PDA

View Full Version : New G0690 is not dead flat

scott vroom
10-18-2009, 11:49 AM
My new G0690 TS has a .009 sag in the direction parallel to the blade. I used two different straight edges to confirm. Should I be concerned?

Dan Friedrichs
10-18-2009, 12:01 PM
I'd look up the specs for the saw (they usually specify how flat the top should be in all directions), and see if it exceeds that. IIRC, when I was looking at the SawStop specs, they allow for 0.01" out-of-flat (don't quote me on that).

It's a negligible amount, though. It won't affect the saw's performance.

Question: Do you have the extension wings on? Often, those will pull the top a little, changing the "flatness".

Bruce Page
10-18-2009, 12:08 PM
"Should I be concerned?"

No
You're talking the thickness of two sheets of notebook paper. It's not a big deal.

scott vroom
10-18-2009, 12:57 PM
Guys, thanks for the reassuring comments.

Dan, to answer your question yes, the extensions are on. I could swear the table was dead flat before I add the extensions. I guess they could cause some minor change in flatness.

Anyway, I'm not going to worry about it. I'm finishing my shop wiring today and will be making sawdust by tonight!

Thanks-

Harold Burrell
10-18-2009, 1:32 PM
My new G0690 TS has a .009 sag in the direction parallel to the blade...

I just think it is so cool that you could know that. :D

I would have been like, "Hey, look! I can see light between my staight edge and my table! Stupid straight edge..."

scott vroom
10-18-2009, 1:44 PM
LOL at Harold!!!:D

glenn bradley
10-18-2009, 3:09 PM
Scott, unless Grizzly's specs have changed, .01" is their tolerance. I would not be concerned. You can probably improve that. On my last go-round of aligning my saw (had to move it due to changing DC's), I set the blade alignment at 90*, 22.5* and 45* with the wings off as it was easier.

I then checked the table for flat to be sure it was close, added the wings and then dialed it in. My wings are supported by my router table to the left and by an accessory storage column to the right so I can play around with the flatness quite a bit.

With your stock config you can use the fence rails to support the wings to some degree if you want to go to those lengths. If you will be making the saw mobile, I would worry even less. I'm betting you will be fine with it as is. Enjoy that beast!

Rick Fisher
10-19-2009, 3:43 AM
Nothing is truly flat, but your jointer.. that's pretty close..

I would be happy..

Stephen Edwards
10-19-2009, 7:24 AM
As someone wrote in a thread here shortly after I joined the Creek, remember, we're working with wood here, not building the space shuttle. I wouldn't be a bit concerned about .009 out of flat on your saw table top. Enjoy your new machine!

scott spencer
10-19-2009, 8:25 AM
It's quite possible that even a deviation that's 10x the tolerance would not effect the cut. It really depends on where the deviation is, but most would require a very large deviation to translate to a defective cut.

Be fussy about your alignment where it makes a difference.

Jeff Miller
10-19-2009, 12:15 PM
It's quite possible that even a deviation that's 10x the tolerance would not effect the cut. It really depends on where the deviation is, but most would require a very large deviation to translate to a defective cut.

Be fussy about your alignment where it makes a difference.

That was well said....................the boss of this site should make a sticky post with it:)

JEFF:cool:

John Callahan
10-19-2009, 3:32 PM
My new G0690 TS has a .009 sag in the direction parallel to the blade. I used two different straight edges to confirm. Should I be concerned?
Not imho. From what Glenn says it sounds it's within tolerance. If only these old eyeballs were that good! :D

John Harden
10-19-2009, 3:38 PM

IMHO that is such a small amount of sag that I highly doubt it would ever have an impact on your work.

If it were me, I wouldn't worry about it.

Regards,

John