PDA

View Full Version : Another cottonwood bowl

Curt Fuller
10-18-2009, 12:48 PM
I did another cottonwood bowl with a ring of inlay. This one is inlaid with chokecherry twigs and filled with coffee. The cracks are also filled with coffee. The bowl is a form that I've always liked but never been able to get one that looks very good, still trying. The wood is from an endgrain log, pith down the center. It's weathered cottonwood that was standing dead and all the bark was off. It was almost perfectly round to begin with so the color in the wood is just barely underneath the gray outside surface of the log. It's 11" x 7.5", the walls start out at 7/16" thick and end up about 7/8" thick in the bottom.

A couple side views, inside, and bottom.

All comments and critiques welcomed!

alex carey
10-18-2009, 1:06 PM
another beautiful cottonwood bowl, love the inlay.

Dennis Ford
10-18-2009, 1:08 PM
I really like the inlay. The wood figure and bowl form go well together. The bowl looks very smooth inside, did you have much trouble with tear-out of the end grain?

Curt Fuller
10-18-2009, 1:17 PM
I really like the inlay. The wood figure and bowl form go well together. The bowl looks very smooth inside, did you have much trouble with tear-out of the end grain?

Thanks Dennis. The inside has some very serious 80 grit gouge work done on it to get it smooth. The depth stretched my tool arsenal to the limit so I was out were I didn't have much control for a smooth cut. Thank God for sanding extensions.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-18-2009, 1:47 PM
You have made another beauty Curt!

I hope to get back to my lathe shortly.

Steve Schlumpf
10-18-2009, 2:44 PM
Curt - this is really nice! I like the form - very organic - and the high walls give the grain a chance to be appreciated! Very cool inlay! Gives a Native American feel to the piece!

You sure have been coming up with some nice variations to standard bowls! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next!

Steve Mawson
10-18-2009, 2:49 PM
That is another super piece. Like the colors, just never knew cottonwood could be so beautiful. Since it was dead on the stump cracking should not be a problem.

Bernie Weishapl
10-18-2009, 4:44 PM
That is a beauty Curt. Really like the inlay. Well done.

Ron Lynch
10-18-2009, 5:13 PM
I think you nailed the form, nice fair curves and I like the inlay, very organic (I hate that word, but it fits here).

Kenneth Whiting
10-18-2009, 5:35 PM
Beautiful bowl. I really like what you do with your inlays. It brought up a question from the LOML, but I think I should start a new thread, I don't want to steal yours.

Utilitarian or decoration?

ROY DICK
10-18-2009, 7:02 PM
Curt,
Very nice cotton bowl.
Did you drink the coffee first and then dry the grounds?:D

Roy

Terry Achey
10-18-2009, 9:04 PM
I agree with Steve. The bowl gives me the impression of Native American craftmanship. Very unique and pleasing design. I really think the shape is complimentary for this wood and pattern. As an act of basic respect...I'll wait a while before I copy your pattern :D.

Thanks for sharing, Curt.
Terry