PDA

View Full Version : CMT shaper cutter sets?

Dave Cav
10-17-2009, 11:45 PM
Anyone using one of the CMT shaper cutter sets? cheyennesales.com/catalog/cmtshapersys.htm

Opinions? Comments?

Thanks

Larry Edgerton
10-18-2009, 5:34 AM
I have never used their shaper cutters but have had experiances with them as a company

. I did try their router bits and they did not last any longer than a good HS steel. I bought a nice looking set in a cool box, and the box was the best part. Also I had a 4" long pattern bit from them that had the bearing off center in the end, and as soon as it touched the work it went crazy, bent itself, and screwed up my work which was an expensive project in its final stages. The bearing was way off of center, and when I called the company, they just didn't give a damn, so I just don't buy from them.

Rod Sheridan
10-18-2009, 9:00 PM
Hi Dave, I don't have the CMT one, however I have a 100mm diameter steel version that uses the same knives.

They work very well in solid wood............Rod.

I've included a photo of the cutter head with a straight knife in it, and one of the shaper cutting a rebat with the cutter.

Regards, Rod.

Peter Quinn
10-18-2009, 9:14 PM
Hi Dave, I have the Amana Profile Pro head, 88MM aluminum, it works very well. It is EXACTLY the same system, even the knives are the same profiles with the same product numbers. I think there is some Swiss company that makes these "Euro Blocks" for many different companies, I have seen the same set for sale under the names Amana, CMT, Logosol, Hammer, Laguna, and others.

Cheyenne sells a few 50MM knives that the others don't seem to offer and claim they work in the 40MM head. In any event, I have several and find them quite useful.

Dave Cav
10-18-2009, 9:32 PM
Thanks for the info. Looks like the CMT set will go on the shopping list.

Jesse Rice
10-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Dave,

I have a new unused 1" bore set of these availalbe, as i sold my shaper before i had a chance to use them.

Check you PM

thanks
Jesse