PDA

View Full Version : Woodmaster Planers?

Matt Meiser
10-18-2009, 9:25 AM
Anyone have a woodmaster planer, especially a 12" model? What do you think of it? Good buy or? From photos, it looks like a heavier duty machine than any of the lunchbox models, but doesn't appear to have much cast iron. How does it perform for tasks ranging from hogging off material from rough sawn lumber to that last final cut?

Also if you have any of the other accessories I'd be interested in comments on those, including on the ease of switching over.

Chris Rosenberger
10-18-2009, 9:50 AM
I have had an 18" Woodmaster planer for about 15 years. I very seldom use it as a planer. I keep it setup for molding. It has held up very well. It has worked well on the times I have used it as a planer. The only cast iron on them is the table & pillow blocks for the bearings.

Duane Wilcox
10-19-2009, 7:49 AM
I have a Woodmaster 612, bought new in 1984. Have been pleased with it. Would buy again.

Duane

Ed Labadie
10-19-2009, 8:02 AM
I've got an old C-man planer, made by Belsaw, and a predessor to the current Woodmaster models.
Good machines, very simple and rugged. The basic design has been used for years.
IMO, the rubber feed rollers are a plus, no marring of the workpiece that sometimes happens with the segmented steel feed rollers.

The only downfall I can see to a new Woodmaster is the cost of a spiral cutterhead, IIRC, quite a bit more than one for an imported machine.

Ed

Matt Meiser
10-19-2009, 8:06 AM
Well, someone around here got a really good deal from what it appears. It looks like it was a 712 model--$250. Unfortunately I was too late. I'd contacted the seller at the same time as posting this, but by the time he responded and I checked my mail and responded back it was gone.

Bill Leonard
10-19-2009, 8:58 AM
I purchased a used 718 with the pro pak and sander along with a Delta drill press and Swamp Fox 2hp DC, all used, about two years ago. Used them all extensively to build our new kitchen cabinets, vanities, mantel, built ins etc. The Woodmaster, in my opinion, is well worth the money, even at the new price. Changing between Planer and Sander took a little time initially, but the learning curve is pretty steep. I can switch between the two in about 10 minutes, maybe a little less. I have even considered getting an additional 728, but haven't found the deal yet. Not much can go wrong with them and if it does the Customer Service is very good.

george wilson
10-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Is that Swamp Fox used for sucking up bog oak shavings?:)