PDA

View Full Version : 3520b / vl175

gary Zimmel
10-17-2009, 10:33 PM
Good day to the turners on the Creek.

I would like to get a little feedback from those who know much more than I.
Our woodshows are coming up at the end of the month.
There are a couple of lathes that I know will be there.
The 3520B and the Vicmarc VL175.
Price is pretty much the same up here and the Vicmarc comes with the outboard turning attachment.
In your opinion which would you pick up if you had the choice and why.

I keep telling myself not to get too close to these booths.

And the only way I can post this is my wife is out of town....
If she catches wind of this I am going to tell her I am looking for Walt C. and John K.

Thanks in advance for your input.

alex carey
10-17-2009, 11:05 PM
Personally I'd go for the powermatic. its been proven, it has a 5 year warranty and it can do a larger swing and im pretty sure its actually cheaper.

$2950 for the powermatic and over $3000 for the Vicmarc. I might be wrong again, but I also think the Vicmarc doesn't come with a stand or an immediate way to do outboard.

Walt Caza
10-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Oh Ya?
ummm... errrr...
ok GZ,
that's fine.

I told my wife that I'm just researching hollowing rigs for you!
How do you like those apples?
hmmm?

Baked in a pie with a little cinnamon, of course
Walt

ps the vortex made me do it!

Harlan Coverdale
10-18-2009, 3:40 AM
They are both excellent lathes, but personally, I'd go with the 3520b. Or I should say, I did go with the 3520b. I prefer the sliding headstock over the swiveling one on the Vicmark. I have the dropped extension bed, so I've got something like 38" of capacity. 24" is as big as I've gone so far, and that was awful dang big.

I'm sure whichever one Walt or John gets will work well for you. ;) As I said, they are both great lathes.

JerHall
10-18-2009, 10:41 AM
http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_26cvf2mh&revision=_latest
but none seem to address VM specifically.

Steve Schlumpf
10-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Gary - both are great lathes - so the decision is really a matter of personal choice based on what you want to turn.

If it were me - I would go with the Powermatic because of the same reasons Harlan mentioned - mainly because of the sliding headstock. You have to turn on a fixed head lathe for a while before you can truly appreciate a sliding headstock! It makes a tremendous difference to your back as you are not leaning over the ways when turning bowls! Once you have a lathe with a sliding headstock - and variable speed - you will not go back to turning without those features.

Good luck with your decision!

gary Zimmel
10-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Thanks for the comments.

A 3520B up here is $3390 US. and the Vicmarc $3750.00 Can. which is really a washout with exchange. The VL175 does come with the stand and outboard turning attachment which I am told is worth $500.00

The VL175 does not have the HP the 3520 does so will this be an issue?
Sliding headstock versus swivel. To me a wash. No leaning over on both.
But for the 3520B users.
How is it to remove and put back on the tail stock?

Again thanks for the input.
Or should I say Walt and John thank you......

alex carey
10-18-2009, 1:13 PM
well there are plenty of ways to remedy that but personally being 19 years old I have no problem lifting it. If you think you'll have a problem here is a list of ways to fix it.

http://docs.google.com/View?docID=d4b7vjd_31hpg89x&revision=_latest
It weights in at around 50# give or take a few.

Not sure how much hp the vicmarc has, if its 1 1/2 hp you'll definitely know the difference especially if you plan on doing a lot of bowls/coring. You'll just have to take it a bit slower.

Chris Haas
10-18-2009, 2:05 PM
i dont know how fast you need the lathe, or if brand new matters to you, but if i was about to stroke a $3K check for a lathe, i would be looking on craigslist for a oneway 2436, or a pm4224. there is a 4224 in myrtle beach SC right now asking $3900 with a ton of accessories, another in ohio for 3000.
as long as its a reputable brand, i see no reason to pay full sticker price. just my 2 cents.

gary Zimmel
10-18-2009, 6:10 PM
Point taken David and I respect your opinion.

While having the ability to do a rehab, I just don't want to make the time.
Most of my hand tools are N.A. made.
I would hate to admit how many times companies like LN sent yet another package to my office.
My 8" General Canada jointer is a dream but the price difference from the General Int. to Canadian was hard to swallow but once bought the bleeding stopped. The value in the machine in the end was worth it.
I am with you on keeping our economy healthy here.
Even with times a bit tougher I still do my part to keep things going.
Save a little, but keep spending.

I have tried to find used close to home but have had no luck finding what I want.
Having something ship form the states or the other side if the country doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
So I do what I know best and thats spend my dollars close to home.
In doing my part these folks keep buying homes and that enables me to buy more tools...
Again I respect your opinion and believe we are on the same page with keeping our economy going.

Dick Sowa
10-18-2009, 8:20 PM
I happen to own a 3520b, and am very happy with it.

One thing that most folks don't ever have to deal with, is service when something goes wrong. From what I have read, PM owners are treated very well, and have nothing but good things to say about how their issues were resolved.

I know nothing about Vicmarc service, but it might be worth comparing reviews to see how they stack up.

Frank Drew
10-19-2009, 2:39 PM
If it were me - I would go with the Powermatic because of the same reasons Harlan mentioned - mainly because of the sliding headstock. You have to turn on a fixed head lathe for a while before you can truly appreciate a sliding headstock! It makes a tremendous difference to your back as you are not leaning over the ways when turning bowls! Once you have a lathe with a sliding headstock - and variable speed - you will not go back to turning without those features.

What Steve says; this is an enormous improvement in lathe design.

John Keeton
10-19-2009, 3:36 PM
And the only way I can post this is my wife is out of town....
If she catches wind of this I am going to tell her I am looking for Walt C. and John K.I'm there for ya' Gary!!;) And, just to make sure this plan works, I will agree to take delivery in KY. We don't want Geri suspecting anything here, and that is the only way to really play it safe!:D