'm another rookie who hasn't taken the planner out of the box yet. What is the minimum length board to run across the jointer? or through a planner for that matter? Obviously push blocks, etc to be used. Thanks!

JP

5" is way too short first of all, I would use a handplane.

11-12" inches is typically the limit for most joiners and planers. You might be able to go a little bit shorter on the jointer with a very light cut, especially on an edge and not a face but read what your manufacturer recommends, and anything less is at your own risk. If it does not feel or look right DO NOT DO IT, regardless of who has recommended you do it that way, or have seen do it.

When using the jointer make sure you have a very steady footing and you can't slip in any way. If you have to use much more than a gentle force to feed the work your risking sipping which could result in contact with the cutter-head. In this situation either your taking too aggressive of a cut, feeding the work too fast, or your knives are dull and your jointer is not tuned.

Joe Wiliams
10-19-2009, 2:38 PM
Rookie Follow Up Question...

What are the risks of running a 'too short' board through the jointer?

Bob Vavricka
10-19-2009, 3:42 PM
Joe, the risk is that the leading or trailing edge of the board will tip into the throat opening between the infeed and outfeed table. This could be catastrophic either way. The minimum length that I used for the jointer when I was teaching was 10 inches, but even then you need to be careful to maintain downward pressure on the board on the infeed side as you start the cut and until the leading edge is over the outfeed table. At that time you want to maintain downward pressure on both the infeed and outfeed table and then trasfer the pressure to just the outfeed table as you finish the cut. By pressure, I mean enough pressure to keep the board from tipping and will be dependant to some degree on the overall size of the board you are jointing. Also remember to use a push shoe if it is a narrow board to keep you finger well above the cutter. On a wider board, you can change hand position as you are jointing to avoid the area above the cutter head.
I worked with a person who was teaching an 8th grade industrial arts class and was demonstrating why you didn't want to run short narrow boards on the jointer (with the jointer running) and now has two fingers a couple of joints shorter than they should be. I never felt like I could afford to make such realistic demonstrations.
Bob V.

Jeff Willard
10-19-2009, 3:42 PM
At worst-becoming an involuntary inductee into the "Missing Digit Society".

Joe Wiliams
10-19-2009, 6:54 PM
Thanks for the explanation Bob.

John Keeton
10-19-2009, 9:08 PM
Handplane.+1. Quick, clean, simple, and safe!