PDA

View Full Version : Corel Macro 101

Steve Clarkson
10-17-2009, 1:03 PM
I'm trying to install a macro and can't quite figure out how to do it. I know that it must be saved in the GMS folder....which I have done.....but when I go to tools, macros, all.....it's not there. When I try to install the macro (the file is supposed to self install) I get errors and it doesn't work.

I bought the full version of X4, so that shouldn't be the issue....but strangely, under documentation, there isn't really anything about installing macros.....only creating your own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Ruben Salcedo
10-17-2009, 2:06 PM
I do not have much experience with macros either, but I have one suggestion, did you try restarting Corel?

Ruben

Steve Clarkson
10-17-2009, 2:15 PM
Yup.....even rebooted my computer......still didn't work.

Ruben Salcedo
10-17-2009, 2:22 PM
Have you ask the source were you get the macro if it's compatible with X4?

Some times macros are design for different version that don't work in a newer versions.

Ruben

Jeff Bratt
10-17-2009, 2:29 PM
Corel macros are based on Visual Basic for Applications (VBA). So what version of windows you are using vs where the macro was created might affect this functionality. Also, there is some information about macros available from the Corel
website.

VBA has a separate help section:
(looks like it works just like this for X4 also...)
From the Corel website...

To learn more about VBA and VBA macros, you can consult the CorelDRAW VBA Help and the VBA Programming Guide for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3.

To access the CorelDRAW VBA Help, click Tools > Visual Basic > Visual Basic Editor, and press F2. In the Object browser, choose CorelDRAW from the Library list box, and press F1.
To access the VBA Programming Guide for CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3, on your Windows taskbar, click Start > All programs > CorelDRAW Graphics Suite X3 > Documentation.

John Noell
10-17-2009, 2:54 PM
If it's a gms file (like radialarray.gms) what initially tripped me up was how to access it once in the gms folder. In X4 it is Tools -> Macros -> Run macros - and then comes the weird part. It looks (at last to me) like nothing is there but when you click on the lower button next to "Macros in" you get a pop-out list of al the macros in the gms older. THEN it works (assuming you have selected the appropriate object if needed, like with the radialarray macro from Aaron here at SMC).

Dave Johnson29
10-17-2009, 2:55 PM
but when I go to tools, macros, all.....it's not there.

What is the file extension on the macro file? Is it .GMS

Steve Clarkson
10-17-2009, 7:04 PM
OK, after 11 hours, I finally figured out how to install it!!!!!

Dave, you actually helped me solve it......it was an installation program, not a file with the .gms extension. So after unzipping it, I right clicked on it and instead of open.....there is an option to run it as Administrator......it installed in less than a milli-second.

OK......so this macro is AWESOME!!!!!! It takes horizontal text and makes it vertical:

TEXT

To:

T
E
X
T

all in one click!

Dee Gallo
10-17-2009, 7:08 PM
OK, after 11 hours, I finally figured out how to install it!!!!!

Dave, you actually helped me solve it......it was an installation program, not a file with the .gms extension. So after unzipping it, I right clicked on it and instead of open.....there is an option to run it as Administrator......it installed in less than a milli-second.

OK......so this macro is AWESOME!!!!!! It takes horizontal text and makes it vertical:

TEXT

To:

T
E
X
T

all in one click!
Steve - did you go through all that just to avoid pressing the return button 3 times? :rolleyes:

Steve Clarkson
10-17-2009, 7:15 PM
LOL! Yep!

I've never installed or used a macro before......so I really wanted to learn.....I only crashed my computer 7 times trying to install that thing!

Dan Hintz
10-17-2009, 8:04 PM
Steve,

Are you running X4 and X5 on the same system? I totally booted X4 from mine to give X5 a clean slate.

Dave Johnson29
10-18-2009, 10:03 AM
Dave, you actually helped me solve it.

Steve, that was the whole point of me asking. Since it did not show up in the list, there were only two possibilities, installed in the wrong GMS folder or it did not have the GMS extension and was therefore not a macro file. :D

Steve Clarkson
10-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Steve, that was the whole point of me asking. Since it did not show up in the list, there were only two possibilities, installed in the wrong GMS folder or it did not have the GMS extension and was therefore not a macro file. :D

OK, so now I'm trying to install a second one (WITH a GMS extension) and it still says that I do not have permission.....and this time, install as administrator is not an option. When I click on the zipped file and try to save it in the GMS folder, it says I do not have permission. These macros are more of a hassle then they are worth.......

Dave Johnson29
10-18-2009, 12:47 PM
When I click on the zipped file and try to save it in the GMS folder, it says I do not have permission. These macros are more of a hassle then they are worth.......

That is Vista doing that. Are you using Home Premium? Extract the files in a public folder then transfer the ones you need to the GMS folder.

You can change the security permissions of the folder but easier to do as I suggested above.

Steve Clarkson
10-18-2009, 2:07 PM
You're a genius Dave.....it worked! Thanks!

Roy Nicholson
10-19-2009, 8:40 AM
Steve

I've seen a few Corel macros but not one for teh vertical text.

I thought there may have been a keyboard shortcut or hot key for it but the vertical text just turns the text through 90 degrees.

I've attached a list of keyboard shortcuts in case anyone wants them.

If anyone knows anymore could they please post them.

Regards

Roy N.

Dave Johnson29
10-19-2009, 10:41 AM
You're a genius Dave.

Thanks, Steve.

:D I am not so sure about that "genius" thing, but I have labored long and hard to figure out the mindset of the out-of-control Vista programmers. What a bunch of rudderless souls they were. There is always a way to get around things, no matter how hard they tried to autocratically demand control. :)

Al Bray
10-19-2009, 10:50 PM
The Vista feature "User Account Control (UAC) is what is causing the problem.

You can turn off the "User Account Control" feature in Vista to ensure it doesn't get in your way in the future.

Start Menu/Control Panel/User Accounts then click on "Turn User Account Control On or Off" . In the screen that pops up, uncheck the box infront of "Use User Account Control".

This sets the security back similar to the way it worked in XP (meaning that a User Account that was set to Administrator is really allowed to do anything on that machine).

The machine will have to be rebooted for the settings to take affect but it gets rid of all the annoying "asking-for- permission-to-run-things" dialog boxes and other issues like the one faced here.

Just tell Vista security to get out of the way ;-)

- Al

Dave Johnson29
10-20-2009, 10:46 AM
The Vista feature "User Account Control (UAC) is what is causing the problem.

Hi Al,

It actually goes deeper than that. Turning off the UAC would not solve Steve's problem. The .zip and .exe extensions and a few others cannot be copied to folders that do not have the security options set to allow it, even if you are logged in as Admin.

It is a "feature" of Vista version below Business. It happens when transferring files from other media, like a network, hard drive, thumb drive or a public area on the same drive.

Al Bray
10-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Dave,

So right you are. Forgot about that "Feature" of the Home iterations of Vista

I don't use the them much as my day job requires the advanced features in Vista Preium/Ultimate so we can effectively manage the hundreds of workstations we oversee via Group Policies and such.

My understanding is there is a way to reg hack this "feature" on the home editions, but to do so leaves your machines more susptible to virus infections.

Best to be avoided if you can use an alternate workaround as you pointed out.

- Al