PDA

View Full Version : First Turning

mickey cassiba
10-17-2009, 8:56 PM
I finally got the computer, camera and lathe working all on the same day.
Though it isn't officially my first wood turning, it is the first one of record.
I didn't have a form or shape in mind, rather I wanted to try tools , speeds and the machine in general.
It is loosely based on a fountain that I saw in Mexico, KD red oak using mini HSS tools. Unsanded and obviously unfinished.
Please be brutal, I want to know what is wrong and how to fix it. the tearout on the bottom half really bothered me, I was cutting light with a (?) bullnose scraper. It didn't catch but a large flake did fly off.
I will be taking it to meeting next week to get opinions as well, but the more the merrier.
Thanks for your time and comments.
Mickey

Gary Conklin
10-17-2009, 9:03 PM
I think that is a rite of passage for all new Turners! Keep at it!

Kenneth Whiting
10-17-2009, 9:16 PM
I'm the last person to give advice, being that I still haven't bought my tools much turned anything, but it looks nice. I can see the fountain inspiration.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-17-2009, 9:36 PM
Mickey,

Nice 1st bonker!

Critique.....make more.......learn to friction finish on the lathe.:rolleyes:

Nicely done for your first turning!

Bernie Weishapl
10-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Nicely done. Great looking bonker.

Paul Atkins
10-18-2009, 3:57 AM
I think the congratulations go for getting 3 things working the same day! Make 10 more and then see what you think. Glad to see your enthusiasm.

Harlan Coverdale
10-18-2009, 4:11 AM
It's the first fountain bonker I've ever seen, and it fits both bills just fine. Don't stress too much on the tearout. As you get familiar with the tools it will be less and less of a problem. Getting a finishing cut with a scraper takes practice in both tool technique and sharpening technique. The best advice was given above. Turn more. :)

John Keeton
10-18-2009, 6:04 AM
From one newbie to another - excellent!! I was not willing to try red oak on my first one!!

Barry Elder
10-18-2009, 8:58 AM
To be "cutting" with a "scraper" is not likely. You probably "scraped" your way through the turning. Oak is not easy to get a good finish on. When you realize the difference between cutting and scraping, I imagine you will get a great big grin on your face. As Gary said, "A rite of passage" for us all at some time or other.

mickey cassiba
10-18-2009, 10:44 AM
Thanks guys, right now all the wood that I get is from work. We make hardwood mouldings and it's all KD. We have some cedar, but I can't stand the smell. We do have some pine but most of it is fingerjoint and I've seen it fall apart on the re-saws. Not about to put any on the lathe.
I've got some mahogany but it's pretty small, I'm saving it for pen blanks, and lots of poplar. I joined a turning club last week, and the guys seem to be pretty knowledgeable, really hope to learn a lot. Tools and tooling are my main problem now, money's just too tight to justify buying "hobby"stuff, although I am sending a box of steel and carbide up north(Jeff, if you're reading, the box is packed and will be going out Tuesday). Beside the Delta miniature HSS tool set I have a HF "Precision Lathe Tool" set that appears to be low carbon steel ground by dragging down a rough road. Get what you pay for , huh?
I definitely intend to keep turning, as well as playing with all the other neat toys I acquired while working for Delta.
PS :What's a "Bonker?
Mickey

Steve Schlumpf
10-18-2009, 10:54 AM
Mickey - congrats on your first 'posted' turning! I understand wood is hard to come by but you sure pick some stuff that is difficult to work with! If there is a home being built nearby - stop in and ask for a couple pieces of 2x cutoffs. The pine/fir is great for learning spindle turning on and the Job Boss would be happy to get rid of the scraps!

The name Bonker applies to any of our first spindle turnings. Usually the turning is non-functional and is just the result of experimenting with tools, cuts, etc - just like you did. About the only function these things have - if done large enough - is a fish bonker, a small club! Other than that - they make for some great looking fire-starters!

Keep asking questions and have fun! Looking forward to seeing your next turning!

Keith Christopher
10-18-2009, 11:25 AM
Mickey,

You're on the right track ! Learning the tools and speeds and how they affect what you're doing. Also important is to know the wood you're turning. As others have said, oak is typically not prime for turning. But great to learn on because it's readily available and inexpensive.

You have no choice, the vortex has you now. keep on spinnin.

Keith

Jeff Nicol
10-18-2009, 6:51 PM
Mickey, Looks like where we all begin, keep it on the shelf and look at it as time passes and you will see all your questions answered. I for one love to turn Oak of any kind and any dryness! Love the smell of it and I think it is one of the easiest woods to turn. My brain has been in over drive waiting for the box to arrive!!! I am like a made scientist waiting for my next body part!!! Keep on practicing and we will get you to where you want to be as a wood turner!

Have a great night,

Jeff

mickey cassiba
10-18-2009, 9:58 PM
Mickey, Looks like where we all begin, keep it on the shelf and look at it as time passes and you will see all your questions answered. I for one love to turn Oak of any kind and any dryness! Love the smell of it and I think it is one of the easiest woods to turn. My brain has been in over drive waiting for the box to arrive!!! I am like a made scientist waiting for my next body part!!! Keep on practicing and we will get you to where you want to be as a wood turner!

Have a great night,

Jeff Found a few more long pieces...barely fit in the box. If the USPS guys don't destroy it, I think you'll be pleased. Hope you can make a bowl gouge out of some of it for me, though I suspect it is too thin. Also, I am interested in your steady rests... though I cant afford one at this time. Have you any to fit the Delta 46-250/LA200. I can send specs for the way dimensions if needed. Also IIRC Aspen is native to your area, how is it to turn. Around here, all the wood is dry. Even living trees are near KD dryness...drought , you understand. Toss a little green wood in the box if you would. I'd love to try it.
Mickey

mickey cassiba
10-18-2009, 9:59 PM
PS: Did you get your bear?

Curt Fuller
10-18-2009, 11:36 PM
If your learning experience is anything like mine, the first thing you have to do is just get used to sticking a solid metal object into a spinning piece of wood without flinching. You've done very well for a first shot at it. The piece you've done is a good example of the different basic cuts, coves, beads, tapers, etc. Just keep practicing, watch someone at your club and have them watch you, and you'll get it.