PDA

View Full Version : Intro and Stupid Biscuit Joiner Tricks

Dan Gill
09-23-2004, 3:21 PM
By way of introduction:

I've been looking this site over for several months, and I want to thank all of you for great information.

I'm 46, married for almost 28 years to the same wonderful woman, with three kids, one boy in college (and married almost as young as I was), one boy a senior in high school, and one girl in the 6th grade. I am active (too active?) in my church here in Fort Worth, I'm a technical writer/project manager at my company, and I love woodworking.

I came to woodworking late in life, just a couple of years ago. I never took shop, as that was a very good place to be killed at my school. Seriously. My father-in-law helped me build built-in shelves and cabinets for a room addition a few years back, and I just kind of started in on my own after that. My shop is my garage (most of it). I really enjoy the wood. Right now, though, I'm getting tired of remodeling my kitchen.

That's where the stupid biscuit joiner tricks come in. Two days ago I was building the carcasse for one of the last cabinets to go in. With a raised panel for the end of the run. First I drilled my pocket holes, then measured for the biscuits for the bottom panel and shelf. Yep - you guessed it - I measured from the wrong end, so I have two extra sets of biscuit holes. Then I did something worse. I laid out one of the real slots and put it right through the cove of the raised panel. AAARRRRGGGHHH! Fortunately, it is fairly high on the panel. I planed a thin piece of oak and glued it into the slot. After cutting the excess off the inside and a little sanding work, you can barely see it from 5 feet. I'm going to bite my lip and not tell anyone to see if my mistakes are really as noticeable to everyone else as they are to me.

Sorry this went so long.

Lynn Sonier
09-23-2004, 3:30 PM
Dan, sometimes I think that a woodworker's skill is measured in how cleverly he covers up his boo-boos.

Welcome to the forum.

Chris Padilla
09-23-2004, 3:33 PM
Lynn, well said and I agree! I always learn the most when I mess up and try to fix it...hopefully the mess up is recoverable!! :D

Welcome, Dan...you know that I need to ask you for that pic so we bust your chops for a while on the boo-boo.... :D

Tyler Howell
09-23-2004, 3:52 PM
Go Dan! You already know the rest.

Dan Gill
09-23-2004, 3:53 PM
Well, this isn't the stupid biscuit joiner trick, but here's a shot of the first cabinets I got installed. I made lots of mistakes on these, too. Does that count?

Man, remodeling a kitchen you're trying to use is a pain in the butt!

I'm also attaching a pic of one of my favorite prjojects, a mission lamp I made. I modifed the plan a little to leave the vertical grille stiles proud of the frame.

BTW, Chris. It looks like when they busted your chops at the BBQ, they got your nose instead.

Dan Gill
09-23-2004, 3:54 PM
Oh, and the lamp is sitting on top of a night stand I made to be used as a side table. It's WAY too tall for that. So is that a good enough boo-boo?

Steve Jenkins
09-23-2004, 4:04 PM
Those biscuits can be tricky little devils can't they. If you're careful though and match the grain on a patch they can be nearly invisible. If you get over in Dallas stop in and say hi. I guess you have seen the posts for the BBQ. hope you can make it.Steve

Dave Right
09-23-2004, 4:08 PM
I thought you said you were new at this? Good work! Very nice.

Dan Gill
09-23-2004, 4:08 PM
Steve, I've seen the posts on the barbecue. I am trying to make room in my schedule for it.

Jerry Olexa
09-23-2004, 5:09 PM
Dan Great work!! G'looking cabinets and I like that Lamp!! I've made that same mistake w a biscuit joiner. TAUGHT ME A LESSON FOR THE FUTURE. (excuse caps) Welcome. Glad to have you. I have a college roomate now living in Ft Worth but not a WWer

Wade Samuelson
09-23-2004, 6:12 PM
Well since I don't know what a biscuit jointer is or the difference between slots, coves or pocket holes, I really don't have a clue as to how good a job you did, but I do like the pics though!

Wade