PDA

View Full Version : Don't Try This At Home

Ed Sallee
10-18-2009, 9:27 AM
Somebody posted this video on Facebook.... I couldn't believe what this guy is doing..... Thought I'd share with ya'all.... I'm sure we'll see some colorful comments on this one...

Video Linky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wrd3xgmHn8)

Disclaimer: Don't try this at home.

mike holden
10-18-2009, 9:58 AM
YeeeHa!
Although to be honest, I was more concerned with him stabbing his hand with the screwdriver/lever when taking the shell segments off.
I also question putting something that has touched my sawblade in my mouth without washing it first.
I could easily see this as a cooking tip.
Mike

Dennis McGarry
10-18-2009, 10:18 AM
YeeeHa!
Although to be honest, I was more concerned with him stabbing his hand with the screwdriver/lever when taking the shell segments off.
I also question putting something that has touched my sawblade in my mouth without washing it first.
I could easily see this as a cooking tip.
Mike

i thought the same thing on the screwdriver..

I know i have at times had to run something over the table saw, without the blade gaurd in place and in a way that shouldnt have been, before I knew what a sled was.. I would guess most of us have at one point. Never lost a finger thank god. BUT I have had some pretty good gouges from screwdrivers in many events...

HMm could it be the common screwdriver is more dangerious when used then a TS? :)

mickey cassiba
10-18-2009, 10:55 AM
Can't let the wife see this...she makes beaded jewelry, and her latest find is coconut shell beads which she pays too much for. I can hear it now...:confused:

glenn bradley
10-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Like Mike and Dennis I was just cringing waiting for ho to stab himself in the web of his hand. This is right up there with that drunk guy that demos tablesaw techniques.

Rick Moyer
10-18-2009, 1:08 PM
Well I was impressed with how well he matched up the score lines as he was rolling the coconut around. My sound is not working so I only could "see" the video, but my question is, why would you want to peel off the shell like that? Isn't there a better way to get at the insides?
(I don't have much coconut opening experience)

David G Baker
10-18-2009, 3:19 PM
Getting the shell off of a coconut is a serious chore and I have never had much luck. I have always used the punch a hole, drain the liquid then smash with a hammer method. If there was a safer way to hold the coconut, I am all for using the table saw/screwdriver method.

Dennis McGarry
10-18-2009, 4:23 PM
Hmm

take a small cross cut sled, ad a another on top, to form a two part box, a couple of dowels in there to position the coconut. clamp box shut all around the coconut and pass over saw. Open top, reposition, repeat..

mike holden
10-19-2009, 8:04 AM
David,
Maybe use a pipe cutter? That would score\cut the shell and allow it to be removed. I have always used the hammer and paper bag method myself.
Mike

Sean Troy
10-19-2009, 8:25 AM
Using a TS? What a nut ! :D

Paul Atkins
10-19-2009, 1:23 PM
Actually made my mouth water. I think the idea was to get the whole thing peeled without breaking the meat. The best coconut I've had was right off the tree and was like thick jello in the center and almost no shell. I have to admit I've done a couple of things as risky as this.

Sam Takeuchi
10-19-2009, 2:45 PM
When I used to work in the Maldives, we had a couple of locals showing me the traditional way of peeling coconut. Hold it in left hand right in front of you, swing machete at an angle at the coconut. I didn't try of course. I wanted to keep my HAND. They did it like it's nothing. And it took a lot less than the table saw method :) No spilling and crushing either. of course it looked somewhat blocky, sort of like shaping a wood with a hatchet, but it did the job. I don't recommend trying it at home, however.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-19-2009, 8:34 PM
Looks like something I'd do. And not feel badly about it at all.
'Cept I'd not chance the milk all over the TS top

check this chick out. The knife on the tongue gave me the willies

Ted Calver
10-19-2009, 8:36 PM
I'm thinking with an easy jig I could do it on the bandsaw.