PDA

View Full Version : Planer Help

Robert Maloney
10-17-2009, 10:39 PM
I need help adjusting the height of the four posts on a Delta DC 380 planer. I can get three of the four posts dead on but can't get the fourth. It is actually the first post I set. I started with the right rear post and worked my way around to the right front post, eliminating as much slack as possible in the chain. After adjusting all four posts it seems that when I set the idler sprocket and rotate and recheck, the first post seems to end up lower than the other three. Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated

mickey cassiba
10-18-2009, 9:55 AM
Leveling the head assembly on the DC-380 style planers was among the most frustrating tasks in the recon shop. If you have had the problem since you originally purchased the machine the problem may lie in the sprocket attached to the leveling post in question. If you have one post that is off, after repeated attempts(and it is always the same post) The threaded rod inside the post has may have rotated.
After verifying that the bed is actually flat(a warped base is not common, but not unheard of, and would give you the same problem), lower the head onto a known true surface(I used a granite surface plate, but a set of machinists parallel bars will work as long as they extend all the way through the planer)disconnect the chain, and lock the head. With a feeler gauge identify the misaligned post...in your case you should have three corners that will allow the gauge to slide, and one that will not. Unlock the side that has the alignment problem, loosen the nut on the low post and rotate the threaded rod very slightly . tighten , reconnect the chain , and raise /lower the head, and re-do the test. It's a trial and error thing, some units required five or six attempts. Sometimes we got it on the first try.
If your machine is under warranty, take it in to the S.C., if not get ready for some head scratching.
In the recon shop, this was not a very profitable fix...took too long. We usually scrapped the serial number and used the machine for repair parts for easier to fix machines.

glenn bradley
10-18-2009, 11:03 AM
I would just like to thank Mickey for his many contributions. Since he speaks from experience "in the pits", he is describing what is (or was) done. We sometimes may not like what we hear, but it is always informative. Thanks again, Mickey.

Robert Maloney
10-18-2009, 4:08 PM
Thanks Mickey. I was going to try it again today. I was just frustrated last night. I figured it would take a couple of tries. I just didn't know if ther was any stupid trick I didn't know. You guys here at the creek are very knowledgable and have taught me alot, so I figured I'd ask here first.