PDA

View Full Version : Small Toolrest for Jet Lathe

Jack Hogoboom
09-23-2004, 3:15 PM
I'd like to get a narrower toolrest for my Jet 1442 lathe. Anyone have any ideas about where to get one?

Jack

Tom Hintz
09-23-2004, 3:32 PM
The Woodcraft in Charlotte has 6" long tool rests in Jet bags. I've had one for a couple years and it is nice to have handy.

Jim Becker
09-23-2004, 9:30 PM
Packard Woodworks, Woodcraft, BestWood Tools, Craft Supplies...nearly every retailer that caters to turning can help you out with rests. I happen to like dealing with Packard. Nice folks and a small business worthy of support. Same goes if you have a local Woodcraft. (there is one opening soon in the Allentown PA area)

Jack Hogoboom
09-23-2004, 9:39 PM
Allentown's only an hour away from me. :) Wonder when they'll open one in NJ.

Jim, do you know the diameter of the Jet post? I went on their website but couldn't find anything and don't trust my ability to measure diameters correctly.

Jack

Jim Becker
09-23-2004, 9:45 PM
Jack, you need to pick up a caliper...very handy to have both for at the lathe and for flat work to check thicknessing. (I have two {one was my ex's grandfather's} and like the one that shows fractions better!) I could be wrong, but I believe the 1442 takes a 1" post...which is pretty standard.

There must be something about setting up franchise businesses in NJ that has kept Woodcrafts from being attractive to open. There are at least 4 in PA, including the soon-to-be-opened store in Allentown!

John Shuk
09-23-2004, 9:50 PM
I have a Jet1236 and I bought a 4" Delta toolrest from Amazon. This fits just fine. I think the diameter is 1". I don't think it was all that expensive.

Brad Schmid
09-23-2004, 11:26 PM
Jack,

I have a 1642 (1" post) and use a Sorby rest. It's an interchangeable rest (ie. post threaded on top), and you can buy several lengths and styles of rests which screw on. I have several different length straight ones, the curved ones for interior and exterior bowl turning, and a flat rest for reaching inside hollow forms with a scraper. I like it because it takes up less space than having several 1 piece rests, its solid, and it's machined well.
Cheers,
Brad