PDA

View Full Version : Help Finding Welding Vent

Keith Outten
10-18-2009, 8:52 AM
I have a Miller Bobcat 250 gas powered welding machine that I want to place in my barn. What I need is a through the wall vent kit for the engine exhaust pipe that I can install and be able to operate the welder/generator without moving it outside.

The vent can be located either in the side wall on the back of the barn or go through the roof. The side wall would be the shortest distance and would be preferred in this case.

Anyone know of a kit I can purchase for this purpose rather than designing and fabricating my own?

TIA

David G Baker
10-18-2009, 10:24 AM
Keith,
There is a magnetic attachment that can be used to vent generators. Try the standard brand name generator sites, Genrac, etc. I spent a lot of time looking for a vent for my Honda but the exhaust pipe on my Honda is too small and the manufacturer recommends not putting an exhaust on it.
There is also a container for generators that is weather proof that has a vent kit that comes with it. If I could remember the sites I would pass them on but the old memory isn't what it once was.

Steven DeMars
10-18-2009, 10:31 AM
You might try this forum for ideas . . . .

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3

If you would like, I could post for you over there if you are not registered and don't want to register . . .

Take care,
Steve

Scott T Smith
10-19-2009, 12:00 AM
I too have a Miller welder - in my case the Trailblazer Pro, and as I recall the 250 Bobcat has a similar sized exhaust pipe (about 1-1/2"). You can pick up some flexible exhaust pipe from a local auto parts store and clamp it over the existing exhaust pipe, and then run it through your wall. At the point where the exhaust pipe goes through the wall, I would suggest installing a double-wall stovepipe so as to isolate the heat from the wall.

Keith Outten
10-19-2009, 7:10 AM
I have searched the Net about all I intend to concerning this project including the Miller Welding Forums that Steven suggested and haven't been able to find a suitable solution.
I think I will take Scott's advice, bite the bullet and make my own from local parts. It won't be as polished but it will be suitable for an old barn :)

The run should be very short so it shouldn't induce any back pressure that would affect the engine but I'm not sure what the acoustic effect is going to be. If I could find a small diameter triple wall insulated stove pipe I think the noise might not be amplified to bad. I'm going to try the flexible exhaust pipe first.

Thanks guys for the help,
Keith

David G Baker
10-19-2009, 2:39 PM
Keith,
Rv sites also have an abundance of info concerning exhaust systems and mufflers for generators. Forgot about them.

Scott T Smith
10-19-2009, 9:33 PM
I have searched the Net about all I intend to concerning this project including the Miller Welding Forums that Steven suggested and haven't been able to find a suitable solution.
I think I will take Scott's advice, bite the bullet and make my own from local parts. It won't be as polished but it will be suitable for an old barn :)

The run should be very short so it shouldn't induce any back pressure that would affect the engine but I'm not sure what the acoustic effect is going to be. If I could find a small diameter triple wall insulated stove pipe I think the noise might not be amplified to bad. I'm going to try the flexible exhaust pipe first.

Thanks guys for the help,
Keith

Keith, the acoustic effect inside the barn should be negligible (as far as the exhaust is concerned). Now engine noise - that's another issue! All in all it shouldn't be too bad.

Keith Outten
10-20-2009, 7:15 AM
Scott,

Miller has done a great job making their welder/generators more quiet over the years. The new Bobcats with the Kohler engines are sweet machines, mine is new and I haven't had much time lately to use it but I have some projects coming up real soon. I have the welder parked in my workshop and it has to be moved, the shop just isn't the place for an engine with all the dust.

I think I will call the local RV dealers today to see if they have something that might work, if not then I am sure I can fabricate something.

Scott T Smith
10-20-2009, 6:57 PM
Scott,

Miller has done a great job making their welder/generators more quiet over the years. The new Bobcats with the Kohler engines are sweet machines, mine is new and I haven't had much time lately to use it but I have some projects coming up real soon. I have the welder parked in my workshop and it has to be moved, the shop just isn't the place for an engine with all the dust.

I think I will call the local RV dealers today to see if they have something that might work, if not then I am sure I can fabricate something.

Yup - they really have done a nice job making them more quiet. My Trailblazer has a diesel, so it's a bit louder than the gas motors, but still not too bad. I've been storing it inside an open sided barn (one side open), and running it inside as needed. It's not too bad from a noise staindpoint.

Good luck with your project.

Keith Outten
10-20-2009, 10:27 PM
Geez, a Trailblazer diesel... I'm envious.
Oh Well, I have more machine than I can handle already :)

Scott T Smith
10-21-2009, 3:06 PM
Geez, a Trailblazer diesel... I'm envious.
Oh Well, I have more machine than I can handle already :)

Keith, it is one sweet machine to weld with, and I have been very pleased with it. The Bobcat is also a great machine, and has an excellent reputation.

Another option on the exhaust pipe is to run straight pipe out the wall. I have an old Onan JB Genset that provides backup power to my house, and it is installed in a small room on the outside of a garage. The exhaust pipe is a piece of 1-1/2" pipe that runs straight out the wall, through a 2-1/2" pipe embedded in the wall. In essence, I built my own double-wall shield. It works great, and stays very cool.