PDA

View Full Version : Latest Thompson Tools

Mike Minto
10-17-2009, 1:24 PM
Just got my latest order from Doug - really fast, like 2 days after order/payment. Anyway, I wanted one of his big bowl gouges, here the 3/4 'U' shape; and one he made for Mark St. Leger, a 5/8 spindle gouge. I had not seen the shape before, and this posting is mainly to let others see what the tool looks like. Anyway, forgive the lousy photography, and enjoy! Mike

John Keeton
10-17-2009, 2:08 PM
Mike, good looking tools! What wood do you anticipate using for handles?

This lathe tool thing is so new for me. I really think I have what I need, but as everyone has warned, the vortex is strong!! And, people like you that post pics of their new toys don't help!:D

Mike Minto
10-17-2009, 2:21 PM
haha, glad to be of service, John :rolleyes:. What I'm doing is actually building up a stock of tools for the future, right now - I mean, these things last a long time, but not forever, so I'm sort of 'collecting' - every month I'm going to buy 2 or 3 tools until I develop an inventory for my future turning. The wood I usually use for handles is cherry, sometimes walnut, from boards I have on hand. Have used Oak and Ash, however. This may be kind of odd behaviour, but have started doing the same thing with bottles of good scotch - an investment in the future, in a practical way! Mike

Jack Mincey
10-17-2009, 3:07 PM
Mike,
The gouges look great as all Doug's tools do. I saw Mark St Leger do a demo in the spring and he uses the 5/8" spindle gouge (which is the shape of a roughing gouge) to do a lot of his work at the lathe. If you ever get a chance to see mark do a demo, it will be a learning experience for you. He is an excellent instructor and has a ton of knowledge to share.
Jack

Mike Minto
10-17-2009, 3:19 PM
Jack, I've only been lucky enough to see 2 or 3 pros do demos; it was at the Richmond symposium. They sure do make it look easy. I really need to post what video I took there on Youtube. Looking forward to seeing some more in the future! Mike

Bernie Weishapl
10-17-2009, 5:08 PM
Great looking tools Mike. I have several of Doug's tools and have been stocking in a few as I plan to retire soon. Don't know if I will be able to buy after that but will be pretty much set when I go for a long time to come.