PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaws: Hitachi or Lobo

Kevin Jaynes
10-17-2009, 4:25 PM
I'm looking at a Lobo 20" model BS-0202. It's a 3HP for $800. He claims it's a 3Ø motor but he was unsure when I told him they never offered it from the factory that way. I can't find a single review for this saw anywhere. I did find one for their 18" saw and it was rated fairly high for a Tiawanese saw. I do have 3Ø in my shop so if it's really a 3Ø motor that's a big plus.

The other one is the Hitachi CB75F 5HP 1Ø 240V for $1200. I found plenty of reviews on this saw, and they all had a common theme: "Great saw. Well built. But wayyyy underpowered!" type of thing. It comes stock with a 15A 120V universal motor so it's like a joke with that thing ion it when it;'s classified as a resaw. However, the one I am looking at, the guy did the 5HP 240V upgrade, so the power issue is resolved. It's a 1Ø so the 3Ø Lobo (if it's 3Ø) would probably keep up with the Hitachi in the power dept.

They both have 11 3/4" max cutting height, and both have similar features. The Hitachi takes blades from 3/4" up to 3" which is a big plus for heavy resaw. The Lobo takes 3/4" or 1" max. Both have vulcanized tires, Hitachi has cast wheels and I don't know about the Lobo wheels. Hitachi has a good brake don't knwo about the Lobo.

The big knock on the Hitachi is that it doesn't have roller bearings, it has guide bushings only. The guy says he has the coversion kit "somewhere I think".

Does anyone own one of these saws or know anything about them? I'm leaning toward the Hitachi as there's no doubt it's gonna be higher quality overall, but if the Lobo is 3Ø that's a big plus for me, and it is $400 less.

William Falberg
10-17-2009, 5:32 PM
Why in the world would you need a 3HP motor for a saw that only cuts 11.75" ? For that matter, why would you want to run any more than a 1" blade? It sounds like you're confusing the components of a saw mill and applying them to a consumer-sized frame. It sounds like an extreme case of priorities conflict. Unless I'm missing a critical clue it sounds like both machines are built way out of proportion. You'll need a little extra power to turn those cast iron wheels but not so much as you'd miss it much. You didn't mention the important stuff like the tensioner; spring rate, slides, adjustment etc. or the wheel mountings. Will the frame and drive components even support more than an inch of blade? How much heat will the blade guides' thrust support bearings generate; are they oriented laterally or radially? What about fences, etc., etc., etc.

Kevin Jaynes
10-17-2009, 5:54 PM
. . . . You didn't mention the important stuff like the tensioner; spring rate, slides, adjustment etc. or the wheel mountings. Will the frame and drive components even support more than an inch of blade? How much heat will the blade guides' thrust support bearings generate; are they oriented laterally or radially? What about fences, etc., etc., etc.

. . .
Does anyone own one of these saws or know anything about them?

It sounds like I was asking for information from past or present owners, not trying to review the saws. But FYI I'll be using it to resaw very hard woods i.e Pecan, Bois D' Arc, Oak, Persimmon etc. and I'll need all the help I can get. If they are overkill (which neither is) then so be it.

Larry Edgerton
10-17-2009, 6:52 PM
Why in the world would you need a 3HP motor for a saw that only cuts 11.75" ? For that matter, why would you want to run any more than a 1" blade? It sounds like you're confusing the components of a saw mill and applying them to a consumer-sized frame. It sounds like an extreme case of priorities conflict. Unless I'm missing a critical clue it sounds like both machines are built way out of proportion. You'll need a little extra power to turn those cast iron wheels but not so much as you'd miss it much. You didn't mention the important stuff like the tensioner; spring rate, slides, adjustment etc. or the wheel mountings. Will the frame and drive components even support more than an inch of blade? How much heat will the blade guides' thrust support bearings generate; are they oriented laterally or radially? What about fences, etc., etc., etc.

You are obviously talking about something you know nothing about. Go back to reading your books.

Kevin.

I had one of the Hitachis, with the double bearing blade guides, and I have done the conversion, not for a lack of power so much as to get rid of the noise that the stock motor makes. drove me nuts. That being said the saw is awesome, and despite what some may parrot, the wide blades are awesome. I have used and abused the saw in a commercial enviroment {employees!} It did eveything I asked it to do and never broke. I recently sold it because I am forced to downsize, but I am already looking for another one. My wife thinks she want to make all the cedar shingles for our new house, so I am going to buy her a present! ;)

Dave Lehnert
10-17-2009, 7:11 PM
I think the Lobo was a kinda off brand unit.

Kevin Jaynes
10-17-2009, 8:26 PM
Larry, Thank you for your helpful and constructive input. I'm glad to have found a past owner. So from your experience with this model, at $1200 even needing a guide conversion it is a fair deal? It sounded like a good buy to me and I think I will get it.

Dave I look at Lobo as an off brand as well, but I read somewhere that they've been around like 17 years or something. Of course you can read anything online. They don't have an "About Us" page on their website, and I would think if they'd been in business for 17 years they'd want woodworkers to know that. I'm going to get the Hitachi anyway.

Dave Lehnert
10-17-2009, 9:34 PM
Larry, Thank you for your helpful and constructive input. I'm glad to have found a past owner. So from your experience with this model, at $1200 even needing a guide conversion it is a fair deal? It sounded like a good buy to me and I think I will get it.

Dave I look at Lobo as an off brand as well, but I read somewhere that they've been around like 17 years or something. Of course you can read anything online. They don't have an "About Us" page on their website, and I would think if they'd been in business for 17 years they'd want woodworkers to know that. I'm going to get the Hitachi anyway.

I was not aware Lobo was around today.

Good luck with your saw.

Larry Edgerton
10-18-2009, 7:33 AM
Kevin, I can't remember what I paid new, but I know it was considerably North of that. I actually wanted something else but this one was immediatly available so I bought it, and was not sorry. Its not a very pretty machine, but it works well.

Too bad you are so far away, I have a 12" Porter Jointer I am not going to have room for in my new shop that would be a good companion piece to that saw.

Phil Thien
10-18-2009, 10:19 AM
Absolutely take the upgraded Hitachi. No contest.

The only complaint I've seen about them is that they are noisy and underpowered. That has been fixed w/ the motor upgrade.