PDA

View Full Version : Thinning The Herd

mickey cassiba
10-17-2009, 8:17 PM
Need some advice about dado sets. I have three, realistically I only need one. They are an Oldham 8" set ; complete, but used, Mibro 8" also complete and used, and a Delta 35-7670; new. The Oldham and Mibro have two bitted chippers , while the Delta has 4 bitted chippers. All three have a 13/16" total width along with shim sets to possibly bump it up a little.
Please understand(to the moderators) I am not authorized to offer them for sale on the creek...my check hasn't cleared yet so I do not yet have "contributor" status.
I am simply trying to determine which one I should keep and what value to place on the other two. I have pics of the Mibro, the Oldham and Delta I don't.
Thanks for looking,
Mickey

glenn bradley
10-17-2009, 8:58 PM
The Delta may be the one also marketed as a DeWalt which gets good reviews. I would keep the one with 4 tooth chippers as long as the outer plates did a good job. Its like links in a chain with dado stacks; one weak link and you get sub-optimal results. I'd make a crosscut with each stack in some red oak or ash or other notoriously tearout prone wood and judge from that.

Michael Schwartz
10-17-2009, 9:03 PM
The delta is probably the best.

Tools in good condition usually run 60% of there cost new, maybe a bit less for blades. I would see what there retail price is via amazon.com or google search.

mickey cassiba
10-17-2009, 9:04 PM
The Delta may be the one also marketed as a DeWalt which gets good reviews. I would keep the one with 4 tooth chippers as long as the outer plates did a good job. Its like links in a chain with dado stacks; one weak link and you get sub-optimal results. I'd make a crosscut with each stack in some red oak or ash or other notoriously tearout prone wood and judge from that.
Am I wrong in assuming that the outer blades are merely thin kerk circ. saw blades or are they different(aside from the diameter?