PDA

View Full Version : I got an answer

Steve Mawson
10-17-2009, 1:05 PM
Several weeks back I had asked the opinion of folks here on the Creek about what a person could do using University Logo's. I have posted a couple of pictures of what I have made using a University of Nebraska golf ball marker. I bought the markers at retail so the University fee and I suppose the NCAA fee was paid on the marker at that time. However I have talked with a person that manages a store that sells a lot of University and NCAA items. She tells me that if you do anything to the original item you bought that "ADDS VALUE" to the item then the University and probably the NCAA will be wanting a cut on the increased value. I have not found out what percentage the University and NCAA would take but doubt that I can sell them for enough to make it a worthwhile project. Just thought I would let everyone know what I found out even though I am not very happy with the answer.

Stoppers came from Ruth Niles. Had a visit with her when I ordered and she is a terrific person. A real pleasure to do business with.

Guess who is getting Christmas presents that are already made! I don't think I can get into trouble giving them away.

Keith Palmer
10-17-2009, 1:14 PM
That is a great idea! My mother and father-in-law are both from Nebraska, every saturday he has his Huskers flag up on the pole!

Steve Schlumpf
10-17-2009, 1:18 PM
Well, at least you found out before you started doing production runs of your stoppers! Good looking stoppers and the recipients should really appreciate them knowing that they are one-of-a-kind items!

Christopher Pine
10-17-2009, 3:44 PM
Well I see the main probem. Making Nebraska stuff is why you are dealing with all these road blocks! You should try CU stuff and I bet the money will just roll in! :)
Just joking. It is unfortunate that this kind of stuff is so proprietary. You would think tehy would welcome teh promotion of there universty! As in teh end I think everyone would win!

Chris

Jim Underwood
10-17-2009, 3:55 PM
Collegiate licensing is a big deal. There's a huge application document for it, and it takes a while, and a bit of money to successfully apply...

http://www.clc.com/clcweb/publishing.nsf/Content/Home.html

Bernie Weishapl
10-17-2009, 5:04 PM
Great looking stoppers Steve.

Jeff Nicol
10-18-2009, 11:06 AM
You said that if you improve the college named item you would have to pay for royalies. But in fact you are iproving the bottle stopper. You are not altering the ball marker to make it something else and making money off the ball marker. Like I said before you paid for the ball marker and it is yours to so what ever you want. If you market it as a bottle stopper with a free college emblem, how can they say you are selling the ball marker again for profit? The ball marker is the same as it was when you bought it and you are not promoting it as liscensed Nebraska merchandise. You are promoting your turned bottle stoppers, but as we all know logic and common sense thinking are thrown out the window on some of these things. But I truly think you need to talk to someone that is up on the laws exactly. If you put the Nebraska logo on it with your own creation and design of the logo and then said it is official Nebraska merchandise it would be wrong and then it would be a problem. If you had a jersey from 40 years ago that is not worth tne times what you paid for it, you could not sell it? So if that is the case everthing that has a copyrighted name on it: Ford, Chevrolet, Green Bay Packers, Honda, State of Nebraska or what ever can never be sold again? It makes no sense!!

I see people selling things all the time with logos on them and I know they did not pay for any royalties, I think I mentioned it before if you had 10,000 ball markers made in China and sold them that way the SH#$#%#^ would hit the fan!

Just my thoghts,

Jeff